Returning to WaniKani

So between a cold, some work hecticness, general laziness, and moving to a new apartment, I’ve been kind of slacking on WaniKani for a while, and well…

Any tips on getting back into the groove of things when the review stack is this high?

14 Likes

Do a bit every day. Don’t overexert yourself. Take your time.

10 Likes

50 in the morning, 50 in the evening, until it’s done. Or more if you feel like that’s a better pace for you.

2 Likes

100 push-ups, 100 sit-ups, 100 squats, and 10km running every single day and you’ll be done in no time !

22 Likes

In case you’re not aware of it, there’s a button to wrap up and complete all the partially reviewed items and finish the session. So do as many as you can in a sitting and then continue later :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

You can use this script whenever you do reviews until you reach 0; once you’ve caught up, you should stop using it:

3 Likes

Use the reorder script to do your reviews in batches by level. First all the level 1 reviews, then all the level 8, then all the level 12, etc. I recently discovered that if you right click on the level number, all review items in that level disappear from the review batch temporarily. I like to make them all disappear except for my target level. It creates little doable batches, makes you feel like you’re actually making progress when you “finish” and keeps same-level kanji fresh in your mind for related vocab. Also don’t even look at your lessons for a couple of weeks.

disclaimer: only do this when faced with a huge review pile. not for everyday use since it can mess with your long term retention. you can read more about that in the comments for the script posted above

4 Likes

If they do go down the reorder script route, I’d recommend not sorting by level, but by type; do all radicals first, then kanji, then vocab.

2 Likes

It should pretty much go without saying that you don’t want to add more lessons in until you finish these reviews. Besides that, just suck it up and do it.

2 Likes

I tend to go fast for big piles, not crazy blitz chess but I don’t want to ponder a meaning for 15 minutes in fear of a wrong answer. Inpatient? yes. Hurts accuracy rate? Yes, but I don’t care too much lately because either I know it or I don’t. WaniKani is an SRS machine that really works. It will feed the system again and strengthen you memory next time (well…hopefully). It also helped me put the extra time in to review the items you miss after wrap up and address the problem areas to prevent repeated misses. It will require more reviews in the end but so be it, I bought the lifetime.

1 Like

I’ve never been in this situation, but my plan for if I ever do is: try to calculate how many new items I get a day and then do ~100 more than that until it’s back to normal. Also, maybe make use of the reorder script so that I do Apps last. They respawn quickly, so it would make sense to do the other ones first to avoid just pushing a pile and having it come back the very next day. Like Woman in the Dunes.

Edit: Hmm, the Reorder script doesn’t let you sort by SRS level. But seeing as Apps are most likely to be in your last level, just sort it in ascending order.

I second the post above, just go quick through it. It might not be the most efficient way, but it will keep you from losing all your motivation, and you lose your motivation, you quit, and that even more inefficient. And when I say “quick” I mean through individual items. It’s still a bad idea probably to do it all in one sitting. Do batches.

1 Like

Definitely do that.

2 Likes

まずはおかえり!がんばろう!

My top ignored reviews total was only 550 something and I successfully zeroed them in a somewhat not unhappy feeling. How can I offer you tips? If you do your review twice a day, morning and afternoon, and see that you have reviewed even only 30 or 50 items no matter whether you got green or red, be grateful that you did it. I did that. And I was somewhat bewildered, eh, it’s below 400 already? and it keeps that way for a week. Then, eh, it’s below 200 already? and it keeps that way for a week. And, on, and, on, until it’s (almost) always zero again.

3 Likes

Thanks for all the tips everyone!!

And I didn’t know about the reorder script, so I’ll definitely be making use of that!

Time to start fighting my way through :muscle::muscle:

2 Likes

Do you have in-unit washer/dryer?

1 Like
1 Like

This is mentioned in chapter 11 in @jprspereira 's guide. I personally like the suggestion of using the reorder script to tackle items level by level. This is obviously not something you would usually want to do but for climbing a huge mountain of reviews it makes a lot of sense.

1 Like

Okay I’m extra glad I decided to use the reorder script now, because I started with my level 1 reviews and ended up burning items for the first time ever! Felt super motivating!

4 Likes

I’ve done it! I feel so free…

6 Likes

よく頑張ったね!

Well done. It is such a nice feeling when you finally get this mountain of reviews under control.