Swallowing My Pride

Sometimes you just need to restart. However, since I hate losing my progress I refused to restart causing me to be overwhelmed and eventually leaving the site. Now, after returning I need to take a step back so I can take a few more forward. At the time of writing this I’m level 17. Now I’m heading back to level 1!
Wish Me Luck!

15 Likes

Btw, that is the most dramatic way I could write it. There were a couple other factors into me leaving the website (Like me constantly productively procrastinating and a little rivalry between a friend where I was winning) . But, either way I’m restarting!

4 Likes

6 Likes

Good luck :heart:

3 Likes

Good luck :crabigator:

2 Likes

good luck :muscle:

3 Likes

To avoid this in the future, just remain constant with reviews. The only real reason to reset is because you stopped doing WK for a long period of time or haven’t been consistent so your review schedule is funked up. Forgetting or not getting it is part of the process, so let the SRS do its thing next time. Good luck! :slight_smile:

12 Likes

Any reason to reset is real and valid. Different things work for different people, there’s no point in forcing you to do something that’s not working for you just because of an ideal. Starting over is ok!

5 Likes

You got this! I believe in you!

2 Likes

Something I tell myself a lot: “not enough” is still more than zero. If you feel like you aren’t doing enough or you aren’t practicing enough, as long as you’re doing something, you’re making progress. That’s how I’ve been fighting back against my lifelong procrastination problem!

6 Likes

8e8bf5b91cd6bcf63d010eb8a871f663094d861cc14344289ce4a06713e05f88_1

You can do it!

17 Likes

Sorry I should have clarified that any other reason outside of what I put in my post is stupid and a waste of time.

2 Likes

It really is good to remember that we’re supposed to have trouble with SRS. I get so angry when I blow an item that I would’ve burned. But the point of SRS is that we’re supposed to get reminders at the edge of our memory. If we get 100% every time, that means we’re not learning anything.

10 Likes

Right, this is what SRS is for! You’re telling the system “Hey, I don’t know this as well as I should at this point!” and it goes “Ok, let’s focus on this for a bit.”

Trust the process!

6 Likes

The true reason for your reset is to win again against your friend ( even if he doesn’t reset ) to crush him and show dominance.

6 Likes

Hahahah, I yeah i’ll catch up asap!

2 Likes

Yeah! that was the main reason since I took about a 4 month break and came back looking at a wall of 1000 reviews

1 Like

Unless the whole reason/purpose for doing WaniKani was purely as a contest against someone else (with presumably no desire to learn Japanese) then there is no “win” or “lose”. Just learn. At your pace, to meet your goals.

4 Likes

Gotcha. That’s valid. Good luck on the climb back!

1 Like

I mean my friend been sitting at 49 for like a year or 2 now. So I’m coming to kick his ass across the finish line.

1 Like