Tactical skipping/marking some things as "correct"

Not really “skipping”, as it is impossible, but after I started using WK, I realised 2 things for myself:

1. Radicals aren’t that useful as part of the SRS;
  2. Kanji are memorised better through vocab, it is easier to remember both on and kun yomis this way when they are used in real words.

So it leads me to the thing that I always mark radicals and kanji as “correct” using a script.

Does anyone of higher level use it as well? I feel it made my user experience much, much better since there is no unnecessary drag and no frustration over forgetting some silly radical name.

On a side note, I also skip things like number + day or number + anything, really - it is frustrating and and isn’t worth the effort, and judging by my experience with other languages I studied (English, French and German) such basic but annoying things are picked up more naturally when you start using the language more actively, and it isn’t necessary to bother with it too much.

1 Like

Sounds like you just want to skip everything, and then declare yourself fluent.
Its one thing to not like radicals. But kanji? “I’ll just skip right to the vocab… and also skip ‘silly’ vocab as well” Congrats, you’ll on your way to nothing.
What’s next “I don’t need to study grammar, its pointless, I’ll just pick it up naturally through using (watching Naruto) the language”

17 Likes

Japanese counting is different than other languages and actually definitely worth the effort to think about.

19 Likes

Why bother with WK at all then?

6 Likes

I like the vocab SRS.

Could you elaborate please? Do you mean the counting after hundred?

There are different counter words to use for people, sheets, machines, animals, etc.

3 Likes

There are much more complete vocab sources (and free ones too I might add), that you could use. It’s not as if WK is known for the best collection of vocab out there.

1 Like

I know.

I used Anki for French and German, but with Japanese I like WK more.

I mean that you can’t assume anything about how counting things works… being able to count to 10 doesn’t mean you can automatically count to ten books, or months, or days. You have to learn the readings case-by-case, and you have to learn which counter to use. WK’s choice of vocab helps some with that, it’s definitely not arbitrary.

http://www.guidetojapanese.org/learn/complete/counting

4 Likes

Yea, this thread makes you sound like you just don’t like effort and hard work. Radicals are important at least up until you bring the corresponding kanji to higher SRS tiers. Maybe if you accidentally put the kanji name for that radical when it’s up for burn, then for that radical it’s probably nbd if you ignore that one.

The whole point of WK is that it has a system of mnemonics that build up from radicals to the kanji to the vocab. You are wasting your money otherwise if you aren’t using the advantages that WK has over other systems.

Sounds like you just want people to validate your laziness.

2 Likes

Makes sense, thanks.

1 Like

To be fair, I’m lazy too and I think laziness is a virtue.

However, I don’t think OP is lazy. I think OP (and many others learning foreign languages) wants instant gratification; a.k.a. I want to go to Japan in 2 months, therefore I’m learning Japanese now as quickly as possible.

On the other hand, there is no shortcut to success. Ask Thomas Alva Edison.

1 Like

Clearly he’s not lazy. He’s already <‘cough>studied<’/cough> French and German.

No offence, but making assumptions about people based on one post with concrete question is just weird.

Japanese is 4th foreign language I studied, and I don’t expect it to be anyhow useful at least until like 3 years from now.

1 Like

Omg plantron your new avatar is terrifying

4 Likes

OK, so you’d rather people think you’re lazy. That’s fine by me too.

2 Likes

But I am lazy. Especially in non-critical things, such as hobby.

4 Likes

I approve!

1 Like

I think that a “completionist” mentality isn’t helpful for learning a foreign language. If you think that for some reason a certain item isn’t worth studying, then don’t study it. You’ll learn it later anyways.
But be careful. As others have said, counting in japanese is very irregular. Learning Kanji by vocabulary only is also dangerous: you might learn that 五分 means five minutes and 分かる to understand, without being aware that 分 and 分 are the same Kanji. That is even more likely with more complex Kanji.
But you do you.

12 Likes