Reading ブラックジャックによろしく manga exercises (p14-and up)

Here it is more likely the other meaning: “terminal” (as in terminal illness)
(note also the kanji are “end-period”; the period isn’t specified; be it years, weeks, or “time in hospital” will depend on context)

2 Likes

Yup I know look above :top:.

1 Like

Turns out I’m back here again… Haha.

Well, true. I was just hoping to stop the ‘spread’ of the idea that only input is a good idea, because the guy who’s most famous for following that method (who is now very fluent)… he locked himself in his room while he was staying with a Japanese family to avoid making ‘bad output’. He says he regrets it now, but that’s scarily antisocial and very extreme. And while it’s true that output (like what we’re doing here) doesn’t produce a huge amount of learning, getting corrected afterwards does. And practising output makes you more fluent with the words you already know.

1 Like

G1:

《現実の日本の医療費『は』50 兆15 年後『には』80 兆『と』言われている》

I’ll edit the answer here.

The reality of medical fees in Japan…
15 years later…
Quotation 『と』…
Verb to say…
I’m only missing 兆… which means trillion.

I’m telling you that the reality of medical fees in Japan is 50 trillion now and. 80 trillion 15 years later.

1 Like

以上 means “more than”/“beyond” (以 = compare, 上 = above); これ以上の治療は無駄だ means the same thing as これからの治療は無駄だ.
Translation in spoiler: “in other words, any treatments from now are useless”

2 Likes

I won’t go looking for the original thread as it’ll just annoy me but I know exactly who you mean and… let’s just say I’ve got him and his hashtag blocked on social media. Bit offtopic, but he has a weirdly dedicated (and defensive/hostile) following and I’m a bit concerned about some of them. If someone wants to wait until they feel ready to start speaking that’s fine of course, but I agree that output is far from useless. Imagine you’ve been hardcore studying for years, start speaking for the first time and inevitably make mistakes; that can’t be good for your confidence, especially if you’ve avoided speaking precisely because of a fear of making mistakes and forming “bad habits”. I won’t tell anyone how to live their life but that’s my two cents haha.

3 Likes

I won’t be doing G2

…so help yourself.

So what do we do when this page is done again?

と言われている means ‘to be considered’/‘to be said’. It’s like a sort of public opinion. ‘It is being said that/people are saying that…’. There are actually two separate sentences. The second one starts with 15年後. So the quotation particle actually only applies to that, I think.

Also, 現実のA is ‘real A’. (EDIT: I’ll need to discuss this with a friend though, because that’s what the dictionary tells me, but my kanji knowledge is giving me an additional nuance, and IDK if it’s important…) 現実の is like an adjective. ‘The reality of A’ would be Aの現実. Otherwise though, looks good. :+1:

2 Likes

I’ve never read someone on the internet go: “ok, you’re right, I change my mind”. As adults we grow attached to our ideas for dear life. Intellectual jousting is fine, but that’s about it. Might be proven wrong!

2 Likes

The idea was to continue, in the same thread, with the next two pages of the mange. Until there were too much posts and a new thread opened.

1 Like

Really? I thought you said it was 's last time.

Next two pages:

p16-17

Direct link to the pages so you can zoom in

see also the Home page for Episode 3

Maybe you shouldn’t put the page in the title otherwise you’ll need to update every time. Up to you though! :slight_smile:

G.-2

その金を君はどこからひねりだす…?

"From where would you manage to find that money?"

その 金 を 君 は どこ から ひねりだす…?
that money [object] you [topic] where [from] manage.to.find ?

Quite straightforward.
New vocabulary: 捻り出す : 1. to work out, to come up with; 2. to manage to find (money)

H.

このままでは日本の医療財政は崩壊する…

on transcription...

phonetic similarities can be sometimes misleading…
With my knowledge of 財布 (さいふ, wallet), I tried, for 財政, さいせい but it was actually ざいせい

I had also to look for 崩壊 (ほうかい)

(I realize how little vocabulary I actually have…)

"If the situation continues, the financial situation of medical care in Japan will crumble..."

この まま では 日本 の 医療 財政 は 崩壊する…
this condition is-TE [emphasis] Japan [の] medical.care financial.situation [topic] collapse+do

まま is an unchanged condition; so the wording “the situation continues” in the interpretation.

Yes, yes, の is like 's, but I’m saying that 現実の (the whole block) acts like an adjective. There’s actually something called a の-adjective , but if that sounds confusing (I certainly don’t use the concept much), you can see it as の linking a characteristic feature to the thing being characterised. (I think @YanagiPablo mentioned this idea before.) AのB can also be ‘B characterised by A’, just like how ‘of’ in English and “de” in French sometimes link characteristic things to the ‘main’ noun, like ‘a man of steel’ = a man made of steel (literally)/who is like steel (figuratively). I’m fairly sure we’ve all come across 普通ふつうの as in 普通の建物たてもの. 普通=the ordinary, so 普通の建物たてもの = buildings of the ordinary = ordinary buildings.

