Recognizing onyomi in meaning

First of all, incredible app, I love it!

I’m not sure if this is something that has happened to you people, but very often as I’m going through my reviews I see a kanji (pink background) and I immediately type out the onyomi and press enter, only to realize a few seconds too late that I was actually typing in romaji and that wanikani was looking for the meaning and not the reading.

The problem really occurs when I’m learning new kanjis since getting a mistake while the kanji is in Apprentice level really sets you back and prevents you from leveling up until you guru it. In spite of being correct and knowing the onyomi, since you typed it at the wrong time, you will be forced to start all over again.

I understand that the “intended solution” to this problem is just going slower through your reviews and take the time to read if wanikani is asking for the meaning or the reading. But I was wondering if the same sort of protection that is offered with kanji readings when you input the kunyomi instead of the onyomi could be added to meanings. So when I’m looking at 勝 and I type “shou” the input shakes my answer and say something like “Wanikani is looking for the meaning” instead of just saying its wrong.

Thank you very much in advance!

2 Likes

There are some scripts that have this funcionality built in, I think Double Check does this for me. But maybe you want to look around in the The New And Improved List Of API and Third Party Apps top post, to see if there is something that does only this.

4 Likes

:open_mouth: I didn’t realize there were scripts for WaniKani, I’ll take a look into this! Thank you very much!

2 Likes

Not necessarily. I had the same problem at first, but now I can easily tell whether they’re asking for the meaning or the reading without stopping to think about it. It’s just a matter of getting used to it, I guess.

Also, maybe you already knew this, but when they ask for a meaning the text field that says “Meaning” below the Kanji picture will be white, whereas when they ask for the reading it will be black (or viceversa, I can’t remember clearly).

It’s faster to just look at the color rather than to stop and read everytime.

Took me about three or four levels and lot’s of wrong inputs to realize (and retain) :sweat_smile:

Guess there is nothing much to do about it. As for on’yomi and kun’yomi though: wanikani is forgiving in case you type in the non expected one.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.