Solving Crosswords for Fun and Profit

Oof, that was close. I have a bit of a monthly ritual of going “oh, my thread might lock soon, I’d better get back to solving crosswords”, then I check the thread and I go “ah, still months to go, I’ll work on the crossword next week” and then completely forget.

2 Likes

Based on this, we can still create a lot of new sci-fi franchises:

• Star Tars
  • Star Wrek
  • Star Waek
  • Star Taes

and many more!

1 Like

Star Twerks

1 Like

Righty! Let’s get back into this crossword. After an almost two-year break, oof.

At this point, I feel like I can just straight up read nearly all of the clues. Still don’t know what the answer is, though. :stuck_out_tongue: Like, 17-across: it’s a valuable timber grown in southern Asia that’s used to make furniture. That’s great. But what types of timber are used to make furniture?

Sooo many words for wind…

4-across ヨザクラ
5-across フドキ Today I learnt…
29-across, one thing I learnt reading Yuru Camp is that Kofu (Yamanashi) is located within the 甲府盆地. And checking Wikipedia, 京都, 奈良 and 会津 all have their own 盆地. So it’s ボンチ.
35-down チュウシ
26-across コガラシ (found me a list of different winds on Google, this one blows in winter)
33-across ホウ, I suppose
22-across タツマキ

Given the puzzle’s evident theme, I’d reckon the secret keyword is カゼ. That’d make 10-down カン.

1 Like

I’m more of a トウガラシ guy myself.

1 Like

I wouldn’t try to put 木枯らし on your food.

1 Like

1 Like

Righty. Thought it was about time I got back into this. Maybe I know more vocab now, so clues will be easier.

23-down ジゼン
16-down アラシ
Which makes 16-across アイジ… and I just now learnt that 目に入れても痛くない is an expression. Was reading it literally…
17-across シタン
21-down タイフウ
12-down キボ
13-across ボウフウウ (ゥゥゥゥゥ)
Thus 29-down ボウ
19-across オウロ
Thus 25-down ウロコ
32-down ハリケーン
Thus 28-across ヒハン
5-down フキブリ
Thus 6-across ブカ

And thus endeth another crossword. That brings me to the precise centre of the book, not counting the meta puzzle at the end.

Think I need some new blood in this thread, otherwise it’s just me doing crosswords on my own, and I can do that without the thread. Or reheat some of the old blood. Maybe it’s even worth starting a new thread so it shows up afresh in everyone’s notifications.

Guess the question is, is it worth continuing this in public, or should I just finish the book on my own? Are people finding this enjoyable? Or edifying?

4 Likes

Amazing! I wasn’t advanced enough to even dream of clicking on this thread years ago, but seeing it pop up just now, it looks fun and doable, I’m totally in!

I’d like to have a place on the Google doc to enter readings for the clues as I look them up. That might expand the group a bit as well.

For example column one clue, column two reading, column three answer, column four notes if needed. I’m not suggesting that needs to be kept up to date religiously, (the puzzle view is the master) but let’s say I work on one and record that info, even partially, it will make it easier for the next person to join in.

Anyway, just an idea. Count me in however you want to do it.

1 Like

Excellent! :grinning:

Been giving some thought to adding this to the… “other media book clubs” list or something. Though whether that would engender some more activity, I have no idea.

This is a book club, right?

It’s an interesting idea. Plenty of space on each sheet to the right and/or below the puzzle. I’ll upload the next puzzle tomorrow when I’ve got some daylight for photographing the thing, and maybe you can play around and see what works.

I did make it editable, right?

that might work, sometimes I browse those. I’ll add it to my next log update, too

yay, looking forward to it!

I’ll have a go editing the sheet from my laptop, I was checking it earlier from my phone and didn’t try, but I’m sure that will work. I’ll just have a try and we’ll find out if that’s useful or not!

Edit: yeah, the spreadsheet is editable. I also had a more careful look at the last crossword to try it on for size. I liked the theme! This will be challenging, but I can imagine chewing over a couple of clues a day and having a lot of fun with it.

1 Like

I’ve been doing the MOKOSOFT crosswords on my iPhone. There are about 7 or 8 sets of crosswords, and 6 crosswords per set for a total of 40-something crossword puzzles.

They’re pretty hard (for me) since in addition to requiring near native level vocabulary, there are also a lot of cultural references like celebrities, historical events, locations, etc. But I’m picking away at them. I usually look at them every few months, and can solve a few more answers each time.

To find them, just search for mokosoft in the iPhone app store.

Yah, I’ve got those too. Been a long time since I looked at them, though. :stuck_out_tongue:

Alrighty, next puzzle! Some fairly substantial essays among the clues, here.

Not entirely sure where to start, here. 17-across might be コンマ.

1 Like

My dictionary tells me that 14 across might be ほろ (canopy)?

1 Like

Is this the real life? 24 ワニ 9 カニ?

3 should be アニ or アネ, with 9 possibly being カニ that would make it アニ.

25 未熟者はあっさりとられる
The only thing that came to mind was あっけにとられる, but not sure. There should be tons of other collocations fitting as well.

10 あまり張らないほうがいい made me think of みえをはる. But checking the dictionary, others might fit as well. いじをはる maybe? I don’t think it’s むねをはる because that one doesn’t have a negative connotation.

However thinking together with 5 上司や隊長から出る. Nothing ending with え came to mind, but with じ: シジ. So maybe 10 is いじ after all.

Would fit with 4 as well. Taking 14 ほろ and 10 いじ would make 4 ?イロ… only word coming to mind is ワイロ which fits the clue

2 Likes

Is this just fantasy?

You probably should specify whether they’re across or down clues. 9 and 24 are down clues only, sure, but in this puzzle, there’s fifteen numbers shared between the across and down clues. If I’ve counted correctly.

That said, I kinda think there’s a bit of wishful thinking in play for 24-down, but the logic for 9-down is pretty sound.

14-across is ホロ. 14-down is… uh… ホフ? So 4-across could be サイフ.

Then 1-down could be, uh… ヌキアシサシアシ

Further thoughts:

26-down エマ? I know ema tend to be pentagonal in shape - a rectangle with a pointed “roof” on top - but are they known for their pentagonalness?
Though that could make 26-across エシ
33-across I wanna say ユキ

That’d make the super sekrit magic word ニホンシュ

Omg haha I looked at this and thought this should be Ani or Ane but then I noticed it’s only two squares so I decided it doesn’t match :woman_facepalming: :woman_facepalming: :woman_facepalming:
Need to get used to thinking in kana, I guess :thinking:

2 Likes

Ohh, sorry I didn’t realize some numbers were shared! :woman_facepalming:t3:
サイフ makes sense for 4 across.

33-across I also first thought of ユキ

1 Like

I got this far! I still think I have a lot I can get but I gotta eat

要約

I’m stuck on 20 down… The only thing i can think of is 高菜 but idk if thats right

1 Like