Share Your Japanese Attack Plan!

I’m sure I’ve seen a few threads around here about this, but in the interest of sharing resources as a group I’ll share my own Japanese attack plan to fluency!

Grammar
-two chapters of Genki 1 textbook per week+ workbook
-read one chapter of Tae Kim’s guide per week
Reading
-daily wanikani

• x2 lessons daily Japanese Duolingo
    Conversational/Listening
  • x1 lesson per day Mango Languages Japanese
  • x3 episodes of anime per week (with subs for more advanced/without subs for children’s anime)
  • x1 Japanese pod YouTube video

What about everyone else?
ありがとう😊

This is quite an attack plan. Don’t burn yourself out though. But if you have the time, then 頑張って!

Thank you! I know it’s a bit ramped up, but I’m studying abroad next spring so I wasn’t to prepare as much as possible, it’s so rewarding to go onto Japanese YouTube or something and being able to read the titles :smile:

I’m dividing Japanese like this:
Grammar (Tae Kim’s Grammar Guide until I master JLPT N4)
Kanji (WaniKani)
Vocab (Mainly Memrise + WaniKani)
Writing/Reading (HelloTalk; some manga in the future maybe)
Speaking (talking to myself - in the future, videocalls)
Listening (anime & JP youtube channels right now, videocalls in the future).

My goals right now:
Study Tae Kim every day, atleast 1 grammar rule :heavy_multiplication_x:
WaniKani => Level up every 7,5 days max :heavy_check_mark:
Posting moments on HelloTalk every day :heavy_multiplication_x:
Write to Japanese natives every day on HelloTalk :heavy_check_mark:
Study vocab on Memrise every day :heavy_check_mark:
Hear atleast half a hour of Japanese every day :heavy_check_mark:
Start studying Japanese Ammo’s youtube videos every day :heavy_multiplication_x:
Get some money so I can pay for some iTalki lessons :heavy_multiplication_x:

Time available per day: whatever it takes. I’m on holidays (:slight_smile:

I like the idea of having a specific thing to study, but I don’t always adhere to it myself. Here is my current Japanese Attack Plan:

• Take 10 new Wani Kani lessons every day, and an addition 10 upon leveling up. Complete all reviews asap after they are due.
  • I have several Anki decks that are set up to introduce only an item or two every day.
  • I usually do a chapter of Tobira and one of the Yotsubato books every couple of weeks.
  • I read an article or two on NHK web easy or Rocket News every week.
  • I listen a lot to Japanese Podcasts, since I have a long commute.
  • I try and have one hour of conversation with a native speaker over Skype.
  • I’m really busy at work now, otherwise I’d love to spend time writing and getting corrections on italic or similar. I think this is one of the best ways to practice and reinforce the grammar and vocabulary I am learning.

My plan is actually changing soon since I’m starting a PhD program so I won’t have as much time as I’ve had previously, but basically I intend to do:

1. WK reviews 1-2 times a day so I can level up in 8-10 days each time.

2. Read a grammar lesson on www.imabi.net each day. It’s similar to the Tae Kim guide but much more in depth and with much more advanced content so that it’s really comprehensive. I’m currently on lesson 130/400 or so and I can’t really imagine dropping it for a real textbook.

3. Memrise: extra vocab with the WK expansion pack (reviews and adding 5 words each day), and I intend to make a memrise deck to help memorize grammar constructs and phrases from imabi (things like koto expressions for instance).

4. Whatever speaking/listening/reading practice I can muster, I’ll probably start using HelloTalk soon, but this part probably won’t be practice-able every single day if I end being as busy as I expect to be.

For this summer:

• Do a chapter of tobira every 5 days, and that shall cover reading, writing, listening, and grammar for me.

• Level up wanikani every week, and learn 25 new items from the 10anki deck

• Go to conversation hour every week.

1. Listen to japanese pod casts when in the shower or in the car.

Do you feel that imabi is better organized? I sometimes struggle with how the Tae Kim’s guide is ordered.

Also, does anyone know any material to do grammar exercises? I feel that something like that is missing =/

For Tae kim? There are no exercises after the first few articles. I don’t think it’s meant as a core way to learn grammar, I think it’s just nice to read to keep your grammar studies moving while you inch through a text book, to fill in holes between text books, and just to hear grammar points in a different way that may make more sense to you. Excreta. Or at the very least, that’s how I used it.

Maybe you’re right. I’m using it as my only grammar source and I don’t feel it is going as well as with vocab and Kanji =/

Any suggestions? :slight_smile: Thanks in advance.

I think I was in my teen levels of wanikani when I read it, and that seemed to be enough for me in terms of kanji and vocab. If you read it on the ipad/phone app you can click on any kanji and it will give you the reading and meaning. So I never had any trouble in that regard.

As for a main grammar resource, genki worked for me just fine. It will take you to around N4 level, and then you can start an intermediate textbook like Tobira.

I’m not sure if imabi is better organized as it’s not organized around JPTL level. For example, potential form and koto expressions and garu are taught in beginner but より is an N5 topic is taught in intermediate a bit after learning volitional and passive and causitive forms! It’s mostly better than Tae Kim for having more content overall and more detailed explanations and more expample sentences. So imabi does have all the content you need to know everything, but I can’t say it’s in the best order based on JLPT, though I do think he builds off of previous concepts and reviews them in later concepts quite well.

