Share Your Japanese Attack Plan!

Could you please send me the modified deck you made?

Damn, everyone’s really so dedicated.

I thought my life is pretty overrun with Japanese studies… but some of these routines are crazy! I guess it’s something where you’ve really gotta get as much exposure as possible.

Anyway.
WK Reviews first thing in the morning, throughout the day if possible (not usually) and again when I get home.
JPOD101 on the drive to and from work.
Depending on which text book I’ll do a chapter/a couple of pages a few days a week.
Posting on lang8/writing in diary when I have time/want to know something specific.
Anki deck daily of words I’ve seen in the wild that I want to learn/remember
Youtube videos/anime/music when I wanna do some passive studying.
Used to do iTalki lessons but teacher had to stop because of a new job and I haven’t found a new one yet, but it was a really beneficial tool.

1 Like

Do my best! Zipping down to 0 lessons and reviews on wanikani when I have time, some apps to bolster kanji study, a phonetics course on memrise… I ordered a grammar textbook because I don’t find myself enjoying free online stuff I’ve been using, so that’ll happen soon lol. I’m just doing my best till summer hits and I can do more.

I usually do WK every day in the morning, before bed, and during breaks/lunch at work. The amount of lessons I do differs for vocab, but I always do all the radicals/kanji as soon as they appear.

I have an Anki deck for top 10k most common words that I do every day when I get home from work. Currently have it set for 17 new cards each day.

I try to listen to Jpod101 on my commute too, but my thoughts can wonder off a bit too much when driving so I’m not sure how much I’m actually taking in when listening to it. For grammar studies, I’ve been a bit on & off with what resource I use but I mainly switch between Genki & Tae Kim’s guide. I use HelloTalk every day though and have multiple conversations going on with people, so I think I learn passively through that as well.

1 Like

Sure, here’s mine

Grammar (1-2 hours a day):

• Bit of Tobira each day (not really going in any particular order of grammar points, usually 2 easier ones and 2 harder ones each day)
  • A Dictionary of Intermediate/ Advance Japanese Grammar (Just working my way A-Z)

Reading(3+ hours a day, usually closer to 5-8)

• Japanese Fiction (usually fantasy, slice of life or other world)
  • Other Japanese (EX: news, social media, blogs, ect)

Translation (1-2 hours a day)

• 1 hour of Japanese to English translation a day
  • 1 hour of studying parts of what I translation I did not understand

Vocabulary (1.5 hours)

• 90 minutes of Wanikani a day (45 in the morning, 45 before bed)
  • 40 lessons a day
  • I pick up a lot of vocabulary from reading
2 Likes

My must-do list:

• WK
  • Anki deck containing all the words I look up
  • Homebrew core10k listening practice webapp (listening is my weakest skill)
  • Chatting with my current two HelloTalk friends.

Other stuff I do, which I may or may not keep doing:

• japanesetests4u grammar deck in anki
  • playing through FFX trying to keep up with the subtitles
  • Watching let’s plays of JRPGs where the player reads the lines, trying to keep up.
  • Reading the no 6 novel I just picked up, since it’s the first actual book I can read without a dictionary.

Otherwise I just try to do at least something japanese-related each day. Reading manga, watching let’s plays, playing games, chatting…

2 Likes

I’ve found if you mimic/parrot everything you hear them say (whether you understand or not) it definitely helps concentration, plus listening and speaking skills. It seems if you listen enough to repeat it, I find that I actually do know more words than when I’m passive listening.

Yeah, I almost always repeat what they say aloud. It definitely helps me learn the pronunciation.

