๐Ÿ“š๐Ÿ“š Read every day challenge - Winter 2023 โ˜ƒโ„

Agreed. That is what I understand 4koma to be. Since I havenโ€™t read any, I donโ€™t know if there is variance. But Iโ€™m guessing the reviewer was just wrong. :woman_shrugging:

9 Likes

home post

28th feb

i kind of wish i was ending this with a bang and not a whimper but ah well, ่Ÿฒๅธซ threw a tricky chapter at me :joy: lots of fishing vocab with strange readings, some (dated) dialectal stuff, the usual. i took a short break halfway through (even though it was a short chapter to begin with) and that helped, so iโ€™ll go back through it later i think, maybe with the english translation.

words that stood out: ๅ›€ใ‚‹ (ใ•ใˆใšใ‚‹, to sing, to chirp), ๆตทๅฃซ (ใ‚ใพ, male seashell diver), ้คŠๆฎ– (ใ‚ˆใ†ใ—ใ‚‡ใ, aquaculture, cultivation)

and thatโ€™s the end of the challenge! iโ€™m gonna miss making these posts i think. iโ€™m pretty proud of myself for getting through five (and a bit) volumes of ่Ÿฒๅธซ, itโ€™s definitely above my level but itโ€™s definitely gotten easier as the weeks have gone on thanks to pushing through with it!

congrats to everyone for getting to the end (regardless of how many days you did) and iโ€™m looking forward to the next one :slight_smile:

i was also very wary after the first chapter or so but it does get better! especially once the side characters get some breathing room. thereโ€™s definitely things it could handle better, but i was having a much better time by the end of the volume than when i started!

19 Likes

Thatโ€™s very promising! Thank you for sharing

6 Likes

:raccoon: :books: The Tanuki Kotatsu Reading Den :snowflake: :raccoon:

February 28th
ๆ–ฐๆ›ธๅคช้–ฃ่จ˜ progress: 14.02% // Volume II: 58.88% :zzz:

Even Oda Nobunaga looks forward to nap time

Words found under the kotatsu

ๅคขๆž•ใ€Œใ‚†ใ‚ใพใใ‚‰ใ€ใƒผ At the bedside where one dreams

Character Name List

Probably some spoilers, but this is a historic novel, so can spoilers really exist for things that have (for the most part) actually happened :thinking:

Volume I: 1535 - 1555

ๆ—ฅๅ‰ใ€Œใฒใ‚ˆใ—ใ€- Hideyoshi (as child)
Nicknames: ็Œฟใ€Œใ•ใ‚‹ใ€/ ้‡ๅฃฒใ‚Šใ€Œใฏใ‚Šใ†ใ‚Šใ€
Name serving Nobunaga: ๆœจไธ‹ ่—คๅ‰้ƒŽใ€Œใใฎใ—ใŸ ใจใ†ใใกใ‚ใ†ใ€

Family
ๆœจไธ‹ๅผฅๅณ่ก›้–€ใ€Œใใฎใ—ใŸ ใ‚„ใˆใ‚‚ใ‚“ใ€- Father
โ€“ โ€“ ไน™่‹ฅใ€ŒใŠใจใ‚ใ‹ใ€- Old friend (serves under ็น”็”ฐ)
็ญ‘้˜ฟๅผฅใ€Œใกใใ‚ใฟใ€ใƒผ Step-father
ๅคงๆ”ฟๆ‰€ใ€ŒใŠใŠใพใ‚“ใฉใ“ใ‚ใ€// also ใŠๅฅˆๅŠ ใ€ŒใŠใชใ‹ใ€ใƒผ Mother
ใŠใคใฟ - Older sister
ๅฐ็ซนใ€Œใ“ใกใใ€- Baby brother
ๅŠ ่—คๆธ…ๆญฃใ€Œใ‹ใจใ† ใใ‚ˆใพใ•ใ€// also ๅผพๆญฃใ€Œใ ใ‚“ใ˜ใ‚‡ใ†ใ€- Ojisan (only distantly related (before marriage))
โ€“ Married to: ใŠใˆใค (sister of ใŠๅฅˆๅŠ )

Friends & Acquaintances
ไป็Ž‹ใ€ŒใซใŠใ†ใ€- Big kid friend
ๆ–ผ็ฆใ€ŒใŠใตใใ€(Nickname - full name: ็ฆๅคช้ƒŽใ€ŒใตใใŸใ‚ใ€) // ๆฅŠๆ™ฏ็ฆใ€Œใ‚ˆใ†ใ‘ใ„ใตใใ€(Chinese name/birth name) - Timid kid friend (older than Hideyoshi)
โ€“ ไบ”้ƒŽๅคงๅคซ ใ€Œใ”ใ‚ ใ ใ‚†ใ†ใ€// ็ฅฅ็‘žใ€Œใ—ใ‚‡ใ†ใšใ„ใ€(Chinese name) - Father
โ€“ ๆขจ็ดใ€Œใ‚Šใใ‚“ใ€- Mother
ๆจๆฌก้ƒŽใ€Œใ™ใฆใ˜ใ‚ใ†ใ€- Previous servant to ไบ”้ƒŽ, later the adoptive father of ๆ–ผ็ฆ, and owner of a tea ware shop - and employer of, and master to, Hideyoshi

