Remembering the kanji

Is it a good idea to use Remembering the Kanji along side Wanikani? I want to learn how to write kanji anyway.

1 Like

they use different radicals, that might cause issues. apart from that, no problem.

Yeah, I shelved RTK to start doing WaniKani. There’s a little bit of some annoying overlap right now with radical names, but it’s not terrible.

My goal is to go through WK to get good at reading and recognizing, then go back after and do RTK to get writing down.

3 Likes

It’s probably a best idea to go back to rtk after you’re done with wk. Is what I’m thinking anyway. Doing rtk in a couple of months and using japanese keywords by then, so no troubles related to the overlapping.

1 Like

i did rtk years ago and can still remember those names (heisig calls them “primitives”), which i found kinda cool. i still got the book of course, learning to write with them did never occur to me… but makes perfect sense. and with japanese words as “definition”.
actually a pretty awesome idea.

3 Likes

I think RTK gives a better insight to why a kanji is written the way it is, and helps to explain the makeup of certain kanji. Like how 月 often means “flesh” and is used in kanji that has something to do with the body, or how the radical that we call “nailbat” here is actually 手 but squished to扌and is normally used for things that involve hands, like 投 (though you probably already know this if you have the book).

I think WK definitely helps with remembering how to read and recognize, but one of the reasons I stand by RTK as a solid resource is because it gives you these insights into the kanji. When I discuss kanji with one of my Japanese buddies, he says this is how he looks at them as well, which makes me stand firm in my assessment.

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.