Script for pointing out on'yomi/kun'yomi mistake?

So, I use the Wanikani app for Android and one cool feature I like is, it points out if I made a mistake of writing on’yomi instead of kun’yomi (and vice versa) and warns you.

While I never use any other script but in this case, if there is vocabulary same to a kanji but uses a different reading, down the line it is easy to confuse which one.

A simple example is 毛. Normally in jukugo words, (as per the pattern right now) they use the same reading as the one we were taught during kanji phase. So, when I got this in vocabulary review I remembered 毛糸 and thought since it is read as け here, the vocabulary should probably be もう and I got it wrong. Even though, I knew both the readings. if I had done it in the android app, it wouldn’t have let me do this mistake. So, I am kind of hoping to know if there is one similar to it.

Its important to remember that kanji and vocab are two different things. Kanji make up vocab, and sometimes its only that single kanji, but the concepts are different. Take 人, for example. The kanji means person and can be read as じん にん or ひと. So let me ask you, how do you say “person” in japanese? The answer じん or にん is 100% wrong, as the word for person can only be read one way: ひと.

rfindley has a pretty good example of this that imma steal.

What hes saying is that kanji, which make up words, can be read in multiple ways (much like letters of the english alphabet). The words they make up, however, have exactly 1 (in most cases) reading. Its important to familiarize yourself with how vocab words are read.

In the event that you think that you can skate by and people will understand you anyways, allow me to provide you with an experience I had. 2 years ago I was in Arashiyama and was asking for directions and I pronounced 北 as ほく. Got the blankest stare and I could not figure out why for the life of me. About 30 minutes later I had realized I switched the readings. ほく does not mean north. It is the onyomi reading for a kanji we have assigned the meaning “north” to, but it is not the word for north.

I think it’s better to solve to problem at the core rather than put a bandage on it. You over-generalized the idea that jukugo use the onyomi and got a reading wrong due to that. I don’t see the benefit to just letting yourself off the hook in learning the vocab readings.

No one said I am not learning the other reading. The thing is I remember both the readings but forget which is used for which (both used for the same kanji). If I didn’t make it clear, I confuse between reading of https://www.wanikani.com/kanji/毛 and https://www.wanikani.com/vocabulary/毛 about which goes where. I remember both. No one is asking for a free pass here.

And instead of preaching, I just want to know if such script exists.

@Vanilla that was also a pretty pointless post since you didn’t understand my question even a single %.

They did understand your question. Such a script doesn’t exist, as it would be wrong. A word only has the one correct reading, you have to learn which it is.

I get that you know both readings, but you need to know which reading is the right one for the vocab words. If you let it just say “oh it was the other one” every time, then you are getting a free pass each time.

And there’s an ignore script if you want. It will do what you want and more. Get it wrong and you can just try again without any penalty.

I usually recommend only using it for times when WK lacks correct synonyms or when you make a legitimate typo, but you can do what you’re requesting too.

Perhaps you should reread the previous posts. They are just trying to explain why getting a retry in the situation your described would cause people to learn the wrong reading.

If you are having a conversation with someone about fur and say もう you are wrong. As a word, it can only be pronounced け.

Yes. I understand.

What I am saying is that if you got that wrong, it was because of your lack of knowledge. Using a script to make up for your lack of knowledge on how a word is read will not help you.

If you think https://www.wanikani.com/vocabulary/毛 is read as もう, or that it can be, you are 100% undoubtedly wrong.

I understood it clearly. You are not the first person to make this mistake, and everyone in this thread has agreed with me thus far and my original post got 6 likes. Plain and simple its because there is one very clear cut correct answer on this topic.

By doing what you want to do, you arent really learning. Leebo put it pretty bluntly

You are really just giving yourself a pass when you didn’t know how to read a word.

Of course not. Everyone knows it would be completely pointless and only serve to impede your studies. Who would want that?

Actually you kinda are. Youre asking to be able to enter in a wrong answer and get another chance. Sounds like a free pass to me.

As far as I know, the app only does this for kanji, not vocab. And so does the website, no script needed.

Wait… was that seriously what this was all about? The shaking for kanji? We get the “why doesn’t it shake for vocab” question all the time, but I guess no one realized it was specifically that question because of the way it was framed. Well, I take that back, the responses wouldn’t have been much different. It did seem odd that the app would have that script for vocab.

That was my thought too, but I had never used the app so I didn’t want to assume. I thought OP would know the difference between vocab and kanji, but actually now that I think about it…he does seem to have them pretty confused LOL.

But yeah, I still stand by everything I said.