๐Ÿ“š๐Ÿ“š Read every day challenge - Winter 2023 โ˜ƒโ„

Day 40
The solution to the case in Kindaichi Shounen vol.2 is crazy. I like the manga but I would prefer if it was a little bit more down to earth. Anyway I didnโ€™t have much time to read just 40 pages.

2966 pages read

18 Likes

:raccoon: :books: The Tanuki Kotatsu Reading Den :snowflake: :raccoon:

February 11th
ๆ–ฐๆ›ธๅคช้–ฃ่จ˜ progress: 08.64% // Volume I: 100% / Volume II: 0.14% :coat:

Complete the first volume, and read a teeny bit of the second

Words found under the kotatsu

้™ฃ็พฝ็น”ใ€Œใ˜ใ‚“ใฐใ‚Šใ€ใƒผ Battle surcoat
ๅ‰ๅž‚ใ‚Œใ€Œใพใˆใ ใ‚Œใ€ใƒผ Apron

Character Name List

Probably some spoilers, but this is a historic novel, so can spoilers really exist for things that have (for the most part) actually happened :thinking:

Volume I: 1535 - 1555

ๆ—ฅๅ‰ใ€Œใฒใ‚ˆใ—ใ€- Hideyoshi (as child)
Nicknames: ็Œฟใ€Œใ•ใ‚‹ใ€/ ้‡ๅฃฒใ‚Šใ€Œใฏใ‚Šใ†ใ‚Šใ€
Name serving Nobunaga: ๆœจไธ‹ ่—คๅ‰้ƒŽใ€Œใใฎใ—ใŸ ใจใ†ใใกใ‚ใ†ใ€

Family
ๆœจไธ‹ๅผฅๅณ่ก›้–€ใ€Œใใฎใ—ใŸ ใ‚„ใˆใ‚‚ใ‚“ใ€- Father
โ€“ โ€“ ไน™่‹ฅใ€ŒใŠใจใ‚ใ‹ใ€- Old friend (serves under ็น”็”ฐ)
็ญ‘้˜ฟๅผฅใ€Œใกใใ‚ใฟใ€ใƒผ Step-father
ๅคงๆ”ฟๆ‰€ใ€ŒใŠใŠใพใ‚“ใฉใ“ใ‚ใ€// also ใŠๅฅˆๅŠ ใ€ŒใŠใชใ‹ใ€ใƒผ Mother
ใŠใคใฟ - Older sister
ๅฐ็ซนใ€Œใ“ใกใใ€- Baby brother
ๅŠ ่—คๆธ…ๆญฃใ€Œใ‹ใจใ† ใใ‚ˆใพใ•ใ€// also ๅผพๆญฃใ€Œใ ใ‚“ใ˜ใ‚‡ใ†ใ€- Ojisan (only distantly related (before marriage))
โ€“ Married to: ใŠใˆใค (sister of ใŠๅฅˆๅŠ )

Friends & Acquaintances
ไป็Ž‹ใ€ŒใซใŠใ†ใ€- Big kid friend
ๆ–ผ็ฆใ€ŒใŠใตใใ€(Nickname - full name: ็ฆๅคช้ƒŽใ€ŒใตใใŸใ‚ใ€) // ๆฅŠๆ™ฏ็ฆใ€Œใ‚ˆใ†ใ‘ใ„ใตใใ€(Chinese name/birth name) - Timid kid friend (older than Hideyoshi)
โ€“ ไบ”้ƒŽๅคงๅคซ ใ€Œใ”ใ‚ ใ ใ‚†ใ†ใ€// ็ฅฅ็‘žใ€Œใ—ใ‚‡ใ†ใšใ„ใ€(Chinese name) - Father
โ€“ ๆขจ็ดใ€Œใ‚Šใใ‚“ใ€- Mother
ๆจๆฌก้ƒŽใ€Œใ™ใฆใ˜ใ‚ใ†ใ€- Previous servant to ไบ”้ƒŽ, later the adoptive father of ๆ–ผ็ฆ, and owner of a tea ware shop - and employer of, and master to, Hideyoshi

Hachisuka Clan
่œ‚้ ˆ่ณ€ๅฐๅ…ญใ€Œใฏใกใ™ใ‹ ใ“ใ‚ใใ€(also ๆญฃๅ‹ ใ€Œใพใ•ใ‹ใคใ€) - Head of the Hachisuka clan
โ€“ ไธƒๅ†…ใ€Œใชใชใ„ใ€- Younger brother
โ€“ Married to ๆพๆณขใ€Œใพใคใชใฟใ€
โ€“ โ€“ ไบ€ไธ€ใ€Œใ‹ใ‚ใ„ใกใ€- Son

Retainers:
็จฒ็”ฐๅคง็‚ŠๅŠฉใ€Œใ„ใชใ  ใŠใŠใ„ใฎใ™ใ‘]
้’ๅฑฑๆ–ฐไธƒใ€Œใ‚ใŠใ‚„ใพ ใ—ใ‚“ใ—ใกใ€
้•ทไบ•ๅŠไน‹ไธžใ€ŒใชใŒใ„ ใฏใ‚“ใฎใ˜ใ‚‡ใ†ใ€
ๆพๅŽŸๅ†…ๅŒ ใ€Œใพใคใฐใ‚‰ ใŸใใฟใ€

Others:
ๅ›ฝๅ‰ใ€Œใใซใ‚ˆใ—ใ€- Gunsmith/blacksmith
ๆธก่พบๅคฉ่”ตใ€Œใ‚ใŸใชใน ใฆใ‚“ใžใ†ใ€- Deserter - Nobushi (Nephew to Koroku)
้›ฃๆณขๅ†…่จ˜ใ€Œใชใ‚“ใฐ ใชใ„ใใ€- Spy disguised as a Komuso
ไป็”ฐๅฝฆๅใ€ŒใซใฃใŸ ใฒใ“ใ˜ใ‚…ใ†ใ€- Subordinate

(่œ‚้ ˆ่ณ€ๆญฃๅˆฉใ€Œใฏใกใ™ใ‹ ใพใ•ใจใ—ใ€- previous head of the Hachisuka clan)

Saito Clan
((questionable) Alliance with the Hachisuka clan)
ๆ–Ž่—ค ้“ไธ‰ใ€Œใ•ใ„ใจใ† ใฉใ†ใ•ใ‚“ใ€- Head of the Saito clan
โ€“ ๆ–Ž่—ค็พฉ้พใ€Œใ•ใ„ใจใ† ใ‚ˆใ—ใŸใคใ€(also: ้ซ˜ๆ”ฟใ€ŒใŸใ‹ใพใ•ใ€) - Son

ๆ˜Žๆ™บ ๅ…‰็ง€ใ€Œใ‚ใ‘ใก ใฟใคใฒใงใ€(common name: ๅๅ…ต่ก›ใ€Œใ˜ใ‚…ใ†ในใ„ใ€) - serves under Dosan
โ€“ ๅˆๅธ‚ใ€ŒใพใŸใ„ใกใ€- Underling / foot soldier

ๅ €็”ฐ ้“็ฉบใ€ŒใปใฃใŸ ใฉใ†ใใ†ใ€- Chief retainer
ๅผฅๅนณๆฒปๅ…‰ๆ˜ฅใ€Œใ‚„ใธใ„ใ˜ ใฟใคใฏใ‚‰ใ€- Retainer (cousin to Jyubei)
โ€“ ๆ˜Žๆ™บๅ…‰ๅฎ‰ใ€Œใ‚ใ‘ใก ใฟใคใ‚„ใ™ใ€- Father
ๆ˜ฅๆ—ฅไธนๅพŒใ€Œใ‹ใ™ใŒ ใŸใ‚“ใ”ใ€- Military commander

Oda Clan
็น”็”ฐ ไฟก้•ทใ€ŒใŠใ  ใฎใถใชใŒใ€- Leader of the Oda clan (Married to the daughter of Saito Dosan)
โ€“ ๅฏๆœˆใ€Œใ†ใฅใใ€- Nobunagaโ€™s faithful, old horse :horse:
โ€“ ็น”็”ฐไฟก็ง€ใ€ŒใŠใ  ใฎใถใฒใงใ€- Father and previous leader of the Oda clan
โ€“ โ€“ ็น”็”ฐไธŽไธ‰้ƒŽใ€ŒใŠใ  ใ‚ˆใ•ใถใ‚ใ†ใ€- Younger brother
โ€“ โ€“ ็น”็”ฐไฟก่กŒใ€ŒใŠใ  ใฎใถใ‹ใคใ€(Other name: ไฟกๆˆใ€Œใฎใถใชใ‚Šใ€) - Son (half-brother to Nobunaga (different mother))

Retainers (Under Nobuhide rule):
ๅนณๆ‰‹ ๆ”ฟ็ง€ใ€Œใฒใ‚‰ใฆ ใพใ•ใฒใงใ€
โ€“ ไบ”้ƒŽๅทฆ่ก›้–€ใ€Œใ”ใ‚ใ†ใ–ใˆใ‚‚ใ‚“ใ€(nickname: ไบ”้ƒŽๅทฆใ€Œใ”ใ‚ใ†ใ–ใ€) - First son
โ€“ ็›ฃ็‰ฉใ€Œใ‘ใ‚“ใ‚‚ใคใ€- Second son
โ€“ ็”šๅทฆ่ก›้–€ใ€Œใ˜ใ‚“ใ–ใˆใ‚‚ใ‚“ใ€- Third son
โ€“ ้›จๅฎฎๅ‹˜่งฃ็”ฑใ€Œใ‚ใ‚ใฟใ‚„ ใ‹ใ’ใ‚†ใ€- Servant
ๆž— ็ง€่ฒžใ€Œใฏใ‚„ใ— ใฒใงใ•ใ ใ€(common name: ๆ–ฐไบ”้ƒŽใ€Œใ—ใ‚“ใ”ใ‚ใ€/ nickname: ไฝๆธกใ€Œใ•ใฉใ†ใ€) (served under Nobunaga too)
โ€“ ็พŽไฝœๅฎˆใ€Œใฟใพใ•ใ‹ใฎใ‹ใฟใ€- Younger brother
้’ๅฑฑ ไฟกๆ˜Œใ€Œใ‚ใŠใ‚„ใพ ใฎใถใพใ•ใ€(common name: ไธŽไธ‰ๅณ่ก›้–€ใ€Œใ‚ˆใใ†ใˆใ‚‚ใ‚“ใ€)
ๅ†…่—ค ๅ‹ไป‹ใ€Œใชใ„ใจใ† ใ—ใ‚‡ใ†ใ™ใ‘ / ใ‹ใคใ™ใ‘ใ€

Retainers (Under Nobunaga rule):
ๆŸด็”ฐๅ‹ๅฎถใ€Œใ—ใฐใŸ ใ‹ใคใ„ใˆใ€(Nickname: ๆจฉๅ…ญใ€Œใ”ใ‚“ใ‚ใใ€)

Others:
ๅธ‚ๅทๅคงไป‹ใ€Œใ„ใกใ‹ใ‚ ใ ใ„ใ™ใ‘ใ€- Archery master/instructor
ๅนณ็”ฐไธ‰ไฝใ€Œใฒใ‚‰ใŸ ใ•ใ‚“ใฟใ€- Master of military strategy
ๆต…้‡Žๅˆๅณ่ก›้–€ใ€Œใ‚ใ•ใฎ ใพใŸใˆใ‚‚ใ‚“ใ€- Military commander
โ€“ ๅฏงๅญใ€Œใญใญใ€- Daughter
ใŒใ‚“ใพใ - Former worker/servant, friend of Hideyoshi

Shiba Clan
ๆ–ฏๆณข็พฉ็ตฑใ€Œใ—ใฐ ใ‚ˆใ—ใ‚€ใญใ€- Head of the Shiba clan, at Kiyosu castle
โ€“ ๆ–ฏๆณข็พฉ้Š€ใ€Œใ—ใฐ ใ‚ˆใ—ใ‹ใญใ€- Son

Imagawa Clan
ไปŠๅท็พฉๅ…ƒใ€Œใ„ใพใŒใ‚ ใ‚ˆใ—ใ‚‚ใจใ€- Daimyo

Retainers:
ๆพไธ‹ไน‹็ถฑใ€Œใพใคใ—ใŸ ใ‚†ใใคใชใ€(common name: ๅŠ ๅ…ต่ก›ใ€Œใ‹ใธใ„ใ€)
้ฃฏๅฐพ่ฑŠๅ‰ใ€Œใ„ใฎใŠ ใถใœใ‚“ใ€
ๅคš่ณ€่ƒฝๅ…ซ้ƒŽใ€ŒใŸใŒใฎใ† ใฏใ—ใ‚ใ†ใ€(nickname: ่ƒฝๅ…ซใ€Œใฎใ†ใฏใกใ€)

Takeda Clan
ๅคช้ƒŽ็พฉไฟกใ€ŒใŸใ‘ใ  ใ‚ˆใ—ใฎใถใ€- Commander
(Married to the daughter of Imagawa Yoshimoto to tie the clans)

Non-affiliated
ไธŠๆณ‰ ไฟก็ถฑใ€Œใ‹ใฟใ„ใšใฟ ใฎใถใคใชใ€(also: ไธŠๆณ‰ ไผŠๅ‹ขๅฎˆใ€Œใ‹ใฟใ„ใšใฟ ใ„ใ›ใฎใ‹ใฟใ€) - Founder of the ๆ–ฐ้™ฐๆตใ€Œใ—ใ‚“ใ‹ใ’ใ‚Šใ‚…ใ†ใ€school of Kenjutsu
โ€“ ็–‹็”ฐๅฐไผฏใ€ŒใฒใใŸ ใ—ใ‚‡ใ†ใฏใใ€- Disciple
โ€“ ็ฅžๅพŒไบ”ๅ…ญ้ƒŽใ€Œใ‹ใ‚“ใ” ใ”ใ‚ใใ‚ใ†ใ€- Disciple

ๅกšๅŽŸ ๅœไผใ€Œใคใ‹ใฏใ‚‰ ใผใใงใ‚“ใ€- Kensei; legendary swordsman

Historical People
  • ้˜ฟๅ€ไปฒ้บปๅ‘‚ใ€Œใ‚ใน ใฎ ใชใ‹ใพใ‚ใ€ใƒผ Japanese scholar & poet (700s)

• ็™ฝๆฅฝๅคฉใ€Œใฏใ ใใ‚‡ใ„ใ€ใƒผ Chinese poet (Bai Juyi / Bo Juyi) also known as: ็™ฝๆฅฝๅคฉใ€Œใฏใ ใ‚‰ใใฆใ‚“ใ€in Japan. (Late 700s)

• ้“ๅ…ƒใ€Œใฉใ†ใ’ใ‚“ใ€(or ้“ๅ…ƒ็ฆ…ๅธซใ€Œใฉใ†ใ’ใ‚“ ใœใ‚“ใ˜ใ€ใƒผ Japanese Buddhist Priest, writer & poet (also known as ๆ „่ฅฟ็ฆ…ๅธซใ€Œใˆใ„ใ•ใ„ ใœใ‚“ใ˜ใ€) (Early / mid 1200s)

• ็ฉบๆตทใ€Œใใ†ใ‹ใ„ใ€ใƒผ The one and only Kukai or Kobo Daishi - a Buddhist monk. Posthumously given the title of: ๅผ˜ๆณ•ๅคงๅธซใ€Œใ“ใ†ใผใ† ใ ใ„ใ—ใ€born as: ไฝไผฏ ็œž้ญšใ€Œใ•ใˆใ ใฎ ใพใŠใ€(late 700s / early 800s)

• ๆบ้ ผๆ”ฟใ€Œใฟใชใ‚‚ใจ ใฎ ใ‚ˆใ‚Šใพใ•ใ€ใƒผ Prominent poet and warrior (1100s)

• ๅนณ ้‡็››ใ€ŒใŸใ„ใ‚‰ ใฎ ใ—ใ’ใ‚‚ใ‚Šใ€ใƒผ Military commander and court noble, claimed to be an ancestor of Oda Nobunaga (Mid-1100s)

• ๆก“ๆญฆ๏ผˆๅคฉ็š‡๏ผ‰ใ€Œใ‹ใ‚“ใ‚€๏ผˆใฆใ‚“ใฎใ†๏ผ‰ใ€ใƒผ 50th Emperor of Japan, claimed to be an ancestor of Taira no Shigemori, thus ancestor to Oda Nobunaga (Mid-Late 700s)

Volume II: 1555 - 15??
(currently 1555/6)

Oda Clan
ๆœจไธ‹ ่—คๅ‰้ƒŽใ€Œใใฎใ—ใŸ ใจใ†ใใกใ‚ใ†ใ€- Hideyoshi

ๆต…้‡Ž ๅˆๅณ่ก›้–€ใ€Œใ‚ใ•ใฎ ใพใŸใˆใ‚‚ใ‚“ใ€- Military commander
โ€“ ๅฏงๅญใ€Œใญใญใ€- Daughter

19 Likes

11/2 24 pages Orange, 10 pages ๅคœใ‚ซใƒ•ใ‚ง (finished book)

Iโ€™ve not had too much time to write recently - currently on a plane ride for work (will be working on return flight). So figured Iโ€™d type a longer update.

Today I finished volume 3 of ๅคœใ‚ซใƒ•ใ‚ง, and I think weโ€™re having a short break before the next one.
Iโ€™m catching up with Orange, but still a couple of weeks behind currently.
And Iโ€™m up to date with Spy Family, though havenโ€™t done this weekโ€™s reading yet.
ใŠใฐใกใ‚ƒใ‚“ใŸใกใฎใ„ใ‚‹ใจใ“ใ‚ is my other problem child that Iโ€™m 2 weeks behind on, despite the fact that the club is finished now.
Iโ€™ve held off reading any more of ใ‚ทใƒฃใƒ‰ใƒผใƒใ‚ฆใ‚น until Iโ€™m up to date with the others, so will try to wait for the club to catch up.

20 Likes

I suspect Rubin was being intentionally humorous there, yeah, but itโ€™s also apparently the case that the widespread use of the ๅ—่บซๅฝข for the kind of thing English passive is used for dates largely to the Meiji era when writers translating English works into Japanese adopted it as the way to translate passives.

I vaguely recall also reading that Murakami Harukiโ€™s style is quite heavy on this use of the passive, as a deliberate choice reflecting the style of translated literature.

15 Likes

Feb 11, Sat of Week 7 of Winter Q1 2023 :snowman::snowflake:

• ใตใ—ใŽใฎๅ›ฝใฎใƒใƒผใƒ‰ Vol.2 Ch.8-9 - ไผšๆดฅ(ใ‚ใ„ใฅ)้“(ใฉใ†) (end volume)
Vocabulary book in the manga

vocab list

I donโ€™t know what inebriate was (well, until I looked up).

• ใ†ใŸใ‚ใ‚Œใ‚‹ใ‚‚ใฎ
Words of the day
  • ใ“ใพใ‚ = diligent = ๅฐ(ใ“)ใพใ‚. In context as ใ“ใพใ‚ใซ.
  • ใงใฃใฑใ‚Š = lump; projection = ๅ‡บ(ใง)ใฃๅผต(ใฑ)ใ‚Š
  • ใ‚ณใƒญใƒญใƒ€ใ‚คใƒณ(.) = Chlorodyne - Wikipedia
  • ใƒ€ใƒ‹ = tick; mite = ๅฃ่จ(ใ ใซ)
  • ใฟใ™ใผใ‚‰ใ—ใ„ = shabby-looking = ่ฆ‹็ช„(ใฟใ™ใผ)ใ‚‰ใ—ใ„
  • ใŠใณใๅฏ„(ใ‚ˆ)ใ›ใ‚‹ = to lure someone = ่ช˜(ใŠใณ)ใๅฏ„(ใ‚ˆ)ใ›ใ‚‹.
  • ็‡ป(ใ„ใถ)ใ™ = to smoke something; to make cover something with smoke. Has Furigana.
  • ๅ›ƒ(ใฏใ‚„)ใ—็ซ‹(ใŸ)ใฆใ‚‹ = to cheer at / to make fun of. Has Furigana in the first half. Also, ๅ›ƒ(ใฏใ‚„)ใ™.
  • ้›จไธŠ(ใ‚ใ‚ใ‚)ใŒใ‚Š = after the rain.
  • ๅฅ(ใ™ใ“)ใ‚„ใ‹ = healthy
  • ๅฎš็Ÿณ(ใ˜ใ‚‡ใ†ใ›ใ) = standard tactic; playing by the book
  • ๅ‡ ๅธณ้ข(ใใกใ‚‡ใ†ใ‚ใ‚“) = precise; meticulous
  • ่‡ณ้›ฃ(ใ—ใชใ‚“) = absolutely most difficult
  • ๅธธๅ‚™่–ฌ(ใ˜ใ‚‡ใ†ใณใ‚„ใ) = household medicine. ๅธธๅ‚™(ใ˜ใ‚‡ใ†ใณ) is emergency reserve.
  • ่บซๅ‹ๆ‰‹(ใฟใŒใฃใฆ) = self-centered; egotistical = ่‡ชๅˆ†ๅ‹ๆ‰‹(ใ˜ใถใ‚“ใ‹ใฃใฆ)
  • ็นŠ็ดฐ(ใ›ใ‚“ใ•ใ„) = delicate/sensitive (feeling)
  • ๅ“ๆ ผ(ใฒใ‚“ใ‹ใ) = dignity
  • ๅš่ญ˜(ใฏใใ—ใ) = extensive knowledge
  • ๅŠชๅŠ›(ใฉใ‚Šใ‚‡ใ)ใฎ่ณœ็‰ฉ(ใŸใพใ‚‚ใฎ) = fruit of oneโ€™s labor
  • ็ฒ—ๆšด(ใใผใ†) = rough and violent manners
  • ่ธ(ใใ‚‹ใถใ—) = ankleโ€™s malleolus. Has Furigana.
  • ๅ †่‚ฅ(ใŸใ„ใฒ) = compost; manure. Has Furigana.
  • ่น„้‰„(ใฆใ„ใฆใค) = horseshoe. Has Furigana.
  • ่‰้ž‹(ใ‚ใ‚‰ใ˜) = straw sandal. Has Furigana.
  • ่‰้ž‹่™ซ(ใ‚ใ‚‰ใ˜ใ‚€ใ—) = wood lice
  • ่™ฑ่ …(ใ—ใ‚‰ใฟใฐใˆ) = a louse fly. From ่™ฑ(ใ—ใ‚‰ใฟ) ย  / ย  ่จ(ใ—ใ‚‰ใฟ) (a louse) + ่ …(ใฏใˆ) (a fly). Has Furigana.
  • ๅˆ‡็ฆฟ(ใใ‚Šใ‹ใ‚€ใ‚) = a children hairstyle in Edo period = ๅˆ‡(ใ)ใ‚Š็ฆฟ(ใ‹ใ‚€ใ‚). Has Furigana.
  • ่่ƒก้บป(ใˆใ”ใพ) = perilla, a herb. ่ƒก้บป(ใ”ใพ) is sesame. Has Furigana.
  • ่Œ…(ใ‹ใ‚„) = grass used for thatching. Has Furigana.
  • ๆฉŸ(ใฏใŸ) = a loom, a machine used to weave clothes. Has Furigana.
  • ้…ฉ้…Š(ใ‚ใ„ใฆใ„) = dead drunk. Read by phonetic components, only that the vocabularyโ€™s sound / Kana has to be known. Has Furigana.
  • ๅ›ฒ็‚‰่ฃ(ใ„ใ‚ใ‚Š) = a sunken fireplace. Has Furigana.
  • ๅดๆบ(ใใฃใ“ใ†) = side ditch; sewer drainage on the sides of a road. Has Furigana.
  • ้บป(ใ‚ใ•) = hemp; linen; flax. No Furigana.
  • ใชใ‚ใ—้ฉ(ใŒใ‚) = tanned leather
  • ่‚Œ็€(ใฏใ ใŽ) = underwear
  • ่ฑช้›จ(ใ”ใ†ใ†) = torrential rain. In this case, ่ฑช(ใ”ใ†) is great in amount; uncommon.
  • ่ญท็ฌฆ(ใ”ใต) = a charm; a talisman; an amulet = ใŠๅฎˆ(ใพใ‚‚)ใ‚Š
  • ้“้™ธ็ฅž(ใฉใ†ใ‚ใใ˜ใ‚“) = travelerโ€™s guardian deity. Second Kanjiโ€™s reading is a little exceptional.
  • ไธ‘(ใ†ใ—)ใฎๅˆป(ใ“ใ)ๅ‚(ใพใ„)ใ‚Š = a cursing ritual, nailing a doll to a tree. ไธ‘(ใ†ใ—)ใฎๅˆป(ใ“ใ) is the time around 2 oโ€™clock in the morning (2 AM).
  • ๆœจ่‹(ใ‚‚ใใ‚ใ†) = wax from a wax tree (ใƒใ‚ผใƒŽใ‚ญ). Second Kanji also used in ่‹็‡ญ(ใ‚ใ†ใใ), and can be used as a vocabulary of its own. Has Furigana.
  • ไผฝ็พ…(ใใ‚ƒใ‚‰) = agarwood, a kind of fragrant wood. Has Furigana.
  • ่ก†้“(ใ—ใ‚…ใฉใ†) = male homosexuality = ่‹ฅ่ก†้“(ใ‚ใ‹ใ—ใ‚…ใฉใ†) = ็”ท่‰ฒ(ใ ใ‚“ใ—ใ‚‡ใ)
  • ๅ›ไนฑ(ใฏใ‚“ใ‚‰ใ‚“) = rebellion; uprising = ๅไนฑ(ใฏใ‚“ใ‚‰ใ‚“)
  • ๅฏต่‡ฃ(ใกใ‚‡ใ†ใ—ใ‚“) = favorite retainer
  • ็‹‚่จ€่ช˜ๆ‹(ใใ‚‡ใ†ใ’ใ‚“ใ‚†ใ†ใ‹ใ„) = staged (fake) kidnapping
  • ่จ€่ชž้“ๆ–ญ(ใ”ใ‚“ใ”ใฉใ†ใ ใ‚“) = unspeakable; outrageous
  • ๆœบไธŠ(ใใ˜ใ‚‡ใ†)ใฎ็ฉบ่ซ–(ใใ†ใ‚ใ‚“) = empty theory, only seen on the table

SFX

• ใ†ใจใ†ใจ = falling into a sleepy doze

Kanji

• ๅฏต(ใกใ‚‡ใ†)ใ˜
    • to favor
    • ใƒใƒงใ‚ฆ
      • ๅฏตๅ…(ใกใ‚‡ใ†ใ˜), ย  ย  ๅฏต่‡ฃ(ใกใ‚‡ใ†ใ—ใ‚“)
      • ๅฏตๆ„›(ใกใ‚‡ใ†ใ‚ใ„), ย  ย  ๆฉๅฏต(ใŠใ‚“ใกใ‚‡ใ†)
18 Likes

February 11th

:snowman: Home post :snowflake:

Aria: the masterpiece volume 3 โ€“ progress report
Yesterday: Read up to page 342, finished chapter 29.
Today: Continued up to page 358.

Only a few dozen pages left. Iโ€™ve just stopped at the part where the โ€˜gangโ€™ โ€“ as in seemingly all characters weโ€™ve met so far โ€“ is starting to gather. Iโ€™ll read the remaining pages tomorrow and pick up Card Captor Sakura again.

โ€“โ€“โ€“โ€“โ€“โ€“โ€“โ€“โ€“โ€“โ€“โ€“โ€“โ€“โ€“โ€“โ€“โ€“โ€“โ€“โ€“โ€“โ€“โ€“โ€“โ€“โ€“โ€“โ€“โ€“โ€“โ€“โ€“โ€“โ€“โ€“โ€“โ€“โ€“โ€“โ€“โ€“โ€“โ€“โ€“โ€“โ€“โ€“โ€“โ€“โ€“โ€“โ€“โ€“โ€“โ€“โ€“โ€“

Word or expression of the day:
ๅฎšๅ“ก - (ใฆใ„ใ„ใ‚“) - capacity (of a bus, boat, theatre, etc.), seating capacityโ€‹

Honourable mention(s):
ๅฑ‹ๅฝข่ˆน - (ใ‚„ใ‹ใŸใถใญ) - houseboat; pleasure boat

18 Likes

:snowman_with_snow: :snowflake: February 11 :snowflake: :snowman_with_snow:
Home Post

Orange :tangerine:

Finished the last chapter of volume 6. Next week start volume 7 which is the last volume. Iโ€™m so excited to finish my first proper read through of a manga series. (I technically extensively read another 7 volume one but considering Iโ€™ve read it in English tons of times, Iโ€™m not sure if I understood the Japanese as much as I almost knew what they would be saying anyway. xD)

I also decided to stop replaying Breath of the Wild. The thing where people say โ€œthey wished they could play/read/watch something for the first time againโ€ really applies. I loved playing BotW the first time. I spent, I think, around 180 hours playing it. I donโ€™t think Iโ€™ve spent that much time playing a game, except for MMORPGs. But while I still enjoyed the gameplay, I just couldnโ€™t get into it.

So glad, the next one is coming in just a few more months.

@pm215 Did you catch the zootr match between Engel and MrMario? Losers bracket round 3. It was epic. I think it might just be the most exciting match so far this tourney. And there have been plenty of good ones. Here is the link to it on youtube. (I know you watch on Twitch but in case someone else wants to watch it too.)

23 Likes

Thanks for the heads-up โ€“ I donโ€™t catch every match and Iโ€™ve been away this weekend and not had time tk wstch stuffโ€ฆ

7 Likes

:bookmark: Home post // Feb 11 :snowman_with_snow: :snowflake:

ใƒป่–ฌๅฑ‹ใฎใฒใจใ‚Šใ”ใจ๏ผ“ (31% โ†’ 45%)

Got to read a fair bit on the train, was distracted a lot by the scenery and landscape outside.

And oh! (not reading related but I have to share this) Train staff made an announcement through the speakers seeking for someone who knew how to speak Japanese and so I went to the cafรฉ coach to see what was going on. Turned out a young Japanese woman had trouble with her luggage and missed her station and thereby her connecting train. The train staff had trouble with language barrier so I tried to help them (I never practice my speaking skills :caught_durtling: unless singing counts). And guess what? โ€ฆI was nihongo jouzuโ€™d (first time!) She seemed genuinely impressed too, Iโ€™m so conflicted! xD At first when I heard her say that I thought to myself โ€œare you kidding meโ€ but the expression on her face made me so happy. It was so bizarre to suddenly be in a situation where all my studying so far has paid off. In my own country too. I donโ€™t think a lot of Japanese people come here especially not to the inaka middle of nowhere during the winter.

Anyway, hopefully she reached her destination okay! :crossed_fingers:

As a warning, it involves bugs and a corpse whose condition was โ€ฆ not fine :sweat_smile: so yeah, gross and morbid. The chapter title was ๅ†ฌไบบๅค่‰ and itโ€™s a pun on the bug ๅ†ฌ่™ซๅค่‰(ใจใ†ใกใ‚…ใ†ใ‹ใใ†) (some nasty looking caterpillars if you ask me :nauseated_face: please do not look them up, youโ€™ll need bleach for your eyes). Story: The main protag is walking around the forest and finds a bunch of rare poisonous mushrooms. Turns out they only grow when thereโ€™s a dead animal or human buried underneath. She knows thereโ€™s a person who has been missing since a year ago and connects the dots. โ€ฆThereโ€™s a reason she requested gutsy (่…นใฎๆฎใ‚ใฃใŸ) people to help her dig up the ground for her.

27 Likes

Day 41
After a long time it was an awesome day for reading. Finally I finished reading the second volume of Kindaichi Shounen. The conclusion was ridiculous full of plot twists and great amounts of drama. At the end all of the people in the village were dead. I think this manga is going a little bit over board with all the drama. Outside of that I am slowly reading through my gigantic pile of magazines.

3096 pages read over 15% of my yearly goal accomplished

17 Likes

Summary post

Day 37: February 6th
Missed :upside_down_face:

Day 38: February 7th
What did I read?: ใƒšใƒณใ‚ฎใƒณใƒปใƒใ‚คใ‚ฆใ‚งใ‚ค :penguin:
How much did I read?: 5 pages
How long did it take me?: 25 minutes

Day 39: February 8th
How much did I read?: 9 pages
How long did it take me?: 34 minutes

Day 40: February 9th
How much did I read?: 4 pages
How long did it take me?: 15 minutes

Day 41: February 10th
Missed :upside_down_face:

Day 42: February 11th
How much did I read?: 10 pages
How long did it take me?: 41 minutes

I havenโ€™t posted in a while :bowing_woman: Work has been busy and honestly I justโ€ฆdidnโ€™t want to talk to people (even in the speaking-into-the-void sort of way), nothing related to anyone or anything in particular, it was just a very โ€œdonโ€™t look at meโ€ sort of week, idk :see_no_evil: I feel like I fall into the trap of โ€œI donโ€™t feel like posting about the thing, so therefore I will just not do the thingโ€ sometimes, but Iโ€™m proud to say that most of the time I avoided that and still read despite not posting. The reading is more important than the posting (is something I am reminding myself and finally actually starting to practice). I might continue to not post as frequently while work is crazy which might be most of the rest of the month, tbd, it did seem to help my overall stress balance this week.

Anyway, enough about that, onto the reading :joy: I would like to say that I am very pleasantly surprised by my speed gains - last week, 10 pages took me 58 minutes and today I read that in 41 minutes? Itโ€™s probably the smoothest novel reading experience Iโ€™ve ever had, Iโ€™m not really sure why that is lol. One thing that helps is that I definitely donโ€™t need to look up as many things as I usually do (there arenโ€™t that many unfamiliar words, and a lot of the unfamiliar words get repeated a lot so I kind of start to remember them). Story-wise, I feel like thereโ€™s a lot of likeโ€ฆfiller? But itโ€™s pleasant filler lmao, basically just Aoyama thinking and exploring with his bestie Uchida. Maybe it feels like โ€œa lot of fillerโ€ because I donโ€™t read that fast still lmao, like if I were reading in โ€œreal timeโ€ maybe it wouldnโ€™t feel like as much. Also I feel like itโ€™s highly possible that the filler-ish parts will come back and be relevant later, the relevancy may just not be apparent yet. But I love how Uchida just randomly reveals that he has a penguin hidden away :joy: Apparently the penguins donโ€™t eat, which is an intriguing detail when combined with the fact that they can be created from soda cans. What are you, penguins :eyes:

This is so awesome :sob: Iโ€™m sure she was super relieved you were there to help :heart:

24 Likes

February 11th!

Today I read a chapter of Orange, and finished Volume 6. I canโ€™t believe there is only one volume left now!

(Home Post)

21 Likes

:performing_arts: Home :it:

February 11th

ใ‚ธใƒงใ‚ธใƒงใฎๅฅ‡ๅฆ™ใชๅ†’้™บ9
50 - 76

I cleared most of my reviews yesterday, but thereโ€™s still not enough time in a day. Iโ€™ll be doing some work from home and chores today, so not sure if Iโ€™ll get through much more either.

21 Likes

Home

Just a bit of ใใฟใฎใพใก ใƒใƒซใƒ†ใ‚ฃใ‚ข today. Hopefully after tomorrow I wonโ€™t be so tired anymore.

20 Likes

February 11 :snowflake: Home Post

Back to BU$TAFELLOWS again! I wasnโ€™t great with time management today so didnโ€™t read as much as I wouldโ€™ve liked, but it was a good time anyway :grin: very exciting, canโ€™t wait to see where it goes :eyes:

22 Likes

Chapter 6 of ้ญ”ๅฅณใฎๆ—…ใ€…completed. Unsurprisingly for the chapter called " ็“ถ่ฉฐใ‚ใฎๅนธใ›", word of the chapter is โ€œๅนธ็ฆโ€.

It also is the last chapter that was entirely spoiled for me by watching reviews of the anime (I never watched anime, only multiple reviews where reviewers liked that Elaina is not suffering from the world-saver syndrome). I know coupld of details from future episodes, but they are vague enough.

20 Likes

home post

12th feb

another day of reading the apollo justice script, this time going over what i did yesterday (the stuff i didnโ€™t read in advance anyway). iโ€™m really enjoying seeing the characterโ€™s speech patterns and punny names, and even four games in iโ€™m still amazed at how different the localisation is. more granblue later too!

22 Likes

I read a lot of manga the last few weeks, but I think itโ€™s time for me to focus on reading books again as the challenge is going to end in a few weeks. I might hit my 3 book goal if I pick up Re:Zero again and read the final stretch, but I just want to read ๅคœใฏ็Ÿญใ—ๆญฉใ‘ใ‚ˆไน™ๅฅณ for right now. I am pretty comfortable now reading it now, so I want to dedicate my time to it now.

22 Likes

:spiral_calendar: Day 42: February 11th :skier:

spacer:tangerine: orange Volume 6 (81% โžจ 100%)

spacer:stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: ใ‹ใ‚‰ใ‹ใ„ไธŠๆ‰‹ใฎ้ซ˜ๆœจใ•ใ‚“ Volume 10 (64% โžจ 74%)

21 Likes

February 12th

:snowman: Home post :snowflake:

Aria: the masterpiece volume 3 โ€“ progress report
Yesterday: Continued up to page 358.
Today: Read up to page 376, finished chapter 30 and volume 3. :tada:
Picked up Card Captor Sakura volume 9, read up to page 18.

And with that cozy chapter, volume 3 ended. The only thing I have to say about chapter 30 is that is seems oddly convenient that all three guys already know each other?! Are there any gatherings or whatnot where all 4 โ€˜elementsโ€™ the Salamanders, Gnomes, Sylphs and Undines get to meet each other โ€“ similar to the meetings(?) Alicia goes to here and there? Or was it just a plot convenience by the author to save on pages that may have been spent on Akatsuki, Al and Woody getting to know each other resulting in making the chapter too long for serial publishing? Iโ€™m leaning towards the latter.

I admittedly forgot what happened in the chapter from where I stopped reading Sakura before picking it up again and Iโ€™m too lazy to look it up. Given that this chapter starts with White day, Iโ€™d assume that the last chapter was the Valentineโ€™s day one. :thinking:

Repiles

@Zakarius
I almost missed it โ€“ congrats on finishing the 1st volume of ๆ–ฐๆ›ธๅคช้–ฃ่จ˜! :tada: :grinning:

@Redglare
Sounds like you had quite the impactful incident that day. Iโ€™m glad that your studies payed off and you managed to help that person โ€ฆand that you have gotten your first ๆ—ฅๆœฌ่ชžใฏไธŠๆ‰‹ใงใ™ โ€“ though it seems to have been the good kind based on your description. :wink:

โ€“โ€“โ€“โ€“โ€“โ€“โ€“โ€“โ€“โ€“โ€“โ€“โ€“โ€“โ€“โ€“โ€“โ€“โ€“โ€“โ€“โ€“โ€“โ€“โ€“โ€“โ€“โ€“โ€“โ€“โ€“โ€“โ€“โ€“โ€“โ€“โ€“โ€“โ€“โ€“โ€“โ€“โ€“โ€“โ€“โ€“โ€“โ€“โ€“โ€“โ€“โ€“โ€“โ€“โ€“โ€“โ€“โ€“

Word or expression of the day:
ๆฐ—ใŒๅˆฉใ - (ใใŒใใ) - to be thoughtful, to be tactful, to be sensitiveโ€‹

21 Likes