Spy x Family | Week 1 Discussion

What is this in reference to?

3 Likes

“Names” sheet in Google Spreadsheet for vocabularies. I think it is from English counterpart. (I haven’t confirmed, though.)

2 Likes

Ok, I was wrong, further googling showed that in west germany they used cents, and in eastern germany marks, so that’s why you have dalc and pent

9 Likes

but…that’s what 黄昏 translates as? :s I mean, I truthfully don’t care either way because I’m just going to call the character Lloyd/Loid or just by typing his name in Japanese , but that’s the actual translation of that codename, so I’m just a touch confused by this statement.

4 Likes

In the anime, they regularly call Twilight Twilight in Japanese (of course I’m talking about たそがれ)

5 Likes

Page 15

This is like the -less suffix in English, such as “shadowless” (=not having a shadow).

From what I’ve seen, it’s very rare in manga (that I’ve read).

Here it is in a manga chapter title from another series:

Page 26

That sounds about right. He’s a spy, and of all things, her favorite show is a spy show.

In my head, I went with “Dusk”. Clearly, I like to be different =D

8 Likes
Off-topic

Out of curiosity, what does さ look like in that font, because I would misread that every. single. time. :rofl:

“Dusk” = evil agent. “Twilight” = more romantic-sounding and thus good. This is very scientific and not at all arbitrary. (I’m kidding, if that wasn’t obvious. :rofl:)

10 Likes

Once you see image and image side-by-side, I imagine it’s easier to distinguish the two.

Seen this way, are you able to tell them apart? image

7 Likes

On the subject of Twilight, someone’s entered 誰そ彼 (on page 16) in the vocab sheet as “a pun on his codename 黄昏 and 誰それ”, but (a) when did the manga use 誰それ, and (b) I’m pretty sure the exact spelling 誰そ彼 came up as a regional version of 黄昏 in Kimi no Na wa. So it’s not a pun, just a… something. I’m not sure what.

Page 15, though - 世界の平和を守る鍵となる - this sounds like a job for the カラーズ, then.

9 Likes

Archaism? After all, if it isn’t mentioned, I wouldn’t search.

たそかれ-どき 【黄昏時・誰そ彼時】

名詞

夕暮れ方。夕方。夕方、薄暗くなって向こうにいる人が識別しにくくなった時分。「たそかれ」とも。[反対語] 彼(か)は誰(たれ)時(どき)。

参考

「たそかれ」は「誰(た)そ彼(かれ)」で、「誰(だれ)だ、あれは」といぶかる意。似た形の語「彼(か)は誰(たれ)時(どき)」は、夜明け方の薄明るい時分にいう。今日は「たそがれ(どき)」だけが残って使われている。近世以後「たそがれどき」。

I am not sure of the reference…

2 Likes
三ツ星カラーズ

Previously read in the ABBC and currently running as an offshoot club.

6 Likes

I don’t know what my past self was doing. I usually take the printed pages, since they should be the same across all distribution channels. I just miscounted the last page we are reading this week it page 32.

This is not correct. West germany used the Deutsche Mark (German mark) and the smaller coins being called Pfennig (penny), in the east they used the Ostmark (East mark) and even thought I haven’t used that personally wikipedia says that the smaller coins are also called Pfennig.

8 Likes

I thought the crossword was great. :smile: What kind of newspaper prints crosswords with such answers? :joy:

It did get me wondering: do they have crosswords in Japan? I assume they fill them out in hiragana then?

Ah, thank you for that! I hadn’t made the connection with marks and cents (I was thinking in the direction of pence, but cents make more sense, yes).

Edit:

Ah, our posts crossed, but I guess Pfennig also works :smile:

7 Likes

I believe they do. Here’s one from the game persona 5. It seems as if you usually fill them out using katakana.

12 Likes

I bought a whole book of them a few trips to Japan back which I was working on with the forums, but got a bit distracted from. Should probably get back to it someday…

There were also books of kanji-only crosswords on the same shelves, but I didn’t buy one. Also, there’s Japanese crossword mobile apps you can download for free.

They’re a bit tricky, as a learner, because even once you’ve understood the clue, you still need to work out the answer they’re expecting.

11 Likes

Interesting, can’t find the source that told me yesterday anymore. In that case it’s either like a US cent, which I’m not sure if that would be the case, though, sough I’m going back to my mark and pengo theory

3 Likes

Minor question:

Pg 16

むくろ seems to be being used metaphorically, right? Referring to something like the “corpse” of the agent’s public identity?

Also I’m fairly certain that the よき on pg 16 is not 予期 as the vocab sheet suggests but is just よい with the same い->き swap as discussed before. But thought I would discuss with the group before changing it…

6 Likes
Summary

My interpretation is that it’s saying peoples daily lives stand on the sacrifices of the agents (whether that be their identities, their hard work, or their actual lives)

7 Likes
よき

Assuming you are talking about the line

すべてはよりよき世界のために…!!

I agree with you that it’s not 予期, but if by mentioning that き that was already discussed, that was specifically related to なき, which is a suffix on the whole that means “-less” and would have no bearing on this sentence. Did I miss some discussion about a い → き swap somewhere?

Personally, I think this よき is probably 良き, and I’d translate the sentence as:

“All of (this) is for the sake of a more (より) good (よき) world.”

Or… in proper English, “All of (this) is for the sake of a better world.”

(Which, I mean, is what you are suggesting as well, essentially, I’m just wondering if I missed a piece of the discussion somewhere! :grin:)

Could be I’m mistaken, though.

8 Likes

Oh sorry I just skimmed over the なき stuff late last night, looks like I may have dreamed up talking about ない → なき, never actually happened :sweat_smile:. Regardless, い → き is a pattern I see sometimes to make い adjectives sound more “poetic”…

6 Likes