Hachisuka Clan
่œ‚้ ˆ่ณ€ๅฐๅ…ญใ€Œใฏใกใ™ใ‹ ใ“ใ‚ใใ€(also ๆญฃๅ‹ ใ€Œใพใ•ใ‹ใคใ€) - Head of the Hachisuka clan
โ€“ ไธƒๅ†…ใ€Œใชใชใ„ใ€- Younger brother
โ€“ Married to ๆพๆณขใ€Œใพใคใชใฟใ€
โ€“ โ€“ ไบ€ไธ€ใ€Œใ‹ใ‚ใ„ใกใ€- Son

Retainers:
็จฒ็”ฐๅคง็‚ŠๅŠฉใ€Œใ„ใชใ  ใŠใŠใ„ใฎใ™ใ‘]
้’ๅฑฑๆ–ฐไธƒใ€Œใ‚ใŠใ‚„ใพ ใ—ใ‚“ใ—ใกใ€
้•ทไบ•ๅŠไน‹ไธžใ€ŒใชใŒใ„ ใฏใ‚“ใฎใ˜ใ‚‡ใ†ใ€
ๆพๅŽŸๅ†…ๅŒ ใ€Œใพใคใฐใ‚‰ ใŸใใฟใ€

Others:
ๅ›ฝๅ‰ใ€Œใใซใ‚ˆใ—ใ€- Gunsmith/blacksmith
ๆธก่พบๅคฉ่”ตใ€Œใ‚ใŸใชใน ใฆใ‚“ใžใ†ใ€- Deserter - Nobushi (Nephew to Koroku)
้›ฃๆณขๅ†…่จ˜ใ€Œใชใ‚“ใฐ ใชใ„ใใ€- Spy disguised as a Komuso
ไป็”ฐๅฝฆๅใ€ŒใซใฃใŸ ใฒใ“ใ˜ใ‚…ใ†ใ€- Subordinate

(่œ‚้ ˆ่ณ€ๆญฃๅˆฉใ€Œใฏใกใ™ใ‹ ใพใ•ใจใ—ใ€- previous head of the Hachisuka clan)

Saito Clan
((questionable) Alliance with the Hachisuka clan)
ๆ–Ž่—ค ้“ไธ‰ใ€Œใ•ใ„ใจใ† ใฉใ†ใ•ใ‚“ใ€- Head of the Saito clan
โ€“ ๆ–Ž่—ค็พฉ้พใ€Œใ•ใ„ใจใ† ใ‚ˆใ—ใŸใคใ€(also: ้ซ˜ๆ”ฟใ€ŒใŸใ‹ใพใ•ใ€) - Son

ๆ˜Žๆ™บ ๅ…‰็ง€ใ€Œใ‚ใ‘ใก ใฟใคใฒใงใ€(common name: ๅๅ…ต่ก›ใ€Œใ˜ใ‚…ใ†ในใ„ใ€) - serves under Dosan
โ€“ ๅˆๅธ‚ใ€ŒใพใŸใ„ใกใ€- Underling / foot soldier

ๅ €็”ฐ ้“็ฉบใ€ŒใปใฃใŸ ใฉใ†ใใ†ใ€- Chief retainer
ๅผฅๅนณๆฒปๅ…‰ๆ˜ฅใ€Œใ‚„ใธใ„ใ˜ ใฟใคใฏใ‚‰ใ€- Retainer (cousin to Jyubei)
โ€“ ๆ˜Žๆ™บๅ…‰ๅฎ‰ใ€Œใ‚ใ‘ใก ใฟใคใ‚„ใ™ใ€- Father
ๆ˜ฅๆ—ฅไธนๅพŒใ€Œใ‹ใ™ใŒ ใŸใ‚“ใ”ใ€- Military commander

Oda Clan
็น”็”ฐ ไฟก้•ทใ€ŒใŠใ  ใฎใถใชใŒใ€- Leader of the Oda clan (Married to the daughter of Saito Dosan)
โ€“ ๅฏๆœˆใ€Œใ†ใฅใใ€- Nobunagaโ€™s faithful, old horse :horse:
โ€“ ็น”็”ฐไฟก็ง€ใ€ŒใŠใ  ใฎใถใฒใงใ€- Father and previous leader of the Oda clan
โ€“ โ€“ ็น”็”ฐไธŽไธ‰้ƒŽใ€ŒใŠใ  ใ‚ˆใ•ใถใ‚ใ†ใ€- Younger brother
โ€“ โ€“ ็น”็”ฐไฟก่กŒใ€ŒใŠใ  ใฎใถใ‹ใคใ€(Other name: ไฟกๆˆใ€Œใฎใถใชใ‚Šใ€) - Son (half-brother to Nobunaga (different mother))

Retainers (Under Nobuhide rule):
ๅนณๆ‰‹ ๆ”ฟ็ง€ใ€Œใฒใ‚‰ใฆ ใพใ•ใฒใงใ€
โ€“ ไบ”้ƒŽๅทฆ่ก›้–€ใ€Œใ”ใ‚ใ†ใ–ใˆใ‚‚ใ‚“ใ€(nickname: ไบ”้ƒŽๅทฆใ€Œใ”ใ‚ใ†ใ–ใ€) - First son
โ€“ ็›ฃ็‰ฉใ€Œใ‘ใ‚“ใ‚‚ใคใ€- Second son
โ€“ ็”šๅทฆ่ก›้–€ใ€Œใ˜ใ‚“ใ–ใˆใ‚‚ใ‚“ใ€- Third son
โ€“ ้›จๅฎฎๅ‹˜่งฃ็”ฑใ€Œใ‚ใ‚ใฟใ‚„ ใ‹ใ’ใ‚†ใ€- Servant
ๆž— ็ง€่ฒžใ€Œใฏใ‚„ใ— ใฒใงใ•ใ ใ€(common name: ๆ–ฐไบ”้ƒŽใ€Œใ—ใ‚“ใ”ใ‚ใ€/ nickname: ไฝๆธกใ€Œใ•ใฉใ†ใ€) (served under Nobunaga too)
โ€“ ็พŽไฝœๅฎˆใ€Œใฟใพใ•ใ‹ใฎใ‹ใฟใ€- Younger brother
้’ๅฑฑ ไฟกๆ˜Œใ€Œใ‚ใŠใ‚„ใพ ใฎใถใพใ•ใ€(common name: ไธŽไธ‰ๅณ่ก›้–€ใ€Œใ‚ˆใใ†ใˆใ‚‚ใ‚“ใ€)
ๅ†…่—ค ๅ‹ไป‹ใ€Œใชใ„ใจใ† ใ—ใ‚‡ใ†ใ™ใ‘ / ใ‹ใคใ™ใ‘ใ€

Retainers (Under Nobunaga rule):
ๆŸด็”ฐๅ‹ๅฎถใ€Œใ—ใฐใŸ ใ‹ใคใ„ใˆใ€(Nickname: ๆจฉๅ…ญใ€Œใ”ใ‚“ใ‚ใใ€)

Others:
ๅธ‚ๅทๅคงไป‹ใ€Œใ„ใกใ‹ใ‚ ใ ใ„ใ™ใ‘ใ€- Archery master/instructor
ๅนณ็”ฐไธ‰ไฝใ€Œใฒใ‚‰ใŸ ใ•ใ‚“ใฟใ€- Master of military strategy
ๆต…้‡Žๅˆๅณ่ก›้–€ใ€Œใ‚ใ•ใฎ ใพใŸใˆใ‚‚ใ‚“ใ€- Military commander
โ€“ ๅฏงๅญใ€Œใญใญใ€- Daughter
ใŒใ‚“ใพใ - Former worker/servant, friend of Hideyoshi

Shiba Clan
ๆ–ฏๆณข็พฉ็ตฑใ€Œใ—ใฐ ใ‚ˆใ—ใ‚€ใญใ€- Head of the Shiba clan, at Kiyosu castle
โ€“ ๆ–ฏๆณข็พฉ้Š€ใ€Œใ—ใฐ ใ‚ˆใ—ใ‹ใญใ€- Son

Imagawa Clan
ไปŠๅท็พฉๅ…ƒใ€Œใ„ใพใŒใ‚ ใ‚ˆใ—ใ‚‚ใจใ€- Daimyo

Retainers:
ๆพไธ‹ไน‹็ถฑใ€Œใพใคใ—ใŸ ใ‚†ใใคใชใ€(common name: ๅŠ ๅ…ต่ก›ใ€Œใ‹ใธใ„ใ€)
้ฃฏๅฐพ่ฑŠๅ‰ใ€Œใ„ใฎใŠ ใถใœใ‚“ใ€
ๅคš่ณ€่ƒฝๅ…ซ้ƒŽใ€ŒใŸใŒใฎใ† ใฏใ—ใ‚ใ†ใ€(nickname: ่ƒฝๅ…ซใ€Œใฎใ†ใฏใกใ€)

Takeda Clan
ๅคช้ƒŽ็พฉไฟกใ€ŒใŸใ‘ใ  ใ‚ˆใ—ใฎใถใ€- Commander
(Married to the daughter of Imagawa Yoshimoto to tie the clans)

Non-affiliated
ไธŠๆณ‰ ไฟก็ถฑใ€Œใ‹ใฟใ„ใšใฟ ใฎใถใคใชใ€(also: ไธŠๆณ‰ ไผŠๅ‹ขๅฎˆใ€Œใ‹ใฟใ„ใšใฟ ใ„ใ›ใฎใ‹ใฟใ€) - Founder of the ๆ–ฐ้™ฐๆตใ€Œใ—ใ‚“ใ‹ใ’ใ‚Šใ‚…ใ†ใ€school of Kenjutsu
โ€“ ็–‹็”ฐๅฐไผฏใ€ŒใฒใใŸ ใ—ใ‚‡ใ†ใฏใใ€- Disciple
โ€“ ็ฅžๅพŒไบ”ๅ…ญ้ƒŽใ€Œใ‹ใ‚“ใ” ใ”ใ‚ใใ‚ใ†ใ€- Disciple

ๅกšๅŽŸ ๅœไผใ€Œใคใ‹ใฏใ‚‰ ใผใใงใ‚“ใ€- Kensei; legendary swordsman

Historical People
  • ้˜ฟๅ€ไปฒ้บปๅ‘‚ใ€Œใ‚ใน ใฎ ใชใ‹ใพใ‚ใ€ใƒผ Japanese scholar & poet (700s)

• ็™ฝๆฅฝๅคฉใ€Œใฏใ ใใ‚‡ใ„ใ€ใƒผ Chinese poet (Bai Juyi / Bo Juyi) also known as: ็™ฝๆฅฝๅคฉใ€Œใฏใ ใ‚‰ใใฆใ‚“ใ€in Japan. (Late 700s)

• ้“ๅ…ƒใ€Œใฉใ†ใ’ใ‚“ใ€(or ้“ๅ…ƒ็ฆ…ๅธซใ€Œใฉใ†ใ’ใ‚“ ใœใ‚“ใ˜ใ€ใƒผ Japanese Buddhist Priest, writer & poet (also known as ๆ „่ฅฟ็ฆ…ๅธซใ€Œใˆใ„ใ•ใ„ ใœใ‚“ใ˜ใ€) (Early / mid 1200s)

• ็ฉบๆตทใ€Œใใ†ใ‹ใ„ใ€ใƒผ The one and only Kukai or Kobo Daishi - a Buddhist monk. Posthumously given the title of: ๅผ˜ๆณ•ๅคงๅธซใ€Œใ“ใ†ใผใ† ใ ใ„ใ—ใ€born as: ไฝไผฏ ็œž้ญšใ€Œใ•ใˆใ ใฎ ใพใŠใ€(late 700s / early 800s)

• ๆบ้ ผๆ”ฟใ€Œใฟใชใ‚‚ใจ ใฎ ใ‚ˆใ‚Šใพใ•ใ€ใƒผ Prominent poet and warrior (1100s)

• ๅนณ ้‡็››ใ€ŒใŸใ„ใ‚‰ ใฎ ใ—ใ’ใ‚‚ใ‚Šใ€ใƒผ Military commander and court noble, claimed to be an ancestor of Oda Nobunaga (Mid-1100s)

• ๆก“ๆญฆ๏ผˆๅคฉ็š‡๏ผ‰ใ€Œใ‹ใ‚“ใ‚€๏ผˆใฆใ‚“ใฎใ†๏ผ‰ใ€ใƒผ 50th Emperor of Japan, claimed to be an ancestor of Taira no Shigemori, thus ancestor to Oda Nobunaga (Mid-Late 700s)

Volume II: 1555 - 15??
(currently 1561)

Oda Clan
็น”็”ฐ ไฟก้•ทใ€ŒใŠใ  ใฎใถใชใŒใ€- Head of the Oda clan
โ€“ ็น”็”ฐ ไฟกๅบƒใ€ŒใŠใ  ใฎใถใฒใ‚ใ€- Older brother
โ€“ ็น”็”ฐ ไฟก่กŒใ€ŒใŠใ  ใฎใถใ‚†ใใ€(also: ไฟกๅ‹ใ€Œใฎใถใ‹ใคใ€) - Younger brother
โ€“ ็น”็”ฐ ใŠๅธ‚ใ€ŒใŠใ  ใŠใ„ใกใ€- Younger sister

ๆœจไธ‹ ่—คๅ‰้ƒŽใ€Œใใฎใ—ใŸ ใจใ†ใใกใ‚ใ†ใ€- Hideyoshi
โ€“ ๆœจ่‚ก ๆจฉไธ‰ใ€ŒใใพใŸ ใ”ใ‚“ใžใ†ใ€(Nickname: ใ”ใ‚“ใž) - Servant