I can’t comment on whether or not it’s better than a textbook but for a self learner I think it could be. I understand the thing about practice exercises and I feel similarly, I used the N5 practice exam on the JLPT to gauge my progress before moving on, and I feel like just practicing whatever I learn by talking to someone who knows more than me is how I’ll practice moving forward.

Imabi doesn’t have exercises for most lessons, and I may switch to tobira when I know wenough kanji through WK to be able to read it, but idk yet. If anything having gone through most of intermediate Imabi by then could make using tobira easier, but I’m not sure where the cutoff between the two resources would be. I’d mainly just get he benefit of practice exercises from tobira, and that’s it.

Do you practice writing?

(Almost) every Week:

Wanikani
SRS N2 and N3 grammar with japanesetest4you deck on Anki
SRS N2 vocab on Memrise
Reading books for kids / teens
Listening to Hiikibiiki podcast on commute
1hr / 1hr Eng - Jp conversation exchange
90 minute man to man lesson with tutor

• Writing a roughly 500 character essay to be checked by tutor
    90 minute volunteer group class

When the fancy takes me:

Reading books for adults
Trying reading exercises from N2 Kanzen Master
Studying grammar points from N2 Kanzen Master
edx pronunciation course
Watching N3 / N2 videos from Nihongo no Mori
Watching videos from Toco Toco TV

Also, since I live in Tokyo, I obviously use Japanese at random points throughout my daily life. Could be chatting to someone at futsal or calling to make a reservation etc. Sometimes I’ll go a week or two barely using Japanese, sometimes I’ll use it several times in a day.

Generally the above is working pretty well for me. However, I still feel like my progress is pretty slow and I often get frustrated when I can’t communicate as smoothly as I’d like. Just got to keep plodding away, though.

Considering I’m leaving for Japan in less than 70 days, I should have a better and more efficient attack plan, but I’m also a bit busy in general this summer which is making it all a little difficult.

That being said, this is my “general” attack plan as it stands:

• WaniKani (daily) – complete all of my reviews as they pop up (unless I can’t) because that keeps the reviews bearable at about 5-10 per time, unless I suddenly get a 30+ review in the morning lol.
  • HelloTalk/LINE (daily) – I don’t really use the HT app as much these days, but I still talk to the same people I made friends with on LINE now, and we generally talk exclusively in Japanese throughout the day, so it’s good written practice at least.
  • meet with my Japanese friend 2-3 times per week – we don’t exclusively study, but lately we’ve been meeting at cafes to study for 5-6 hours, alternating between Japanese and English studies. I just need be more confident about speaking with her in Japanese.
  • learn and master a new grammar point (daily) – I use a mix of websites + textbooks for this, but I really need to buckle down and work through the Genki books. I just don’t enjoy textbook learning since I learned all of the Japanese I know from conversation, which is far more fun and rewarding.
  • iTalki (tentative) – I did a lesson once and it was fun, so I want to give it a shot again, maybe in August when I’m getting ready to leave.

For now, I expose myself daily to Japanese through YouTube (Japanese YouTubers are so great), music, variety shows, and dramas. I’m trying to focus less on reading/writing because it’s a skill I’ve honed for months, and my listening/speaking really needs to catch up.

Daily (3hrs~)

• Wanikani : Reviews + 10 lessons
  • Anki : Reviews + 10 new vocab
  • 1 Hour of listening study : Lets plays and anime (no subs, have restricted myself to one subbed a week)
  • Duo-lingo : 50xp a day
  • 10-20 mins of reading WK Community post to see if i find a cool new learning resource.

Goals

• Incorporate more grammar than what is offered on duolingo

Good luck on meeting your goals :slight_smile:

** @colorandlight imabi looks really good. Thank you.

Took a look at that imabi website. Made it to lesson 6 of Beginners I section so far. I was a little intimated at first but even at my mere WK lvl of 5, it was pretty easy to follow. I’m definitely adding this to my repertoire of resources.

Bomb Hiroshima and Nagasaki.

… too soon?

What I’ve got going here, is Tae Kim Drill Deck. I am reading through Advanced Topics. I also added Listening section, powered by AwesomeTTS, which is read by a robot named Kyoko.

The original deck, which I then modify, is here.

I also have 文法ガイド app, to read.

新完全マスターN4 – poor test score, but I might consider resuming.

So Matome series N4 – Looks cool. Well organized for unorganized guy like me. Planned in the book – daily plan and weekly plan for 6 weeks. But… I hate the word “Grammer” in the cover – very vexing misspelling.

Genki 2 – bought it and not hard, but I am too lazy to do it.

Tobira – a little hard, though if I dare tolerate the stress, I might be able to do it.

So, in the end, it is Tae Kim and Anki after all. No plan to do Imabi, unless there is a good Anki deck / Excel spreadsheet to invest on.

Yeah I don’t think anyone has made an imabi deck yet, but I plan to make one with memrise when I can figure out how to create one.