Readings struggle: Kunyomi....onyomi...and exceptions!

For me personally, i didn’t pay attention to which readings were which until about now, after a while you kind of get a feel for which redings tend to be used when, and which ones are usually taught on Wanikani (usually (but not always) you’ll be taught a reading that the word will take in a multiple kanji ‘word’, then with the vocab you’ll learn that reading and the one used for verbs, and maybe one used for on its own). As you’ve noticed Japanese tends to only be formulaic up to a point.

One of the most notorious examples of this is the rendaku which makes the /t/ sound become a /d/, /s/ become /z/,etc. there are circumstances that make rendaku more likely, but it mainly happens when it sounds ‘better’ with rendaku. the only hard and fast rule is that it is never at the beginning of words. There was an interesting article on Tofugu that helped it make a bit more sense to me, and some of it is just listening to and reading lots of words on wanikani (there are more as you get up in levels). I second @rwesterhof 's suggestion of using the audio if you don’t already.

I honestly wouldn’t worry about your accuracy. It’s not super important, it just means you’re getting things right first try more often and thus leveling them up quicker. Wanikani isn’t a race, your accuracy looks fine as it is.

If you want to take a break from lessons to concentrate on reviews, there’s nothing wrong with that. heaps of people do this to reduce their amount/pace of reviews, becuase of decreased time to wanikani, heaps of reasons. I’m doing that at the moment actually. But i wouldn’t say that you’d have to do it to get your accuracy high, accuracy isn’t as important as regularly completing reviews, which will cement items in your mind better long term. High accuracy (which you have anyway) is good, and helps, but it’s not the most important thing in this marathon.

Most people do do 10-20 lessons/day from what i’ve heard, and if you find yourself struggling to remember things as well due to heaps of items, then there’s nothing that’ll hurt you by doing less. The way SRS works means that things will keep coming back and building up for a long time into the future, so many people start off quickly with heaps, and find later that they need to slow down anyway.

The best advice I can give you is to try lots of different things to try and find what works for you, since every person is different and learns differently. Some people do grammar and use their Wanikani vocab in sentences, others write their lessons down in books, still others make use of API and Third Party Apps, and still others do so many more things, I couldn’t list them all.

I hope some of that helped/answered your questions : )

Also, since this is your first post:
Hi @OmarHadhoud

tenor

It’s great to have you here!

If you haven’t already, check out the WaniKani Knowledge Base and User Guide , as well as this topic for any questions you might have. This topic has some information from the all-mighty @crabigator, and here are the Community Guidelines. There is lots of good info here for new users like you!

If those don’t answer your questions, feel free to post something in your own thread like you’ve already done here! Everybody here is extremely helpful and is more than willing to answer any and all of your questions. If you still need help, send an email to hello@wanikani.com

In addition to WaniKani, there are tonnes of other resources available to help you learn Japanese!
You can check out this topic for a wealth of resources to guide the other aspects of your Japanese learning adventure, and this topic for help in starting to read content in Japanese.
You can also join one of the many Book Clubs in the forums for motivation and a good time!

Wanna just hang out in the community and get to know your fellow Wanikanians? Hop on over to the POLL thread and Campfire.

Good luck, I look forward to seeing you around!
(sry for the novel (^u^')>)

3 Likes