Spy x Family | Week 1 Discussion

For what it’s worth (via ichi.moe):

Edit: Looks like next week we’ll be seeing 「より良い」.

11 Likes

The back of my manga under the removable cover it has a bunch of information about him in English, and it says codename:twilight.

7 Likes

Yeah, it says in the last page of Bookwalker ebook version, confirming English version and spelling of everything.

Agent Name:Twilight
Known Alias:Loid,Robert

But spaces after punctuations don’t exist to my liking…

I haven’t watch anime far enough, to confirm they also exist there, though.

2 Likes

Ok so I’ve got a quick question. A couple of times they seem to use ぬ instead of る, for example on the very first page they say 見せぬ and on page (4?) (The second page after the TOC, they say 突きとめねば, which to me looks like a ば form of 突きとめる with る replaced with ぬ. I tried to do some searching and I think I found that this is a phenomenon found in old Japanese, but I am wondering if I’m on the right track with that. Is it a one for one replacement with ぬ that is trying to give it an old timey feel, or do I have that wrong?

4 Likes

ぬ is an old form of ない which is still being used under certain conditions (grammatically speaking) or in order to make something feel old-fashioned. If you just assume that it’s ない then you’re all set.

11 Likes

Does that also work in the case of 突き止めねば, so instead of “if we determine” it means "if we don’t determine?

3 Likes

~ならない must do.

1 Like

Oh, so that’s where the “Loid” spelling comes from.

Heh, and also “Pantsu: black”. The three most recognisable features - hair, eyes and pantsu.

9 Likes

I interpreted it just a tad differently, but i think the meaning is the same, I was thinking it was “if we don’t determine it…” (bad consequences left unsaid). But maybe the thing left unsaid in japanese is the ならない and the correct interpretation is “we must determine it…”

3 Likes

This is a different form, but also archaic :joy: The meaning is the same as ~なければ. If you want to dive deeper into its whereabouts, here is a Stackexchange article I found (I like the first explanation):

8 Likes

Its been maybe a year or two since I read this volume and man I improved a lot! This is my first book club while its active. So I’m excited to go through it with everyone.

ワクワク!

11 Likes

Just to clarify, we’re reading until the end of the chapter for week 2 right?

5 Likes

Yup, you can see the schedule in the home thread, linked in the first post (the forum software asked me if I was sure I wanted to link it again given it was linked in the first post, so I shied away from doing so). Next week is chapter 1 part 2, and the week after is chapter 2, so it seems that next week we’ll read what remains of chapter 1.

It also seems like we’re doing threads by week, so it should be a different thread as well.

5 Likes

Almost forgot this week was the start of this book club! :joy:
Loved reading this first part. It’s definitely more challenging than a lot of other things I’m reading now, but that’s part of the fun of it!
And being currently caught up to the anime seems to have helped quite a bit with some of the vocab.

Some people were talking about it above, but one thing I love is the use of all of the kanji to show meanings for katakana words being said.
One that really stood out was when he used his code name, たそがれ but instead of the kanji being 黄昏, they were 誰そ彼.

Something that won’t be noticed from just watching the anime. (I mean, I watch with Japanese subs, so not sure if I missed it then or if it just didn’t stand out to me or what, but still :joy:)

Looking forward to the next part!

5 Likes

It turns out the subtitles are the same on netflix for that 誰そ彼 line including furigana.

I’m surprised how much the anime is almost shot-for shot the same as the manga… it makes me worried I won’t be as motivated to read it if I feel like I’m getting such a similar experience to the anime.

Speaking of comparisons, the a manga used 謳われた but the subtitles show 謡われた in the anime when he is walking into the 孤児院。It seems there are quite a few ways to write うたう and according to this page it looks like 謳われた is a little more precise in this case.

When manga have furigana it makes me wonder which words a normal Japanese adult might not be able to read. For example would a normal adult be able to read 熾烈、改竄、謳われる without furigana (these are some of the few words that have furigana in the netflix subtitles.) My guess is that they could—at least in context.

3 Likes

Aye, although I suppose they come at it the other way in that they already know a word that would fit in that context and may gloss over the kanji entirely if the okurigana match.

3 Likes

Was wondering the same thing, thanks for asking!

1 Like