I’m still a pretty fresh beginner (check out that sweet level of mine) but:

• WK reviews first thing in the morning
  • JPod101 on my way to work (usually listen to around 2 lessons as well as jotting down the vocab in a notebook - I write down WK radicals, kanji and vocab in here too!)
  • WK reviews at lunchtime
  • Listen to J-pop at the gym
  • At home, I do my best to do some WK lessons, go over the JPod101 lessons and last WK reviews before bed (JPod101 reviews don’t usually happen, so I’ll listen to them again on the morning commute)
  • An anime episode (or 2 or 6 if I’m too emotionally involved) before I go to sleep

I recently bought ‘Japanese the Manga Way’ so I’m going to try and squeeze that into my routine as well as easy kids texts. I’m going to make my own WK flash cards pretty soon, I bought coloured paper to match WK haha. I have so many resources in my notes on my phone I want to use but there aren’t enough hours in the day at the moment, but I need to keep reminding myself I’m still really early on in my learning journey! I’ve never really been this motivated about learning anything before but trying not to burn yourself out while being excited to learn a language is pretty hard!

4 Likes

Good luck! Sounds like you’ve got a good plan.
Japanese the Manga Way is an awesome resource, though if you’ve got time, I recommend reading it multiple times when you’re at different stages of the learning journey at first a lot of it went over my head, but with time it all starts to come together and the real world examples become invaluable.

1 Like

My plan:

–I’ve done both Elementary Japanese books a long time ago but I’m using YesJapan!'s online version of Japanese from Zero and Duolingo to review and get back into the swing of things. I usually do 3 Japanese From Zero lessons a week. I’m at the end of Book 4 right now.

–After I’m done with reviewing with YesJapan!, I’m starting Tobira with the goal of a lesson a week. I’ll continue Duolingo.

–WaniKani every day.

–I read an entry from my grammar dictionary every day that I’m at work (4 days a week).

–I blog a short paragraph at least 3 times a week in both Japanese and English. My posts are not very sophisticated and I am sure some of the grammar’s wrong, but it at least gets me looking up new words and using what I know. (https://eigonihongo.blogspot.com/ if anyone wants to see and comment on how to make my Japanese better).

–I try to watch dramas or anime from time to time. I’m a binge watcher, so I’m not very consistent.

– I was using readers some a while back, but I need to get back into doing this. (Work. Time. :disappointed: )

2 Likes

I love this topic! I’m new to studying Japanese with little to no background so I’m starting with the absolute basics! I set “goals” of different sorta every week/month/quarter and track them in Evernote. Every time I achieve I goal, I get an award. I do this in order to prevent burn out and frustration.

What I do/use:

1. Study at least 30 minutes a day (I’m averaging more like 90)
  2. Katakana worksheets until I feel more confident
  3. Wanikani 1x-2x a day
  4. 3 chapters of Human Japanese a week
  5. Create flash cards for all vocab in each chapter and study daily. Get quizzed by husband on Fridays.
  6. Write grammar notes (by hand to help me memorize)
  7. Watch subbed anime 2x per week
  8. Listen to Japanese music 5x a week

I’m sure I’ll change this up as I move along. I’m looking forward to practicing with someone but that will be a while. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I took some extra steps to export the deck to ensure cross-compatibility with non-Mac. Still, need Multi-Line Input Box add-on. I had better write a tutorial to using Anki sometime. Even exporting is a problem in Anki.

I don’t plan to do Production on this deck at all. Had better get a proper grammar workbook.

1 Like

Have you considered doing this using, for instance, hinative or HelloTalk instead? That way you can get it checked by native speakers rather than fellow learners :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Best strategy so far:

1. Lay down
  2. Cry

11/10 would cry again

10 Likes

Not sure if you meant to direct this at me. I don’t use Anki.

Ooooh ok! As in read it cover to cover every now and then while still doing the lessons?

Thanks for the tip. I’ll definitely look into that.

Honestly finding out so many new resources is unimaginably helpful

Here’s my current daily plan that I’m making up literally as I’m writing this:

1. Watch one Japanese from Zero! video. They’re usually pretty short so this isn’t too time consuming
  2. Learn 10 Wanikani words if they’re available
  3. Study one chapter of Imabi
  4. Do at least two or three levels of Human Japanese, depending on how long they are

I listen to JPop and watch JDramas even when I’m not consciously learning, so they’ll fit in-between whenever they can.

While I’m jobhunting I’ve got plenty of time to kill, so hopefully this plan won’t be too stressful. Now all I have to do is find the courage to download HelloTalk and actually communicate with native speakers … :S

1 Like