Military Commanders
ๆต…้‡Ž ๅˆๅณ่ก›้–€ใ€Œใ‚ใ•ใฎ ใพใŸใˆใ‚‚ใ‚“ใ€
โ€“ ๅฏงๅญใ€Œใญใญใ€- Daughter
ๆŸด็”ฐ ๅ‹ๅฎถใ€Œใ—ใฐใŸ ใ‹ใคใ„ใˆใ€(nickname: ๆจฉๅ…ญใ€Œใ”ใ‚“ใ‚ใใ€)
ๆฑ ็”ฐ ๆ’่ˆˆใ€Œใ„ใ‘ใ  ใคใญใŠใใ€(Common name: ๅ‹ไธ‰้ƒŽใ€Œใ‹ใคใ•ใถใ‚ใ†ใ€)
ๆž— ็ง€่ฒžใ€Œใฏใ‚„ใ— ใฒใงใ•ใ ใ€
ไฝไน…้–“ ็››้‡ใ€Œใ•ใใพ ใ‚‚ใ‚Šใ—ใ’ใ€(also know as: ๅคงๅญฆใ€Œใ ใ„ใŒใใ€)
ๅฑฑๅฃ ๅฎˆๅญใ€Œใ‚„ใพใใก ใ‚‚ใ‚ŠใŸใ‹ใ€(also known as: ๆตท่€ไธžใ€Œใˆใณใฎใ˜ใ‚‡ใ†ใ€)
ๆŸ˜ๆค ๅ‹้ก•ใ€Œใคใ’ ใจใ‚‚ใ‚ใใ€(also known as: ็Ž„่•ƒใ€Œใ’ใ‚“ใฐใ€)
ๆขถๅท ไธ€็ง€ใ€Œใ‹ใ˜ใ‹ใ‚ ใ‹ใšใฒใงใ€
ไฝไน…้–“ ไฟก่พฐใ€Œใ•ใใพ ใฎใถใจใใ€

Retainers
ไฝไน…้–“ ็››ๆ”ฟใ€Œใ•ใใพ ใ‚‚ใ‚Šใพใ•ใ€(nickname: ็Ž„่•ƒใ€Œใ’ใ‚“ใฐใ€)
ๆฃฎ ๅฏๆˆใ€Œใ‚‚ใ‚Š ใ‚ˆใ—ใชใ‚Šใ€(Other name: ไธ‰ๅทฆ่ก›้–€ใ€Œใ•ใ‚“ใ–ใˆใ‚‚ใ‚“ใ€)
โ€“ ่˜ญไธธใ€Œใ‚‰ใ‚“ใพใ‚‹ใ€- Son

Others
ๅฑฑๆทต ๅณ่ฟ‘ใ€Œใ‚„ใพใถใก ใ†ใ“ใ‚“ใ€- Magistrate
โ€“ ๅฑฑๆทต ็พฉ้ ใ€Œใ‚„ใพใถใก ใ‚ˆใ—ใจใŠใ€- Father (Chief Vassal)
ๆˆธ้ƒจ ๆ–ฐๅทฆ่ก›้–€ใ€Œใจใน ใ—ใ‚“ใ–ใˆใ‚‚ใ‚“ใ€- Castle commander
ๆฐด้‡Ž ๅธฏๅˆ€ใ€Œใฟใšใฎ ใŸใฆใ‚ใใ€- Castle Guard
ๆœ้ƒจ ไธ€ๅฟ ใ€Œใฏใฃใจใ‚Š ใ‹ใšใŸใ ใ€(also called: ๅฐๅนณๅคชใ€Œใ“ใธใ„ใŸใ€) - Samurai

Maeda Clan
Military Commanders
ๅ‰็”ฐ ๅˆฉๅฎถใ€Œใพใˆใ  ใจใ—ใ„ใˆใ€(childhood name: ็Šฌๅƒไปฃใ€Œใ„ใฌใกใ‚ˆใ€)
โ€“ ไฝ่„‡ ่‰ฏไน‹ใ€Œใ•ใ‚ใ ใ‚ˆใ—ใ‚†ใ‘ใ€(also known as: ่—คๅ…ซ้ƒŽใ€Œใจใ†ใฏใกใ‚ใ†ใ€) - Younger brother

Saito Clan
Military Commanders
ๆ–Ž่—ค ็พฉ้พใ€Œใ•ใ„ใจใ† ใ‚ˆใ—ใ•ใคใ€(also: ้ซ˜ๆ”ฟใ€ŒใŸใ‹ใพใ•ใ€)
โ€“ ๅญซๅ››้ƒŽใ€Œใพใ”ใ—ใ‚ใ†ใ€- Brother
โ€“ ๅ–œๅนณๆฌกใ€Œใใธใ„ใ˜ใ€- Brother
โ€“ ๆ–Ž่—ค ้“ไธ‰ใ€Œใ•ใ„ใจใ† ใฉใ†ใ•ใ‚“ใ€- Father

