Speed up my lessons and quiz

I have a strong foundation in chinese, thus the meanings of radicals and kanji are well-understood. Is there any setting to speed up my lessons and quizzes so that I can make fast progress? For example, mastering all lessons within a month or two?

https://www.wanikani.com/faq

No. No way to speed up.

Yeah, it’s called Anki. If you want to do 2000 reviews a day on Anki at that pace, the program won’t stop you.

If you travel near the speed of light you can finish level 60 and return before I level up to 44.

At least according to Einstein.

Did you read the FAQ?

Because you’re supposed to read the FAQ.

And I hope you realise you not reading the FAQ will mean you get nothing but snarky answers.

Getting an extra fast spaceship and going a round trip is a way, if you want to impress people on Earth. So called Twin Paradox.

If you do your lessons as normal, and have accurate reviews, you will master them by WaniKani’s standards in almost exactly a month.

See below:

SRS Level Next Level Total Wait Review
Apprentice 1 4h - Lesson
Apprentice 2 8h 4h 1
Apprentice 3 ~1d 12h 2
Apprentice 4 ~2d 1d 11h 3
Guru 1 ~1w 3d 10h 4
Guru 2 ~2w 1w 3d 9h 5
Master ~1M 3w 3d 8h 6
Enlightened ~4M 7w 5d 7h 7
Burned - 24w 6d 6h 8

Due to semantic ambiguity in his question, you can take his question to mean that he’d be satisfied by that response, but I’m pretty sure he wants all 8000+ items to be mastered in 2 months.

Well he is James Bond…

I know.

But due to his semantic ambiguity, I had to point that out.

Semantic ambiguity, FTW!

Also, FAQ. You read it, right?

thanks much guys, especially to AnimeCanuck and Leebo. I wish to clarify on the semantic ambiguity- I went through some kanji and I realised they mean the exact same things as what I know from Chinese. Plus, the pronunciations sound quite close to Cantonese, of which I can speak as well. The reason why I wish to speed up the learning process is because I will be starting my tertiary education in September. So I had a rather crazy idea to see if I could listen to and understand Japanese language at a basic level.

This brings me to my next question: should I start grammar right away? If yes, any good websites or sources recommended?

Go to ‘Using My WaniKani Knowledge’ in the guide for when you should learn grammar in accordance to wanikani, also just because the readings are similar and the kanji is similar, doesn’t mean you know it all. Go through all the levels through the top menu, see the kanji and vocab, judge for yourself if you really need wanikani. However, of course you know, but this isn’t Chinese. There are differences, and there’s a reason why you came here, right?

The best time to start learning grammar is yesterday. The second best time is today. The third best time is probably around level 10.

Resources, you say?

I would recommend trying/checking out some of the free resources first, and see if any of those are a good fit (do you enjoy using them? Are you actually learning something from them and are able to retain that learning?). From there, you can either try new resources if they aren’t working, or supplement. I use Genki and swear by it as my primary grammar text. Others love Tae Kim, which I just use as a supplement. Anki (and KaniWani, the reverse of WaniKani) is great for the flashcard/SRS-minded, and for drilling new vocab. Because more words = more things you can use to build sentences. Consider choosing a mix of resources that hits all major groups of the language - speaking, reading, listening, writing/typing. WaniKani is great for reading, and to a limited extent, listening.

Grammar and usage is more important than Kanji, actually. You don’t really need 2000 Kanji to read, but you must be able to read the Kana in-between.

Furthermore, 100% of kanji in N4 is around Level 27… not everyone have to go to Level 60. (And Level 60 doesn’t even cover all Joyo Kanji. Joyo = general use, but in reality, there are more general use Kanji than Joyo.)

For the test drive of reading, I recommend either Satori Reader or Japanese Graded Readers.

For Max Speed, to supplement AnimeCanuck’s said interval, I recommend one User Script: [Userscript]: WaniKani Ultimate Timeline, if you aren’t constrained by your mental capabilities, of course.

Since you already have some kanji knowledge (meanings, for at least common things), I would recommend starting in on Grammar right away, especially if you find the wait for the reviews to be annoying and like you’ve got too much time on your hands.

I suggest you check out the following links:
The Ultimate Resource List (It’s newer, and organized differently.)
What do I do now? Free Resource List (Everything is free, some might have free trials, but those are noted!)

Most commonly suggested textbooks for beginner grammar here are (in no particular order):
Genki
Tofugu
Minna no Nihongo
Japanese the Manga Way
Tae Kim
Nihongonomori (a YouTube channel, and not a textbook, but it gets recommended a lot too.)

Hope that helps! Feel free to search any of those names themselves to see discussion about said grammar resources.

Wow. He thanked @Leebo.

…wow…

Guess I’m just not abrasive enough.

Well, we all know you try :wink: