📚📚 Read every day challenge - Winter 2023 ☃❄

:snowflake: :snowman: Home Post :snowman: :snowflake:

January 12th.

What: チーズスイートホーム(1)
Pages: 41
Time: 15 minutes.

Today was way better than yesterday. I’m not sure if it’s because I made the conscious decision to stretch every hour while at work, or because I got paid today lol. The glorious reward that is a salary… I’m ordering some manga asap!!! I need to run now because I’m heading to the pool, but I read some more チーズスイートホーム and it’s the perfect reading material for the end of the work week. My brain is sloooowly checking out, so it’s a good thing tomorrow is Friday.

Hope everyone’s reading is going well!!!

26 Likes

January 12th progress update :snowflake:
Home Post

Reading よつばと! Vol. 1

Another long day of work but hey at least I finished the chapter so I’m currently at page 142. I’m enjoying the manga a lot so far, pretty fun read. Had no problems with understanding today’s part so it was a really pleasant reading experience. Tomorrow I plan to read more :slight_smile:

26 Likes

:snowflake: Day 12, 12th of January :snowflake:

:open_book: Back to my Home Post

Let’s try some more stories. This one is about delicious carrot cupcakes. Also first time I became aware of the Kanji for egg; what a weird shape that is 卵.

Next it seems we have some more pirates. It’s cute how even the parrot gets a drink at the bar.

25 Likes

:bookmark: Home post // Jan 12 :snowman_with_snow: :snowflake:

・ 本好きの下克上 16 (52% → 55%)

I was gonna read more, but my eyes said nope :durtle_megane:

30 Likes

:snowflake: :red_gift_envelope: 1月12日 :red_gift_envelope: :snowflake: (Home Post Link)

Read:

• ホリミヤ ch 67, 68, 69
  • マジーク・ツリーハウス pg 86 → 92 - had the interesting experience of seeing a kanji i’ve only seen used in a name get used as a normal noun today for the first time. I’ve seen 堀 more times than I can count at this point, but always 堀さん and never 城の堀 :laughing:

the phrase 耳をすます also showed up in the chapter today and I was like “!!! i know you !!! i’ve seen you !!!”

Good Words

ホリミヤ
家鳴り「かなり」ー rattling of a house
染まる「そまる」ー to be tainted
拉致「らち」ー taking captive, kidnapping
内緒「ないしょ」ー secrecy, confidentiality
黙る「だまる」ー to stay silent, to say nothing
態度「だいと」ー attitude, manner
文庫本「ぶんこぼん」ー small format paperback book (like real small)

マジーク・ツリーハウス
兜「かぶと」ー helmet of a warrior
鎧「よろい」ー armor
倉庫「そうこ」ー storehouse
城壁「じょうへき」ー castle walls
潜る「くぐる」ー to pass under, to go under
堀「ほり」ー moat

27 Likes

January 12th (Day 12) :snowflake: :cat2:

Home post :books:

Brief update today: I’ve completed chapters 11, 12, and 13 of チュベローズで待ってる AGE22. Bookwalker claims I’ve read 69% of the book.

26 Likes

Very fair! If you’re looking to save a little more, BOOKOFF might be good for SBR. I think the digital price and BOOKOFF price for JJL might be the same (400-450 yen/volume)

7 Likes

:cup_with_straw: Home :mexico:

January 12th

ジョジョの奇妙な冒険6
17 - 26

The sandman sent me to collections and I ended up going to bed really early. Here’s to hoping that I’ll be well rested today…

25 Likes

January 12th!

Today I started reading Volume 7 of Mitsuboshi Colors, reading Chapter 53. It was a fun chapter :slight_smile:

(Home Post)

25 Likes

The kindle price isn’t too different, so I have been opting for that. I figure SBR has high enough acclaim I am not sweating owning it digitally. If its a series I am just trying out or the art is so good I need it physically I usually just go the BookOff route.

11 Likes

Summary post

Day 11: January 11th
What did I read?: おでかけ子ザメ2
How much did I read?: 8 pages
How long did it take me?: 3 min

I didn’t post yesterday, but I did do a tiny read of tiny shark. It was as cute as ever - watch as tiny shark goes to a shop and finds a tiny Hawaiian shirt with sharks on it :pleading_face:

Day 12: January 12th
What did I read?: おでかけ子ザメ2
How much did I read?: 12 pages
How long did it take me?: 3 min

More tiny shark :pleading_face: I swear I could post every single panel of this manga, it’s so cute

Tiny shark made a leaf boat for his little friends :pleading_face:

And went to a puppet show and made friends with the puppets afterward :pleading_face:

Replies

Ok I’ve been glossing over mentions of this one around the forums but your post made me actually go read the synopsis and now I’m intrigued :eyes: Confession, I tend not to pay much attention to the “real” books that get mentioned around here, because I low-key assume I don’t have the skills to read them anyway, which is probably not, like…the best mindset but it’s also not wrong Not that I have time or energy to attempt it right now, as evidenced by my barely countable reads the past few days, but :joy: Putting it on the list

This sounds like top quality news content :pleading_face: I hope it at least came with a cute picture to ease the pain of trying to read it!

29 Likes

Yay! Welcome to the dark side! :wink: I might add that I wanted with every fiber of my being to not want to read it and not like it, but it’s primary book I look forward to reading every day now.