Akechi Clan
Military Commanders
ๆ˜Žๆ™บ ๅ…‰็ง€ใ€Œใ‚ใ‘ใก ใฟใคใฒใงใ€(common name: ๅๅ…ต่ก›ใ€Œใ˜ใ‚…ใ†ในใ„ใ€)
ๆ˜Žๆ™บ ๅ…‰ๅฎ‰ใ€Œใ‚ใ‘ใก ใฟใคใ‚„ใ™ใ€- Also the adoptive father of Jyubei
โ€“ ๆ˜Žๆ™บ ็ง€ๆบ€ใ€Œใ‚ใ‘ใก ใฒใงใฟใคใ€- Son, and retainer to Jyubei

Imagawa Clan
ไปŠๅท ็พฉๅ…ƒใ€Œใ„ใพใŒใ‚ ใ‚ˆใ—ใ‚‚ใจใ€- Daimyo
โ€“ ไปŠๅท ๆฐ็œŸใ€Œใ„ใพใŒใ‚ ใ†ใ˜ใ–ใญใ€- Son, and heir to the Imagawa clan
โ€“ ๅคชๅŽŸ ้›ชๆ–Žใ€ŒใŸใ„ใ’ใ‚“ ใ›ใฃใ•ใ„ใ€- Uncle, military advisor and monk

Military Commanders
ไผŠไธน ๅบท็›ดใ€Œใ„ใŸใฟ ใ‚„ใ™ใชใŠใ€(also known as: ๆจฉ้˜ฟๅผฅใ€Œใ”ใ‚“ใ‚ใฟใ€)
ๅบตๅŽŸ ๅฟ ็ธใ€Œใ„ใฏใ‚‰ ใŸใ ใ‚ˆใ‚Šใ€(also known as: ๅฐ†็›ฃใ€Œใ—ใ‚‡ใ†ใ’ใ‚“ใ€)
ๆ–Ž่—ค ๅˆฉๆพ„ใ€Œใ•ใ„ใจใ† ใจใ—ใšใฟใ€(also known as: ๆŽƒ้ƒจไป‹ใ€Œใ‹ใถใฎใ™ใ‘ใ€)

Others
ๅพณๅท ๅฎถๅบทใ€ŒใจใใŒใ‚ ใ„ใˆใ‚„ใ™ใ€(Childhood name: ็ซนๅƒไปฃใ€ŒใŸใ‘ใกใ‚ˆใ€// Other name: ๅ…ƒๅบทใ€Œใ‚‚ใจใ‚„ใ™ใ€) - Soldier
โ€“ ็ฏ‰ๅฑฑใ€Œใคใใ‚„ใพใ€- Wife
โ€“ ๆฆŠๅŽŸ ๅฟ ๆ”ฟใ€Œใ•ใ‹ใใฐใ‚‰ ใŸใ ใพใ•ใ€- Vassal
โ€“ ็Ÿณๅท ๆ•ฐๆญฃใ€Œใ„ใ—ใ‹ใ‚ ใ‹ใšใพใ•ใ€- Loyal follower
ๆœๆฏ”ๅฅˆ ไธป่จˆใ€Œใ‚ใ•ใฒใช ใ‹ใšใˆใ€- Samurai

Takeda Clan
ๆญฆ็”ฐ ไฟก็Ž„ใ€ŒใŸใ‘ใ  ใ—ใ‚“ใ’ใ‚“ใ€- Daimyo

Asakura Clan
ๆœๅ€‰ ็พฉๆ™ฏใ€Œใ‚ใ•ใใ‚‰ ใ‚ˆใ—ใ‹ใ’ใ€- Daimyo

Sakai Clan
Military Commanders
้…’ไบ• ๆญฃ่ฆชใ€Œใ•ใ‹ใ„ ใพใ•ใกใ‹ใ€(also known as: ไธŽๅ››้ƒŽใ€Œใ‚ˆใ—ใ‚ใ†ใ€)

Matsudaira Clan
Military Commanders
ๆพๅนณ ่ฆชไฟŠใ€Œใพใคใ ใ„ใ‚‰ ใกใ‹ใจใ—ใ€(also known as: ๅทฆ้ฆฌๅŠฉใ€Œใ•ใพใฎใ™ใ‘ใ€)
ๆ‰ๆตฆ ๅ‰่ฒžใ€Œใ™ใŽใ†ใ‚‰ ใ‚ˆใ—ใ•ใ ใ€(also known as: ๅ…ซ้ƒŽไบ”้ƒŽใ€Œใฏใกใ‚ใ†ใ”ใ‚ใ†ใ€)

Non-affiliated
้ตœๆฎฟ ็”šไธƒใ€Œใ†ใฉ (ใฎ) ใ˜ใ‚“ใ—ใกใ€- Mountain priest (Yamabushi)

19 Likes

Feb 28, Tue of Week 10 of Winter Q1 2023 :snowman::snowflake:

• ใตใ—ใŽใฎๅ›ฝใฎใƒใƒผใƒ‰ Vol.7 Ch.31-35 (end volume)

Not much time to read today, but some chapters are quite sparse and easy.

