Tae Kim is Korean

Yes

No, that’s okay.

BTW, does anyone know what nationality Cure Dolly is (or, the creator, you know what I mean)? I just assume the voice masks that.

2 Likes

I don’t think she ever mention it… At least not in her videos or books. She is really good at keeping the persona !

I often find that language teachers where the instructed language is their 2nd language are often better at explaining the grammar than native speakers.

Not all people of course. Just in my case. I love teaching English but my German friend who is also a teacher knows grammar more indepth than I do.

3 Likes

I learned grammar from some weird android on youtube… lel
She wasn’t even human, let alone Japanese… :laughing:

2 Likes

I’m Korean so just talking from experience

4 Likes

Another fun example from the lingthusiasm podcast: There are obviously rules for where you can insert the f-word into another word for emphasis. You say abso-f-ing-lutely, for instance, not ab-f-ing-solutely or absolute-f-ing-ly. Saying it wrong really sounds super weird.

Still I very much doubt anyone has been taught these rules in English class! :slight_smile:

11 Likes

So… is Wikipedia wrong in stating that Korean has a future tense and subject-verb agreement? Does Japanese have a future tense that nobody ever told me about? Because those things are kind of a big deal.

Never said they weren’t. I didn’t say that the grammar is exactly the same. I said it’s basically the same, as in you can pretty much do word for word translation and not run into too much trouble. What I was trying to say is that “because the grammar is similar, it is easier for a Korean speaker to learn Japanese grammar than most other people”, or something along those lines. And don’t reply back to this. I don’t want to start drama.

3 Likes

If you had phrased it like this to begin with, we wouldn’t be having this discussion.

Also, you do not get to tell me which posts I am allowed to respond to and doing that is exactly the kind of overtly hostile behavior that creates drama. Would it really kill you to admit that something you said was maybe phrased in a way that might be a bit misleading, rather than pour more oil into the fire?

4 Likes

Very well put :+1:

guys, stop arguing!

9 Likes

Her teaching skills are sublime. Not only what she teaches is groundbreaking in terms of Japanese structure, but the pace in which she speaks is calm and expressive and her analogies to explain things are very appropriate. The only downside for me is her high-pitch warped voice.

Offtopic, It is such a pity she is continually hiding behind a virtual doll persona all the time. I am intrigued about who she is and her story, but she won’t put down her shields.

4 Likes

But would it be a J-drama or a K-drama?

22 Likes

~don’t you start XD~

2 Likes

After reading this discussion I found this interesting comparison if you’re interested - Comparison of Japanese and Korean - Wikipedia It addresses the future tense there too and was quite a fascinating read :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

6 Likes

I’m british and she sounds english to me but could just be a voice mod

1 Like

Jeez, some of the replies here… did we get invaded by redditors? Cool your nuts boiz

8 Likes

If you want people to calm down maybe don’t insult them?

A jk drama :eye:

17 Likes

Apparently they are currently an American, formerly British, and also runs a cult on the side. Yes, the person in the video is thing same person. Apparently the cult also used to be involved with the far right (actual fascist parties). She has been doxed, so I won’t say more.

11 Likes