And it’s looking more and more of being my first completed novel (not counting children’s books), and I have mixed feelings about that because 1) it looks like a “trashy” book like the equivalent of a chic flick, 2) and if someone even happened to be familiar with the title, it’s not exactly the kind of thing to admit to reading to other (Japanese) people without them questioning what kind of person you are lol. Basically it’s hard to make conversation with outside the forum, and I definitely couldn’t talk about it at my schools if I don’t want to be fired :upside_down_face:

For this book, I look up practically every word I don’t know, but I’ve decided not to push too hard to understand details if I don’t quite get it. I’ve found the discussions in the book club to help fill in the missing gaps, so if I don’t get everything the first time, everyone can be a big help!

I think you will be surprised by how much you understand, and if you can just get the major points in every chapter, I think that’s enough! Since the chapters are pretty short, it’s a lot easier to reflect on the events of each chapter! I say read the first chapter and see if it will suck you in right away.

I didn’t think I had the time to read a chapter a day, but I find that I make time to read it because it’s that intriguing…

14 Likes

:snowman_with_snow: :snowflake: January 11-12 :snowflake: :snowman_with_snow:
Home Post

NHK easy :newspaper_roll:
Short stories and novel reading in English :books:

Yesterday was only English reading but to not have only that today too, I read 3 NHK easy articles. Too tired to read the regular version.

25 Likes

January 12th
What did I read?: にわにはににん
How much did I read?: 27 pages
(Finished 4th Story: にわにはににん Started 5th Story: 庭師の休日 )
How long did it take me?: 2 h 32 min

I started reading earlier than usual today, and ended up reading for quite awhile, which was nice, especially after missing two days this week. It might be better to aim for something a bit more steady and regular, though. But anyways, today I finished the 4th story, and a two chapter one at that! :tada: I liked it quite a lot! Not everything was explained in it, but it was a lot less vague than the other stories so far, with a bit more of an overarching plot. Which, I guess is a lot easier to achieve when you have 2 chapters’ worth of pages to work with. And the cover art hits different, now that I know who the characters are and what their story is. :face_holding_back_tears:

The 5th story is pretty intriguing too~ We have the gardener from the prologue, and the appearance of a water orb similar to the one in the 1st story. The gardener also mentions the garden from the 4th story, which somewhat confuses me since he doesn’t look like any of the characters in that story? I mean, it could be a lot later than that story or before, so people could look different, but it isn’t obvious who it’s supposed to be, if anyone.

25 Likes

Finished sub chapter 1 of Chapter 3, no real new developments story wise. Just characters kind of dropping hints at things alluded from before, which is kind of standard. There were some like “oh snap” moments in chapter 2 but I am eagerly awaiting the shoe to drop on this story. The first two chapters were everything I want from 青ブタ but now I am concerned the author is doing that thing where he gets going on a lot of needless details about everyday things that don’t have anything to do with what’s happening. He hasn’t done that yet this volume, but I am concerned it’s gonna happen. One more subchapter for the day, I am pretty tired -_- hopefully I can muster enough energy to finish on the way home.

22 Likes

1月12日

。*☆ My Home Page 。*☆

I’m so glad everyone is working and reading through the slump that seems to have hit a lot of us this week. Not gonna lie, I felt better when I saw I wasn’t the only one struggling to be productive these last few days.

Thanks for 頑張ります-ing and inspiring me to keep going, too. I hope we can all feel better now that the weekend is almost here!

Here’s a brief weekly wrap-up and update from me:

What I finished reading this week

• クリスタルハンターズ v3
  • クリスタルハンターズ v4
  • Mo Dao Zu Shi v2 (English translation)

What I read today

• 月刊少女野崎くん v1 p. 23-32 and クリスタルハンターズ v5 p. 65-79

New words

• チャリ:bicycle
  • 華やか 「はなやか」: showy, brilliant, gorgeous
  • わがまま : selfish, egoist
  • 攻撃 「こうげき」: attack, assault
28 Likes

:books: :snowflake: softlyraining’s snowy book stack :snowboarder: :open_book:

January 11th ・ January 12th

:red_square: 授乳 (25% → 29%)

Switched books out! Small reads for both days, but progress is progress. I think this is the third time I’ve started reading the current short story (コイビト) in this collection…That being said, I made it farther than the last two attempts, so good job me! The story’s piqued my interest, so it may be a while before I go back to 冬物語.

I came across the word for pores today, and I don’t know whether to be amused or weirded out (I’m probably a mix of both): 毛穴. “Hair holes”?! I mean, I get it, but…maybe I don’t want to picture it? :see_no_evil:

25 Likes

:spiral_calendar: Day 12: January 12th :evergreen_tree:

spacer:stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: からかい上手の高木さん Volume 10 (33% ➨ 43%)

👧 からかい上手の(元)高木さん Volume 10 (45% ➨ 52%)

Someone went a little overboard on making sure their cameo characters are recognizable.

Even after ten years, they’re still wearing the same style from their childhood.

25 Likes

January 12 :snowflake: Home Post

More 地縛少年花子くん today! I finished off the second volume and started on the third; it continues to be great time. Starting to meet more characters I remember vaguely from the first time around :eyes: exciting stuff!

25 Likes
チュベローズで待ってる reply

Why do you say it looks like a trashy book? Is it the cover that makes you say so? The fact that it was written by an idol? Or the content?
And why would it get you fired to read it? (I’m realizing you’re probably exaggerating for comedic effect, but still). I’ve read nearly to the end of the first book, and while it’s not Akutagawa prize-worthy literature, I would certainly not go as far as calling it “trashy”, nor is there something in the content that would make me feel embarrassed about reading it.
The fact that the author is an idol bothered me a little too, but he’s written quite a lot actually, and seems to read quite a lot too, judging by an interview I watched, so it doesn’t look like he’s just making a quick money grab exploiting his publicity.
Anyway, just honestly curious :slight_smile:

12 Likes