Words of the day
  • ใกใ‚„ใปใ‚„ = making a fuss over
  • ไฝ™ๆš‡(ใ‚ˆใ‹) = leisure time. Second Kanji is ๆš‡(ใฒใพ)
  • ่ฟฝไผธ(ใคใ„ใ—ใ‚“) = post scriptum
  • ๅ›ž่จบ(ใ‹ใ„ใ—ใ‚“) = doctorโ€™s round
  • ๆ นๅ›ž(ใญใพใ‚)ใ— = laying the groundwork
  • ่ฒ ่ท(ใตใ‹) = burden; load
  • ่ตดไปป(ใตใซใ‚“) = moving to a new post. First Kanji is ่ตด(ใŠใ‚‚ใ‚€)ใ.
  • ๅ™ๆƒ…(ใ˜ใ‚‡ใ˜ใ‚‡ใ†) = lyricism; expression of feelings
  • ๅ‡บ่‡ช(ใ—ใ‚…ใคใ˜) = origin. Perhaps like ๅ‡บ่บซ(ใ—ใ‚…ใฃใ—ใ‚“).
  • ้•ท้›จ(ใชใŒใ‚ใ‚) = long spell of rain
  • ้ฃผ่‚ฒ(ใ—ใ„ใ) = breeding. On reading of ้ฃผ(ใ‹)ใ†.
17 Likes

February 28th

:snowman: Home post :snowflake:

Card Captor Sakura volume 12 โ€“ progress report
Yesterday: Continued up to page 142, finished chapters 46, 47 and 48.
Today: Read up to page 187, finished chapter 49 and volume 12. Thus, I have finished the (original) Card Captor Sakura series. (Clear Card Arc excluded) :melting_face: :tada:

Word or expression of the day:
่ฃ็ธซ - (ใ•ใ„ใปใ†) - sewing, needlework

โ€“โ€“โ€“โ€“โ€“โ€“โ€“โ€“โ€“โ€“โ€“โ€“โ€“โ€“โ€“โ€“โ€“โ€“โ€“โ€“โ€“โ€“โ€“โ€“โ€“โ€“โ€“โ€“โ€“โ€“โ€“โ€“โ€“โ€“โ€“โ€“โ€“โ€“โ€“โ€“โ€“โ€“โ€“โ€“โ€“โ€“โ€“โ€“โ€“โ€“โ€“โ€“โ€“โ€“โ€“โ€“โ€“โ€“

Phew, I have made it to the end of the challenge and the end of the series I was reading in time.

Volume 12 was on almost all accounts wholesome which extended to the ending. (The latter was a bit too fast-paced for my liking, however: Shaolan being gone, returning literally 3? pages later โ€“ speaking from a physical book structure and manga panel sense โ€“ and saying โ€˜well, my business in Hong Kong is done, now Iโ€™ll just stay here in Japanโ€™ :+1: was almost comical).

Iโ€™ve just remembered that I had a rant on Card Captor Sakura cooking up but I donโ€™t have the mental energy to exhaust myself by ranting right now, so this one will have to wait for another day. Or rather Iโ€™ll let it slide because Iโ€™ll probably run into equally annoying things that I might rant about instead once I get to reading some other of my reading material in future reading challenges. :sweat_smile:

So much for that.

This marks the end of my second read-every-day-challenge. This time, I read through 10 manga volumes and managed to finish one of the series I had started reading in November 2022 (Card Captor Sakura). I think that my reading speed got a little bit faster again but I still struggle with understanding things properly.

I wonโ€™t join the next challenge, meaning this will be my last read-every-day-post for a while. I plan on joining this challenge during summer/early autumn again, though. I donโ€™t think Iโ€™ll have it in me to read every single day from now on without relying on this challenge, but Iโ€™ll try reading regularly (a few times a week) to keep some of my immersion up.

I hope that everyone who joined this winter challenge had a good time with some satisfactory results โ€“ again, regardless if youโ€™ve never done this challenge before or if youโ€™re a regular and regardless if you read every single day or every few days. Hopefully, Iโ€™ll see some of you again when I get back to this challenge. Until then, happy reading! :smile:

Btw, I may or may not be lurking in the next reading challenge thread(s) nodding in satisfaction over all the progress the participants will make.

satisfied-karate-kid

25 Likes

:snowflake: Day 59, 28th of February :snowflake:

:open_book: Back to my Home Post

Did a lot of Genki exercises, not much time for leisure reading.

And thatโ€™s it for the reading challenge for me this time. I only managed 44 out of 59 days, a bit less than last time. Most of that is because of other commitments that took up my time. Iโ€™ve also been in a bit of a plateau for a while, so without visible improvement itโ€™s hard to keep motivated.

