Reading Murakami Haruki's 1Q84 (Intermediate/Advanced Book)

New thread is up!

Book One Chapter 18: 天吾:もうビッグ・ブラザーの出てくる幕はない Haruki Murakami’s 1Q84

Sorry for the delay, new thread will be up later today. For whoever is interested, I am now about 100 pages behind, but I’ve got a two week vacation starting Monday. Planning to read a lot!

2 Likes

I know I promised, but work ran late, and I had Japanese class and I’m tired, so tomorrow for sure! Got the whole day off :blush:

2 Likes

I finally uploaded the threads. I went through Word this time, and it inserted unnecessary white spaces.

Book One Chapter 19: 青豆:秘密を分かち合う女たち Haruki Murakami’s 1Q84
Book One Chapter 20: 天吾:気の毒なギリアーク人Haruki Murakami’s 1Q84

1 Like

Thank you! :slight_smile:

If you ever want some help creating the threads let me know, I’d be happy to take over sometimes.

1 Like

And if you want to go really crazy and automate stuff, there’s always this:

Happy to help you set it up (and extend it if necessary) :wink:

3 Likes

Hey @Saida, how are you doing? :slight_smile:

Hi, sorry I’ve been MIA for the past month or so. I’m not sure how to explain what’s been going on lately… Probably a bit of stress buildup or something. I’ve had low motivation for Japanese, aside from class, and a bit of WK. Can I take you up on your offer to take over the bookclub?

4 Likes

Of course, no problem. :slight_smile:

I hope things get better for you, but please take as much time for yourself as you need, and come back when you have the energy for it again.

As for the bookclub - I hope no one minds too much if I don’t take over the layout of the chapter threads exactly? (I don’t think I’m the type for recaps. :upside_down_face:) I’ll be setting them up later today.

@Hijiki, are you done with the book already? Or have you managed to stop at a chapter a week?

Since Nicole and Saida are reading at their own pace, I think this leaves us two as the people reading along, so I’m wondering about the break between books. Shall we do a week again, or would you prefer something different?

4 Likes

I have two more chapters left, but I haven’t been keeping a regular pace, and without new threads for a while I’m not even sure I’m not behind schedule as well.
I alternate between Murakami and the Advanced book club picks to read while commuting (of course, if something exciting seems about to happen I keep reading even after I arrive at home) and I focus a bit more on 1Q84 after I finish the weekly assignment or the entire book for the other book club, but now that we started a new book I’m struggling to get used to the new setting and writing style, so I only get a couple of days at the end of the week to read other things. Hopefully my reading speed will increase after a couple more weeks into the story.
That being said, I think that going with a chapter per week until we finish book 1 and then taking one or even two weeks as a break before we start book 2 gives anyone interested about a month from now on to catch up.
Then again, maybe this book ends on a cliffhanger and it will be really hard to keep waiting so much before moving on to the next volume…

2 Likes

Here’s the threads for chapters 21, 22 and 23, our current week. :slight_smile:

As this is the first time I take over the creation of book club threads, please let me know if you spot any mistakes or something that could be done better or more cleanly.

Also who do I ping to make the home thread OP into a wiki? I’d like to add links to the newly created threads to it. @ moderators?

You’re actually exactly on schedule! The scheduled chapter this week is 23, the penultimate one. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

Good luck juggling すべてが with this. You seem to be right on track. :slight_smile:

That’s a good point about possible cliffhangers waiting for us at the end of the book… I suppose we can decide spontaneously at the end of the book.

1 Like

@Saida is a Regular so they can turn it into a wiki themselves. (Other than that, yes, mods would be the right account to ping)

1 Like

Oooh, I forgot about that! That’s so useful. :slight_smile:

@Saida お願いします!

I think regulars can only make their own post into a wiki?
So the mods would probably be your best bet here.

Ahem :wink:

1 Like

Oh, sorry! I thought you were talking about the individual chapter threads… I’ll see myself out :smile:

2 Likes

I think I did it!

2 Likes

Thank you!

I added the links to the OP, and cleaned up some of those lenghty ones. Here’s to hoping I didn’t break any! :eyes:

Here’s this weeks thread for chapter 24, which brings us to the end of this book. :slight_smile:

Personally, I’m really curious to see what happens next (and a bit apprehensive about those warnings about book 2…). I also really like break weeks, though. :sweat_smile:

I guess I could go either way on this. If I had to vote…

Should we have a break between books? If so, how long?
(You can choose up to 2 votes. If you think we should have a longer break than 2 weeks, tell us why. :slight_smile:)

• No break
  • 1 week’s break
  • 2 week’s break
  • Clickity click
0 voters

Looks like we’re going with 1 week’s break - and also like I made that poll anonymous. :joy:

See you for the start of book 2.1 next week! :blush:

2 Likes

Here’s the Book 2 Chapter 1 discussion thread! I somehow expected the numbering to go on, but they reset for Book 2. :face_with_monocle:

Sorry for the delay. I’ll try to post the threads before the actual start date in the future so they’ll be up on time!
I deleted my previous reply so I could post this since I’m not the OP. Could someone do me a favor and reply with anything before the next week so I can post again? :laughing:

1 Like