Short Japanese Culture Questions

I’m not sure which thing I said you disagree with. We have people who have even gotten married after meeting here, and they can keep working here. Nobody looks down on them. But there are certain work relationships they cannot have. Supervisor/supervisee, Auditor of the thing the other does, that kind of thing is, nope. You can be equal status, but we try to avoid even that for long periods of time. (We don’t have the typical, you work in this location until you retire thing, we have projects and worksites and people move around pretty frequently. That’s also why it’s easy or easier to find another project for one of them.) Once in a while it’s fine to work in the same place as your SO.

6 Likes

Sorry for being unclear…not sure if I managed to unclear myself with my edit above! ^^;

1 Like

That is definitely the feeling I get, though it must be said I’m getting that feeling as a complete outside with a wildly different cultural background and limited exposure to actual Japanese culture :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

But Japanese people in general seem much more conscious of separating private and public matters - it would make sense for this to be one of those separations.

6 Likes

Yeah i get what you’re saying now :smiley:

Even equal-level people doing the same thing in the same place is not… great. It could be ok for a while. Maybe it’s the nature of this specific job. High stress, sometimes people have differing opinions on high-stakes things - I don’t want people taking conflict like that home into their personal lives. And I don’t want clique-ish behavior like “if you criticize so-and-so, you’re criticizing me” going on. And one of them is eventually going to get promoted before the other, which will give us a problem again (down the road).

None of those are reasons by themselves that it can’t work. It just tends to not work and we avoid it.

edit: plus, breakup drama omg

5 Likes

I guess, it might be similar to the Swedish view of keeping religion strictly private - no obvious signs of it, christian crosses are viewed as strange or confrontative and obviously to wear visually statements like a burqa or a niqab - visual expressions of religion just makes people here uneasy for sure…

To put it in plain words, we are intolerant about it…

That’s deep culture and hard to change I feel. Not impossible, but tricky

Edit: I think this is the issue of any culture, not Swedish culture. The deeper a cultural concept it - the harder it it is to change. :woman_shrugging:

3 Likes

That right there is itself a very good reason to avoid allowing those situations. It doesn’t just happen on TV. Even when they are untrue, having rumors like that flying around is incredibly destructive to the faith in the company as a whole and specifically damaging to the person the rumors are about. Better to just eliminate any situations where those rumors could even be credibly plausible.

2 Likes

Isn’t that how the Short [Something] Questions threads always start?

In any case we’ve been using the other thread for general questions.

3 Likes

Quite. You started this thread because you had a question to ask, @ekg, so it’s not really any different to that one. :stuck_out_tongue:

4 Likes

I think there is room for two. Even if two threads start out the same, they don’t stay that way for long.

* “why is wanikani so slow” threads excepted

3 Likes

Quick, derail the other thread into questions about bacterial cultures!

6 Likes

5 Likes

I thought y’all were pretty successful in derailing this thread already :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

8 Likes

Oh God, the master thread derailer Nicole is here!

7 Likes

Every thread is derailed sooner or later.

This one was just a bit sooner, I guess :joy:

3 Likes

Kind of needs a ‘rail’ to get de-railed. :smiley:

2 Likes

So like, there is a new topic for the POLL thread now, no? :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

I took the thread heading as the rail (sorry for being so naïve :joy_cat:). None of the attributes „Short“, „Japanese Culture“ or „Questions“ were present :woman_shrugging:

4 Likes

More the merrier
Am the queen of several questions

3 Likes

In any work environment, romantic relationships are clearly conflicts of interest and many businesses are going to have policies about it.

Because it affects not only the parties involved, but everyone else in the business.

I’m not saying it doesn’t happen or that it’s anything shameful, but all parties have to be upfront about the potential issues and clear about how those issues are going to be handled.

On the other hand, if you’re sorta, kinda seeing someone but you have no idea whether it’s going to pan out or not, the above seems like a lot of extra stress that you don’t want to deal with.

So you hide it. :wink:

5 Likes

I guess it’s a bit different if you’re married. :thinking: And obviously, becoming parents and so forth, adding a layer to the complications.

2 Likes