(request) a timer to enter the answer

Today I had an idea which I’m still not able to code myself.

Basically a timer (default 10 seconds) which counts down and submits the item or fails it if not entered.

Why? The idea of srs is to get it to a point of instant recall otherwise if you come across it in real life you don’t have the same opportunity to think about it.

By imposing a limit you inevitably force a few items to be failed that you may have known but didn’t recall fast enough.

It’s only a concept of whether this would work or not I’m not sure. But I have a feeling that it might work much better in reality than it sounds on paper lol.

Here is theoretical ‘code’ of how I imagine it would work.

New item.

start timer based on kanji ‘level’ and user chosen timer required (longer for apprentice etc)
End timer

if AnswerPresent then,
press submit .
elseif AnswerNotPresent then
type “I didn’t know this fast enough”
press submit.
Check Result.
if correct then
press ‘next’ for next item.
if incorrect then
await user to continue to next item.

1 Like

If you tweak the timing you could also reduce Wanikani reviews to zero clicks of the enter button if you don’t mind waiting a bit lol.

That’s not a bad idea. +1

As long as it’s optional, sounds pretty good. I’d be way too frustrated if I had a timer on new items, and what’s more is that sometimes I like to talk to others during my reviews (Instant messaging ftw) or browse the forums for a short break, but I don’t like to close out of my reviews because I use that as a way to make sure I’m not spending TOO much time off track. (As in, “Ok I can take a break, but it can’t be longer than the time it takes for a session to time out”). Yeah, sometimes it times out anyway…but I try not to let it. And talking in between reviews is pretty much normal for me, so having a timer like that forced on me would just be annoying.

But on those days where I really want to see how quickly I can recall items, that’d be nice. Would also be nice if you could choose what level items would have what time limit set. (Ex. Apprentice items: 40 seconds vs Enlightened items: 10 seconds.) 

This would really have to be optional.

Taking a minute or two to come to a correct answer is a lot better than quickly providing an incorrect answer. For me, the pressure to get through hundreds of reviews in a day in a reasonable amount of time is a timer in and of itself. However, I kick myself when I get too anxious and pick the first answer that I recall but is incorrect. 

Maybe best to do in a user-script.

Well, personally, I would find it a huge stress factor to have a timer. And I have certainly enough stress in my life already.

For me SRS is about  long-term storage of all  those kanji/mnemonics that we learn - Not about speed training for a Jeopardy Game show.

Our needs vary of course. However, there are already Android Apps for stress-o-holics - like “Wanikani Speed”.  For those who have Android that is.

Anyway,  I think there are a lot of things language -wise in WK that are more in more urgent need of improvement.
LIke adding word class information, sample sentences  and things like that.

goranbr said...Not about speed training for a Jeopardy Game show.

VS

Jatacid said...The idea of srs is to get it to a point of instant recall otherwise if you come across it in real life you don't have the same opportunity to think about it. 
 Im leaning towards number 2
goranbr said... Well, personally, I would find it a huge stress factor to have a timer. And I have certainly enough stress in my life already.

For me SRS is about  long-term storage of all  those kanji/mnemonics that we learn - Not about speed training for a Jeopardy Game show.

Our needs vary of course. However, there are already Android Apps for stress-o-holics - like "Wanikani Speed".  For those who have Android that is.

Anyway,  I think there are a lot of things language -wise in WK that are more in more urgent need of improvement.

I'm guessing this will probably be a userscript, and not something built directly into Wanikani, so the Wanikani team won't have to take time off of other (more important) projects to work on it.
Apraxas said...
goranbr said...Not about speed training for a Jeopardy Game show.

VS

Jatacid said...The idea of srs is to get it to a point of instant recall otherwise if you come across it in real life you don't have the same opportunity to think about it. 
 Im leaning towards number 2
 Unless it's street sign your in danger of driving past I can't think of many situations where you wouldn't have time to think about it in real life.

Personally I wouldn't use it.

Nobody’s asking if you’d use it.  Someone’s just requesting a user-made addon they think would fill a need they have.

1 Like

great idea, I’d use it XD

Don’t really need an add-on, just decide for yourself if you’re not recalling the item quickly enough, and fail it on purpose

Neil said... Unless it's street sign your in danger of driving past I can't think of many situations where you wouldn't have time to think about it in real life.

How about talking or writing, one doesnt spend thinking 5+ seconds for every word you wanna say.
Apraxas said...
Neil said... Unless it's street sign your in danger of driving past I can't think of many situations where you wouldn't have time to think about it in real life.

How about talking or writing, one doesnt spend thinking 5+ seconds for every word you wanna say.
 Well the purpose of the site is to get you to recognise kanji, not speak.

Maybe I'm just being in a bit of an awkward mood.

I’d be up for this, when i have to take a minute or two to remember something and it becomes mastered or enlightened it doesn’t quite feel right.
I also agree that it should be optional, let people study the way they want to.

What would be cool is if you entered it correctly after time was up that the penalty wasn’t so bad as getting wrong, i.e going down 1 srs level instead of 2 or it just staying as it is.

Serenial said...
goranbr said... Well, personally, I would find it a huge stress factor to have a timer. And I have certainly enough stress in my life already.

Our needs vary of course. However, there are already Android Apps for stress-o-holics - like "Wanikani Speed".  For those who have Android that is.

I'm guessing this will probably be a userscript, and not something built directly into Wanikani, so the Wanikani team won't have to take time off of other (more important) projects to work on it.
 Yeah, pretty sure it'd be a userscript. But it'd nice if it could be easily turned on or off without having to do too much every time you decide whether or not you feel like using it. But, I ask too much probably! Oh, laziness.

It would also be cool to connect this timer to a short electroshock if you fail or take too long…

people these days… so hectic… The Crabigator isn’t a bootcamp instructor!

if you can’t read/speak/listen/write at a sufficient speed, it’s not the fault of wanikani, it’s your lack of practising the language elsewhere.

not only that, but it would keep me from wasting so much time on any single item. My reviews would go a lot faster if I didn’t stop and think for some of them

anyway, this would probably be best as a setting, not a forced update

I love this idea.  Maybe the timer can be shortened the more advanced the word is, apprentice words get you a little more time, Enlightened words get shorter time.  When I burn an item I want the words to come to me instantly.