[STATS] Statistics site

Levels with more kanji can potentially be finished quicker because to level up you need 90% of kanji in guru. If you get 30 new kanji per level, you only get to leave 3 kanji in apprentice to level up, but if you get 40 new kanji, you can get away with leaving 4 kanji in apprentice and still level up.

1 Like

I havenā€™t attempted to quantify a correlation between [difficulty] and [level length] yet, but I suspect that the relationship is more complex and subtle than you might guess.

For example, the ā€˜gotta go fastā€™ group tends to have consistent level-up regardless of theoretical difficulty. And, andectodally, the most common reason Iā€™ve seen cited for long levels is life-based diversions, rather than specific levels being particularly difficult.

Iā€™m not trying to discourage your line of thinking, though. Iā€™m guessing it will be a lot of work, and I could eventually supply you with some anonymized data if youā€™d likeā€¦ though Iā€™d have to collect up a lot more APIv2 keys before I can get a useful amount of data. I donā€™t currently retain any progress data. Thatā€™s all kept in the userā€™s browser.

[Edit]: Another thing to think about. Even with just the [average] that I currently use, it needs a way to gracefully fall back to a reasonable projection if the user exceeds their average. For example, do you treat userā€™s progress as a linear progression through the level, and just project how soon theyā€™ll reach 90% Guru? But then what do you do if it looks like the user simply stopped somewhere in the level?

Similarly, youā€™d need to define when/if the userā€™s past performance fits your model for difficulty, and decide how much weight to put on that model if the userā€™s performance is a poor fit. For example, someone with seemingly random level lengths (maybe due to unpredictable schedule), with no apparent correlation to your difficulty modelā€¦ then what fallback do you use to project?

Again, not trying to discourage. As a software developer, itā€™s ingrained into me to think ahead about the problems Iā€™ll encounter before I get started on something.

2 Likes

This is amazing! Great work!

My immediate thought after looking at it was to look if I could share the pages somehow, IE with my Japanese teacher. Tho I suppose I could just give them the page and api key.

You do have to give them the API key, but you can put it directly in the URL for convenience. For example:
https://www.wkstats.com/?apikey=your_key_here

2 Likes

Is this site currently broken or is something wrong with my account? It keeps telling me my API key is not found. I tried relogging and generating a new key but I just keep getting the same error even with the new keys.

1 Like

Try opening your Javascript console (on most browsers, press F12 and click the Console tab), paste the following command, and press enter:

localStorage.clear()

Then refresh the page, and enter your API version1 key.

[edit: The last apikey that I have in my log for your username ends in 9666. I tried that key, and Wanikani is giving me an ā€œUnauthorizedā€ error, so Iā€™m guessing thatā€™s not your latest key. Itā€™s probably just a cache issue, which has happened before. Clearing the cache with the command above usually solves it.]

[edit2: Also, in the meantime, you can try out the completed portions of the upcoming version of the site at https://wkstats.com:10001/)

1 Like

Woo it looks amazing! Keep up the good work, kind person from the internets!

So every time I try to access the new website, it times out and I get the ā€œCould not be accessedā€ error message. Any ideas on how I can get it to work?

Are you seeing any part of the site, or just nothing at all?

So I tried it on my phone and it worked, so I think my browser might just be out of date or something. :slight_smile:

Hey, I noticed that my current time on level stats are wrong. I leveled up only yesterday and yet it says my current time would be 5 days, 1 hour. Also the previous level time isnā€™t correct either, it says it took me only 4 days and 23 hours when it has been 9 days or so.

I tried logging in and out, forced a refresh several times but to no avail. Anything else I could try?

This can happen when you get to levels with no radicals. You can try the beta version of wkstats that uses the new API.

https://www.wkstats.com:10001

Cheers! That one shows the accurate time, but I gotta admit I miss the fancy graphics from the previous version. :stuck_out_tongue: But since this is still in beta I assume thereā€™ll be something similiar to that in the future.

@rfindley, just wanted to say Iā€™ve been using wkstats for the past couple of months, and since then I have used the projections to help give me a sense of progress. If I messed up a Kanji before I had no sense what that would mean for my level-up progression. Did I mess it up and now Iā€™ll have to wait another three days before I can level up? Or is there another Kanji waiting for me that can level me up?

Your projections portion saves the day. I keep a close eye on the ā€œfastestā€ and ā€œhypotheticalā€ timestamps for the next level. If I get the Kanji wrong, but the ā€œfastestā€ timestamp doesnā€™t change I know I can still make up for my mistake. Or if it does move, I acknowledge Iā€™ve made too many mistakes and resolve to complete it by the new ā€œfastestā€ timestamp. I keep my ā€œhypotheticalā€ at a reasonable time limit (for my schedule) and I feel such a rushing sense of accomplishment if I break my hypothetical timestamp by a few days.

Using this method has gotten me through levels 8-16. Before level 8, each level was taking me longer and longer for the most part, and I could feel my confidence and commitment waning, but now thanks to your tool I feel more committed than ever.

Itā€™s amazing what a sense of progression will do.

This post is mostly to say thanks for building such an amazing tool, but also to ask when you think the projections section might be available in the beta site? Everytime I level up my hypothetical projections get all thrown out of whack until I do some radicals, from what I read above that will be fixed with your new APIv2 site right? Sorry if this was answered earlier in the threadā€¦ This thread needs itā€™s own FAQ :P.

2 Likes

That depends on my work schedule. Lately, I havenā€™t had any time to work on the new site.
I just started a new contract project, but it looks like itā€™s going to take at least a week to get rolling, so Iā€™m going to try to get a bit of work done on wkstats. (Though I also have some house projects that I need to spend some time on, soā€¦weā€™ll see).

Anyway, Iā€™m glad youā€™re finding the site (old and new) to be motivational! Motivation was my main reason for building and maintaining the site :slight_smile:

1 Like

I really appreciate the cumulative bars - please do keep them. Theyā€™re fun to think of what grade level I could probably read at. Right now, I know as much kanji as a native 7 year old! XD

1 Like

Cool! I just added my v2 API key to the pot. Iā€™m one of those ā€œolderā€ users since Betaā€¦ And youā€™ve already seen and helped fixed some of my wacky data in the pastā€¦ : D

Whoa!!!

That v2 API returns some really weird results for me.

|Level:|16| |---|---| |Typical Level-up:|22 days, 21 hours, 9 minutes| |Time on Level:|7379 days, 3 hours, 19 minutes| |Level-up In:|7401 days, 17 hours, 50 minutes| |Start Date:|2015-08-19 (1142 days ago)|

I like the shorter average level up timeā€¦ But it thinks Iā€™ve been on this level for over 7000 days when it says I only started WK around 1000 days agoā€¦ And the v1 key on the regular site returns correct information (I think something like 400 days?.. It has been a whileā€¦).

So crazy! O.o

The v2 API site works great! The level up chart handles my 2 resets perfectly. I noticed in my raw v2 API level data that there are 3 duplicate levels, from before a reset. But the v2 stats site correctly recognizes this and ignores them. This is really great work. Thank you for making it.

@rfindley I canā€™t login. I keep getting 404 error on Opera browser. wkstats works perfectly fine on my Safari browser though.