Repeating after

Anyone tried repeating after japanese speaker. For example when watching a youtuber, try to repeat after him/her immediately. Not exactly shadowing. If I know correct, you repeat same sentence with speaker again and again until you sync with reader. This is not the case in this method. I just try to repeat what I hear as soon as possible. When I hear watashi I repeat watashi. If I miss some section I can’t repeat and when I encounter a know word again for example ikimasu then I repeat ikimasu. And watch whole video once like this. If anyone tried or doing this, I would like to hear their opinions.

3 Likes

I sometimes do this while watching or listening to things in a different language. It helps me especially when encountering new words. Makes them stick so much better. :slight_smile:

I do! (o´▽`o)ノ
I currently use an app called Japanese Conversation by CUDU (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.cudu.conversationjapanese&hl=en). It’s still limited as it only covers the basic conversation but still good for practicing. It can record your voice repeating the sentences and compare with the speech.

I do this with my RocketLanguages.com. It has conversations that can be repeated as many times as you want. Then they give you a grade on how well you did. It’s helpful.

1 Like

Does anyone know the difference in effectiveness between repeating (listening to a sentence, then repeating it alone) and shadowing (almost instantly repeating after the speaker)?

I feel like when I do shadowing I can’t really hear the intonation, emphasis etc. It becomes much more clear when attentively listening and then repeating exactly.

3 Likes

I do the same thing and for the same reasons. Listening and repeating works much better for me, and on Rocket Japanese, there is a recording system that will give you a rating for your speaking.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.