Study Routines

I’m over there on the Level 60 Compilation if you want more detail, but here’s a brief rundown:

Overall
I have two main modes: active and passive.

Active studying is things like Wanikani when I’m actively engaged in trying to learn.

Passive studying is all the other things that interest me, but that also provide some progress towards learning Japanese, like watching YouTube videos. I don’t count this time as studying because there’s no direction and I just let myself enjoy whatever interests me.

The other major requirement for me is an IOS App. The only way I can keep up with a lesson schedule is by doing it on my phone since it’s always with me. Without Tsurukame I don’t think I would have finished Wanikani at all.

During Wanikani

Active

• 3 sessions per day: morning, noon, night.
  • 20m per session
  • 150-300 reviews per day
  • 20 lessons per day as long as Apprentice was under 100

Passive

• I have a list of video resources on my post, and I would just watch those after I had done my WK session for whatever time I had remaining before I had to do something else. Usually this would include getting back to work. :wink:
  • I also ran through the N5/N4 items on Bunpro, but only the lessons. I didn’t do any reviews. Doing this helped me familiarize myself with the items without worrying about retention at this point.
  • Funnily enough, by the time I finished WK, I had a pretty decent foundation for N5/N4.

After Wanikani

Active

Right now I’m working my way through the Intermediate Deck on Jalup and the app is good enough to keep me going. It’s sentence/definition based, so I only do one session per day for about 25-30m. In that time, I review the cards that are due and do 10 new cards.

After 2.5 years on WK, I wanted to take it a bit easy so spending half the time per day is good enough for me. :wink:

Passive

I’m doing pretty much the same stuff as before with the addition of reading. I’ve mostly been reading Light Novels and some manga here and there. With that, I’ve stopped using any dedicated grammar resources other than a dictionary and Google.

One thing I would definitely recommend for browsing the web in Japanese is Yomichan. You could get the same info via Jisho or ichi.moe, but it’s just a really nice quality-of-life improvement to look things up just by hovering over them.

What’s next? Who knows. :wink: Good luck on your studies :smiley:

2 Likes