Show me your books!

Good to know, thanks. Looks like I have a ways to go before getting there, but I’ll make it eventually! :crossed_fingers:

Agreed, the soundtrack is gorgeous. It matches the ethereal feel of the story really well.

2 Likes

Finally photographed my own stash!

Cover view of the fun ones:

Out of the fun ones, I’ve only started reading よつばと so far; the rest are motivation to keep studying. The 十二国記 series in particular (bottom right) was one of my inspirations to get serious studying Japanese, and I’m really looking forward to it.

34 Likes

That Teto sitting on top of the books… is that perchance a pencil case? Because I’ve got the same one. :slightly_smiling_face:

Mine’s gotten fairly worn from use, though…

4 Likes

Ooh, the 夏目友人帳 art books and novels! I intend to get them at some point as well~

4 Likes

Yes!! I couldn’t wait to buy them. :smile: CDJapan has been really good to me for buying all things Natsume, including some fun limited stuff like wall calendars.

This one’s just a regular plushie! A pencil case sounds cool, though. I did a Nausicaa cosplay a few years back, and this guy rode around on my shoulder all day.

10 Likes

Ordered myself some goodies at the start of the week expecting them to arrive in January at some point. I was pleasantly surprised when I woke up with a text from DHL saying I’d be getting an parcel today!

23 Likes

I haven’t come across Quartet before and looked into it. After reading a few reviews, it looks like it might be a better option after Genki than going right into Tobira as I’ve seen previously recommended. Something I’ll keep in mind when the time comes.

3 Likes

It’s literally by the same people so picks up exactly where genki ends.

And apparently a lot better than genki

4 Likes

Absolutely do quartet after genki!

2 Likes

I actually have enough books to (almost) fill out an entire shelf now! Two of them are in Spanish, but… :sweat_smile:

28 Likes

There’s something amusing about seeing manga series arranged in order left to right.

Ohhhh I have Crystal Hunters as well! I have the Japanese version volume 1-6.

3 Likes

Wow I did know there was a Japanese version of these. Yeah I might be cause I’m looking at the art and it looks extremely familiar to me!!! I think my mom read me these stories when I was a kid (in english of course).

1 Like

One or two series have cover designs set up so that when you do that the parts on the spines combine to form a single image; CLAMP’s X manga do this:
url
and one of the editions of the Ranma 1/2 manga does this:

(Sadly my copies of the Ranma 1/2 manga are mostly the other edition, because I bought them second hand and that version was what was usually in Book-Off at the time.)

21 Likes

Well, I’m glad you’ve found a way to be entertained by the little things in life because, well, that’s the normal sort order. Even in Japan.

12 Likes

I love your book spacer diorama! Did you make it yourself?

7 Likes

I did not, but my dad did! Well, he followed a kit, haha :sweat_smile:. I got it as a birthday gift! :blush:

19 Likes

That’s awesome! The detail is amazing, with the lights and even the tiny staircase.

7 Likes

I got one of those for Christmas. Well, actually, I got two of the same one, which means I currently have neither, because both of the givers have to figure out which of them, if either, can return it. :slightly_smiling_face:

7 Likes

I love it, but also part of my brain would be saying “but I could fit another five or six books in that space instead” :sweat_smile:

13 Likes