Script Request: ignore some selected words

Hello Everyone,

I find the number of vocabulary exercises too much. there are many words that have similar meaning or many forms of the same word. This makes the learning even harder. I would keep only one from such each group with a little research. There are also many not that commonly used words. So it would be great to have a script that would allow us to somehow hide the selected words forever. Anyone knows if such a script exist?

Looking at the WaniKani APiDoc here: WaniKani API Reference, there is a ‘hidden’ flag that is to prevent a subject from appearing in lessons or reviews. But i dont know if this can be used for the purpose above and in case of yes, then how to make a script out of it.

Thank you

The purpose of the vocabulary is to reinforce the readings of the kanji. If you hide some vocab items because their meanings are too similar to other vocab items, you could be missing the benefit of that reinforcement.

4 Likes

There is no way for a script to set the hidden flag. Only Wanikani may set this flag for its internal purposes.

You will encounter in real life words with similar meanings. You will have to learn them sooner or later if you want to actually use the language. This hurdle is part of learning Japanese.

2 Likes

Thank you @Belthazar and @prouleau for the responses. Yes i am aware of that but i still prefer to have a small setback instead of getting overwhelmed, burned-out and quit learning. In the end these are just tools and i do not see a problem bending the rules to help ME keep learning.

I will keep reading the API Doc, lets see how it goes. Feel free to point any other feature that might be used for this purpose.

There really aren’t that many words that are genuinely interchangeable. If you pay attention to the example sentences, you will see that their usage is fairly specific. Ignoring this could lead to problems down the line.

2 Likes

As far as I know the API has no feature for doing what you want. The closest I can think of is to make a kind of reorder script that indefinitely postpone the unwanted items. Personally I am not interested in writing something like this.

2 Likes

Thanks guys. I will try to convince myself to follow the wisdom of the WaniKani folks.

3 Likes

I think the only real option would be to write something like the reorder script that basically just moves any of the selected items to the back of the queue, stops lessons when reaching them, then adjusts your dashboard to give you the impression that no lessons are left. The only real candidates with identical definitions that come to mind are the する verbs for which the base word is already known though, although that’s such a small set that writing the script would probably take longer than the reviews for all these items combined.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.