Reported speech

Hi everybody! I got some doubts and hope you could help me. I’m studying what my teacher calls reported speech, but I’m not so sure about it. We use Japanese for Busy People III (yes, I know, there are better textbooks out there), but it doesn’t explain so good the point I’m struggling with.
I think I’m writting the sentences for you to know what I’m talking about.

また後で電話すると伝えてください。

後でこちらに電話するように伝えてください。

Well, my doubt is how to know whether it means you are the one who will call again, or you are saying, please tell him to call me later. I know it has to do with ように, but still I seem to be unable to got it.

Thanks for your help.

The best way to put ように伝える in this case is to tell (someone) to do (verb) which other person told/ordered to do so, which I know sounds like a mouthful.

But basically when ように is paired with some kind of “request” verb it turns into a more polite way to make a request. So, ように言う - to tell ように頼む - to ask someone to do ように注意する - to “advise”, etc etc.

3 Likes

I see. Thank you. So the と in the first sentence would indicate what I’m going to do and I want someone tells it to another person, right?

Yea, in the first one, it’s the quotative と that you’d see in places like と言う and と思う as well. So that one is just “Please tell…”

Ok, ok, I got it now.

ありがとうございました!

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.