In your sentence, if we use my 's interpretation, we get 現実の日本の医療費=reality’s Japan’s medical fees=medical fees of Japan of reality, but the ‘reality’ bit doesn’t make sense if we translate it like that. However, if we take it that ‘reality’ characterises ‘Japan’s medical fees’ in some way, we might say ‘real medical fees in Japan’ or ‘actual medical fees in Japan’.

@YanagiPablo: 崩壊 is also the name of an anime-style game produced by a Chinese developer which has Japanese voice actors to do the Japanese dub! (The official English name is more of a compromise between the Japanese and Chinese pronunciations of 崩壊 though…) More seriously speaking, in Chinese, 崩=collapse/fall apart/burst and 壊=broken/bad (this meaning doesn’t exist in Japanese, but in Chinese, it’s the everyday word for ‘bad’; 悪 is a literary word for ‘bad’, and is sometimes closer to ‘evil’ in Chinese).

By the way, just a general thought for everyone about the particle で: sometimes, I just treat it as the mid-sentence form of だ・である・です when the ‘means’ interpretation doesn’t really work. I mean, で probably gave its meaning to である, and not the other way around, but that doesn’t mean we can’t apply our understanding of である to で. E.g. このままでは: the condition/state of the medical system isn’t really a ‘means’ to cause its finances to collapse; it’s the cause of the collapse. No one’s using it to bring about the collapse. It’s more like ‘if this state continues’. On the other hand, if we treat it as a form of である, we get ‘This state being (the case)…’, and the sentence makes sense.

3 Likes

Thank you, never hear of kanshudo before, looks like a good website. I liked the length of your reply too, it was just right!

Claiming I:

@Jonapedia:

Many Japanese words, almost always nouns or pronouns, can be used as adjectives by adding の at the end.

From the website Jonapedia linked. Again, determining if it’s a possessive or an adjective can only be settled with context I suppose.

In the sentence I last translated:

現実←の→日本← の→医療費

現実: is listed as a noun in my dictionary. I suppose it can only a の adjective because here it can really “possess” Japan? Whereas…

日本
Is a possessive の as in: Japan ’s medical fees (医療費).

1 Like

Off-topic post to share a site I thought might be useful:

https://speechling.com/?

It’s supposed to be a free site on which you can record yourself doing speech practice and send it to a coach who will evaluate it and give you comments. I’ve never tried it, but it seem interesting. And you only need to pay if you want ‘unlimited’ coaching, because it’s a non-profit, so they just need money to keep the site running. Japanese is one of the languages.

Guess I’ll do J

J

だったら なんで 手術 なんか した んだ……?
be-TARA why surgery something-like do-past [emphasis/attention]

Translation

In that case, why did (they) do something like surgery…?
だったら: if + to be (so something similar to ‘if that’s’). Can be combined with other words to form a full conditional block e.g. (This came to mind because of the manga’s contents) 医者だったら、なんで助けてあげなかった? = If (you)'re a doctor, why didn’t you help (that person)? Heads-up: ったら (with the little っ) can also be used to reinforce a statement (especially an order), or to emphasise one’s focus on a person/thing e.g. あなたったら、いつもこんなふうね!= You, I say, you’re always like this, huh? 早くこいったら!= Come quickly, I said!
なんで: Written with kanji, it would be 何で=what + [means]. Thus, it means ‘by what means/based on what etc’ = ‘why’
なんか: it means ‘something like’, but it can also have a slightly condescending connotation. Here, it might help to express Saitou’s disapproval and anger towards the pointless surgery.

2 Likes

No (the idea is that it could be added by anyone, not necessarly the one that made the first post);

It’s true that the real wiki “home thread” is missing; but I want to be sure the whole idea makes sense before requesting for it.
This is how I think that wiki “home post” should look like.

If enough people likes the idea, then the content of that post could be copied into the wiki post, and improved.
(I am even thinking to do a thread for the whole manga; the first message presenting the whole manga, the author, etc. Then one message per episode.
But I don’t know if several messages can be made a wiki in a single thread)

現実←の→日本← の→医療費

I think here it is (現実の)(日本の)医療費 (both attributes of 医療費) rather than ((現実の)日本の)医療費 (現実 attribute of Japan).

Of course, technically both are possible, but “real medical fees of Japan” makes more sense than “medical fees of the real Japan”.

I recently read that one big difference between 小さい vs ちいさな is that while in 小さい山の鳥, “small mountain bird”, it is ambiguous what is small; in 小さな山の鳥 it is unambiguously the mountain that is small (birds from the little mountains), as those な forms can only be directly before the noun they modify.

2 Likes

Well, I would be this thread isn’t a wiki so I can’t. :slightly_smiling_face: This is the problem with the current setup, it’s less community driven than before. It went back to one person in charge like before with a non-editable first message which is not the spirit of the community principle.

The sooner we have an editable first message wiki the better. This is something fundamental for me (as a person). I hold very strong democratic beliefs and I’m strongly against any sort of pyramidal schemed organisations regardless of the context. :yum:

I think we can give the home thread a try now. Unless you ask for a vote. There won’t be a way to know if people like it enough so I propose that you create it and then the community will edit it to it’s needs.