Sum up your recent WaniKani Review sessions with a short clip/gif

RANK UP!

3 Likes

when you make a typo that leaves you on 89% and stops you from getting to the next level at 2:30am and you stayed up waiting for this moment regardless of the morning shift you got tomorrow and have consumed copious amounts of caffeine for this moment but instead its all just

2 Likes

when you accidentally enter the name of a radical as you learned it before, not as wanikani taught you

blade =/= sword apparently

1 Like
Starting your review session in the morning, which consist of only 10 reviews:

1 Like
Bandez said... when you accidentally enter the name of a radical as you learned it before, not as wanikani taught you

I find it extra annoying to get radicals wrong since they are 100% arbitrary for the purposes of this site and aren't the "official" set. I probably average more than 1 synonym per radical at this point due to this crap. 

Also, your gif is broken, so here's mine:

"Wrong! The answer is not blade, it's sword!"

3 Likes

I use a script called WK Double Check to avoid this kind of issue.
List of scripts here : /t/The-New-And-Improved-List-Of-API-and-Third-Party-Apps/7694/1

yumenokage said...
got 100% on a decently sized review queue for the first time in forever!
 Ooohh! おめでとう!気持ちいいや!

Also @Emisan, your suspicious Vulcan/Romulan is priceless. XD

Um… my recent review sessions have been embarrassingly short. I will regret it later, I know, but… Dark Souls!
I really am appropriately ashamed of myself, I promise.

1 Like
Bandez said... when you accidentally enter the name of a radical as you learned it before, not as wanikani taught you

the blade is the part of a sword that is neither the handle nor the protection, it's a different thing. A knife has a blade as well but has nothing to do with the word sword.
So yes: blade =/= sword. :-)
Pandabrain said...

the blade is the part of a sword that is neither the handle nor the protection, it's a different thing. A knife has a blade as well but has nothing to do with the word sword.
I agree that knowing the exact definition is not the point of WK. Especially when it comes to radicals, unless it ruins the mnemonic for you. I've honestly failed reviews because of 知り合い: 'Acquaintance'. After spelling it wrong for the umpteenth time I just added 'friend' as a synonym.

This week: me on the left, my reviews on the right.

1 Like
Sharpie said...This week: me on the left, my reviews on the right.
 OT to chime in Tatami Galaxy is the best (I don't remember that bit though...)
Pandabrain said...

I know that there is technically a difference in those two words in English, that's not what I was trying to say. I guess my internet sass was unclear. As I said, though, I had just previously learned that as "blade" and quickly entered that before I remembered that wanikani uses "sword." For what it's worth, some places do also list the kanji  刀 as meaning "knife." 

The beauty of kanji is the many nuances of meaning they can carry. Until you get into compound vocabulary words, those vagaries aren't always ironed out and I think that's cool. However, it does make it easy to get a little off when you study. And I'm totally happy to buy into the system and use only the definitions as given by the site to help streamline the learning process. I was just frustrated because I know that kanji. I have known that kanji for six years. I just didn't give the correct wanikani answer. Please let me have that one juicy little nugget of feels. :-)

In other news, so glad the pace picked up. Gotta power these lower levels.

1 Like
ClDumbass said...

I find it extra annoying to get radicals wrong since they are 100% arbitrary for the purposes of this site and aren't the "official" set. I probably average more than 1 synonym per radical at this point due to this crap. 

Also, your gif is broken, so here's mine:

"Wrong! The answer is not blade, it's sword!"

I also get sloppy, though. I forget about onyomi vs. kunyomi and start putting in whatever seems most common to me. I put き as the reading for 木 (kanji) and face palmed pretty hard. At these lower levels when I miss things it's just annoying because I know most of it. But I put my faith in the crabigator! 

1 Like

Feels like the review has gone on too long, look at the counter and realise you started another review at some point. Keep going to finish it all up, feels like it’s gone on too long, look at the counter and realise you started another review at some point. Keep going to finish it all up, feels like it’s gone on too long…

2 Likes

Feels good to know that I can get our all my lessons in one day, work hard for 2 or 3 days and be back down to 100 next day reviews. I can relax and then ramp up.

Getting clubroom wrong for the millionth time

1 Like

Going through my morning reviews like normal… Last item!

Loading…

I do the extra batch…

Loading…

And another batch… I… I just want to take a shower goddamnit.

I’m never able to hold my concentration for more than 50 review items in a row. Ugh. >_> 

2 Likes

Yup…

1 Like

The guilt in knowing I should be doing kaniwani more frequently so I’m not only relying on visual stimulation for recall…

but really knowing I probably won’t so oh well.

2 Likes

But my correct percentage tells me this…

1 Like