Spreadsheets of the Japanese Verb Conjugations

Since some people were critical and not willing to help in correcting things. I deleted everything.

8 Likes

Merci.

3 Likes

Wow! Thanks so much for this! It’s really helpful!

1 Like

I’m sure this took a lot of effort to make, so thank you.

I just glanced at it, and the first word I actually checked was this:

Is that an alternate reading? I haven’t seen it before. I looked it up on jdict and jisho and couldn’t find that reading. May I ask where you sourced these from?

2 Likes

Unfortunately that’s not the only instance.

Noticing others as well. If you generated the PDF from a spreadsheet, I think you can enable spellcheck for Japanese on it, but I have no idea how to spellcheck furigana.

1 Like

Thanks, I will correct it and update the file accordingly
If you find some typos and errors, please let me know.

1 Like

Yes, there an hidden hiragana column where you can check it against.

2 Likes

You can see a few mistakes here both in furigana and hiragana.

4 Likes

Yes, please let me know.

I went to a conbini to print it out and to see it on paper as well.

I mean, it’s only what you can see in the picture, but:

受け取る うけとる
受け持つ うけもつ
裏返す うらがえす

You’d need to go over all of it comparing the hiragana and furigana or just knowing the reading, but that’s too much work.

I don’t understand what the hiragana is for if it can have mistakes and the furigana column is not based on it. Is it just another list inside it to manually check?

1 Like

This isn’t a comment at all about your proficiency OP - I don’t know what your skill level is. As a person with ADHD, I’m humbly aware that mistakes can slip through even on material that is well-known.

This thread just serves as a reminder to me that despite being a language learning enthusiast and wanting to eventually create resources that will help others, I won’t yet. I know for certain that I don’t have the experience or proficiency with the language needed to create study resources for others.

If, however, I were to undertake that endeavor, I would use an online dictionary on every single entry. And even then, my ADHD coupled with my lack of experience would inevitably betray my novice in any resource I produced. And that’s no good, because any resource I create, I would want to use myself, and I don’t even know what I don’t know to correct my own mistakes.

I got it checked by two native speakers.

Mistakes can happen. Especially with such a complex thing as adding furigana in Excel and Word.

There is no book in Japan, that reference conjugations in this way. I checked all the bookstore in Tokyo.

Any further comments like this and I delete the tread. No one forced you to comment.

Well, the comment was entirely self-deprecating. I was acknowledging my own inadequacy. I wasn’t commenting on yours. And there was no malice in my comment.

I will say though, that when publishing beginner materials, you HAVE to get it right the first time. If I had been even a little bit less proficient, I would not have realized the number of mistakes present, and possibly thought this was a safe resource to use. A resource with numerous errors is worse than no resource at all, and dangerous.

If a novice like me can pull up a list of errors by random examination, there’s an issue, and if the person publishing them lacks the proficiency to notice at a glance that something is very wrong, that is a good indicator that more time is needed with the language before attempting to publish one’s own resources.

Again, I don’t say this in malice, but with all of the love in the world my guy. You have all the time in the world to publish awesome resources, so don’t be in a hurry. Being accurate is better than being timely.

Also, verb conjugation charts are abundant. A comprehensive list in a nice pdf format would be great, but there are literally entire books dedicated to this. The Handbook of Japanese Verbs Review (tofugu.com)

4 Likes

I’m going to close this thread as it’s run its course.

4 Likes