Sokuon between two words?

Not sure if I should post this in the Questions section. Feel free to move it if so.

I was watching/listening to a clip from NGE (multi-audio so pick japanese, please) and noticed that at that particular moment Misato says 「5番射出いそいで」except that the 「つ」 from 「しゅつ」 doesn’t sound at all. She pronounces it as 「しゃしゅいそいで」instead.

Is that sokuon or something entirely different?

I’d go for the simplest explanation, it’s spoken japanese. Languages are flowing and written language doesn’t always get accurately “translated” into the actually spoken sounds. Misato’s Seiyuu here is trying to cram in a lot of sounds into a very small window to create the sense of urgency, combining that with the natural flow of language (where sounds sometimes just flow into each other and letters/sounds get lost in the process) and such things happen. Also could be personal preference to combine the “shu” and “tsu” in that situation.
This is why you can’t just learn textbook japanese and hope to ever really understand a native conversation, your brain needs to adjust through a lot of input and “fill in the blanks”.

You can try this with your own language, too. Try to speak some sentence fast in your territorial dialect and I’m sure you will “lose” some sounds or combine them. For german it would be something like “Hast du” gets combined into “Haste” when speaking informal with friends.
But maybe someone else has an idea, if there is some specific “rule” for whats happening there. :slight_smile:

7 Likes

That’s not a sokuon, mind, just a regular old つ.

2 Likes

I assumed as much, but wasn’t sure if there was something grammatical involved.
I am aware of the magical effect of making syllables disappear entirely during speech. On the other hand, I sort of assumed that due to the scripted and rehearsed nature of voice acting in a studio, these sort of things would lend themselves to being done and redone to perfection. This, in turn, results in what we have in most types of media, with japanese media not being an exception: speech that doesn’t sound like how one would in a real-life conversation.

TLDR: I didn’t expect to find what is typically a real-life inherent characteristic of how own speech patterns (i.e. “flaws”?) in a piece of japanese media.

There are probably a lot more and in due time, as my comprehension improves, I’ll probably be surprised to find out how many there have always been.

@Belthazar: It could have been a sokuon IF it was being turned into しゃっしゅいそいで. I just skipped writing that.

Yes? Not too clear on what you’re trying to say, here.

It’s not しゃっしゅ, it’s しゃしゅつ. It could’ve been a dakuten if she’d said しゃじゅつ, which has the added advantage that, unlike しゃっしゅ, it’s actually a word in a dictionary, but it’s not what she was saying.

I hurt myself in my own confusion. Disregard it completely. I talked about one thing originally and then replied to you with something that makes absolutely no sense, misplacing the つ.

My initial question asking if it was a sokuon was about the last つ vanishing because I assumed it could have been しゃしゅっいそいで which is… non-sense, I assume. Hence the question.

I appreciate the response.

1 Like