Skip level or cram to get there

I was wondering if it was something like that, but that seemed eGoooott far fetched :wink:


Why do you even take time to answer me if it’s for being so patronising ? Ego issue or something ?

1 Like

Thank you kindly for your answer :slight_smile:

I will keep the website for review purpose then and keep my own method to keep grinding the kanji train :smiley:

1 Like

Also, one of the strong point of WK (as far as I am concerned) is that it provides vocab for the various readings of individual kanji, so that you get more context/exposure :slight_smile:


Yeah once you’re in there, any ressource you can find you take it haha :slight_smile: Especially when it’s so well designed !


Just to add on to what others have said, I’m at about an N2 level myself, and I still pick up a kanji or two every level. As a review and gap-filler tool, I’m finding it to be quite helpful. It also has you learn vocabularly alongside, which is helpful for a number of reasons (learning vocab, having something to connect kanji to, seeing kanji in context, etc.).


You can use this guide to get a better feel for WK. To me its definitely useful as a review and gap filler tool. 92% of Joyo Kanji without really much effort spent on planning.


Agreed with @sloa123! I’m around N2 level, and there’s at least one kanji per level I didn’t know the definition or reading(s) for. It seems like a long haul, but it goes by pretty quickly if you just keep up with your reviews. My progress has been slow because I’m not a speed fiend, but you can shave levels down to 7-8 days per level if you like, or take your time. I supplement my WK reviews with N1/N2 vocab and kanji cards on Memrise and Anki so I don’t feel like I’m “wasting my time” learning easier kanji or re-learning old kanji. Good luck!


I came here with a pretty good knowledge of kanji to N4 level but WK has been great for locking that knowledge down and building vocabulary around those kanji. Not being able to skip levels has been really useful, my reading is way more confident than it used to be. YMMV, but I hadn’t been nearly as rigorous in my kanji learning as WK has forced me to be.

It’s also worth noting that doing the early levels builds a platform for the later levels. I’ve gone from ignoring the mnemonics to relying on them pretty heavily and that is the edifice on which the whole structure seems to be built.


Use it as review tool. Some of the plus side of using WaniKani is that you can use its companion website KaniWani to test EN->JP recall. Add a few APIs you can use to quiz yourself, find suitable reading materials, etc… that’s a lot of resources.

99.99% of us here are friendly. (the other 0.01% are buddies with the Crabsmas Durtle).


Since people already answered your question, allow me to write an unrelated comment.
how much time did you take to reach N3 Kanji?

1 Like

That’s unfair. He was pointing you to the resource where you can find your answer, among many other.


5 months to get from zero to N3

I won’t say I don’t believe you, but that’s like… you’re in the 99th percentile. A super genius
I don’t know if WK, a program that takes about a year at max speed to complete (and that doesn’t cover grammar/listening) is actually what you need.

But been here for a while, I’ve met really smart people here and I know that WK does wonders in teaching you kanji, so i’d suggest you give it a shot, you’ll breeze through the first levels.

Maybe read this topic, 100% recommended.

I have to agree with Kumi-chan on this one, he was just a bit sarcastic but he was helping you. Your answer actually says more about you than about him


wow that’s awesome, i agree with @Ninkastmin I don’t think Wanikani is what you need unless you think it will help you remember kanji better

Learning all that in 5 months must be tough, I have to say I’m afraid what you learned will be easily forgotten at this rate

1 Like

I’m sorry I really took his answer the wrong way when I saw other people answering super nicely.

I should not have reacted that way.


Many folks starting out on WK are still beginners to Japanese (I know I was), though there are people who still use it after having learned a good amount of it like you. (And even someone who’s passed the N1 :wink: )

WK is great for reinforcing readings and meanings for any kanji you may be shaky on, along with providing accompanying vocab. So I think it would be beneficial to you, even with your current knowledge. There’s no level skipping, as others have said, but it sounds like you have a lot of free study time available and you’ll be able to fly through the kanji you do know pretty quickly. :slight_smile:


… Did several posts disappear from this thread?

1 Like

this thread should disappear -_-

Definetly cram! But when it’s too difficult just skip

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.