Should I know how to write in Hiragana/Katakana?

Yo, started to learn genki from scratch again. Workbook wants me to write some answers in Hiragana. Should I know how to write Hiragana/Katakana? I know how to read them, but remembering how they look exactly and then writing them down is kind of though…

I can see it being useful for every day life and to kind of switch to “japanese mode” when thinking. Could also be some help to further remember the Letters, just feels like a pain in the ass x)

Yeah, this is like 100x more useful than being able to write kanji from memory. You don’t want to be wasting time looking hiragana and katakana up if you’re writing, but kanji are another story.

6 Likes

Is it alright If I learn the handwritten way to write Hiragana instead of the “text book perfect” way?

Hiragana Writing Practice | Characters | Japanese-Lesson.com Thinking of printing this out before I start with genki and just learning how to write lol

P.S Yeah I’ll print it out, can’t be too bad for my handwriting lul

More than “alright”, I strongly encourage you to learn the handwritten way. Literally noone handwrites computer-font style.

3 Likes

Is the thing I printed out close enough?

Yep, that’s handwriting.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.