Hopfefully this monthlong break from the challenges will help me recharge my drive for improving my Japanese reading skills.

20 Likes

:bookmark: Home post // Feb 28 :snowman_with_snow: :snowflake:

ใƒปใ“ใฎๆœฌใ‚’็›—ใ‚€่€…ใฏ (4% โ†’ 7%)

Got to read a bit in the morning. Not long until Iโ€™m done with chapter 1 :eyes:

Winter challenge is officially done :smiley: :snowflake: How did I do? Iโ€™ve read 2,5 books [1] in these two months which totals about 1100 pages. Not record-breaking, but also not bad for it being busy times. Iโ€™ll continue reading and posting here until the Spring challenge starts.

Feel free to continue/join during break until the next challenge~ Either way, I hope Iโ€™ll see you wonderful people around in another challenge! :durtle_the_explorer:

1. See home post for more information โ†ฉ๏ธŽ

23 Likes

Day 57
Continued reading the Tsugumomo manga. It was one of my favorite arcs in the manga, for once I wasnโ€™t bored reading it.

4026 pages read

17 Likes

February 27th & 28th (Days 58 & 59) :snowflake: :cat2:

Home post :books:

ใ“ใฎๆœฌใ‚’็›—ใ‚€่€…ใฏ (16 - 17%)

Very tiny reads these past two days because I needed a little break from reading. Spent that time playing Octopath instead (itโ€™s such a damn vibe). But anywaysโ€ฆ

I made it to the end of the challenge! :partying_face: :cat2:

Challenge achievements: Iโ€™ve completed my very first Japanese book, and then another (if I can count 1Q84 Book 1 ๅ‰็ทจ as a book). Although I feel like I couldโ€™ve definitely done more (too many lazy days with small bits of reading), I am incredibly happy with my progress :3 I mean, this is two Japanese books more than Iโ€™ve ever read. Finding it a little hard to believe. Third time really was the charm :smile:

Wall of Shame: I planned to read Russian every day, too. But I justโ€ฆ Forgot :person_facepalming: I wonder if I can still read Cyrillic after all these weeksโ€ฆ Oh boiโ€ฆ

I am planning to continue in March, as I fear I may just forget to read altogether if I donโ€™t continue every day :sweat_smile: Iโ€™m excited to continue this journey with those who are sticking around, and looking forward to seeing everyone else in another challenge :3

25 Likes

February 28th!

Today I read Chapter 10 of God Bless the Mistaken, and finished Volume 2.
It was nice to finish off the challenge with another finished volume. :slight_smile:

(Home Post)

End of Challenge Summary: 100% :tada:

Jan
ๆœˆ ็ซ ๆฐด ๆœจ ้‡‘ ๅœŸ ๆ—ฅ
02 03 04 05 06 07 08
09 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
30 31
Feb
ๆœˆ ็ซ ๆฐด ๆœจ ้‡‘ ๅœŸ ๆ—ฅ
01 02 03 04 05
06 07 08 09 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28

Books Completed

• Happiness - Volume 8-9
  • Shadows House - Volume 4
  • Monthly Girlsโ€™ Nozaki-kun - Volume 1
  • Cells at Work - Volume 1
  • Orange - Volume 6
  • Teasing Master Takagi-san - Volume 10
  • God Bless the Mistaken - Volume 2

How is it the last day of the challenge already!? Itโ€™s gone by so quickly!
Iโ€™ve finished 8 volumes of manga so far this year, which feels like a good number.
So far this year Iโ€™ve learned that there IS a limit to how many bookclubs I can juggle at onceโ€ฆ :sweat_smile: But also that I can stubbornly push forward when faced with a mountain of reading to do, even when some of it feels very difficult!

Its been a great start to the year, and I hope everyone else has had as much fun as I have. Thanks, as always, to @windupbird for hosting, and to everyone for sharing your updates, itโ€™s really motivating, and my to-read list is forever expanding from your recommendations!

Iโ€™ll be continuing to post throughout March, but for those who arenโ€™t, I look forward to seeing you again for the Spring Challenge. :slight_smile:

21 Likes

2023-03-01T01:12:00Z

I only read one complete volume of manga [ไผš้•ทใฏใƒกใ‚คใƒ‰ๆง˜๏ผ๏ผ‘] in this reading challenge. I ended up selecting a manga [ใƒคใƒณใ‚ญใƒผๅ›ใจใƒกใ‚ฌใƒใกใ‚ƒใ‚“ ๏ผ‘] that turned out to be too hard for me to read so I havenโ€™t yet finished the replacement option [FAIRY TAIL 1]. This year, I seemed to have picked mostly wordy manga so far. Itโ€™s been quite a challenge but Iโ€™ve managed to push through most of it. Iโ€™ve been reading much more slowly as a result which is why Iโ€™m only on the brink of finishing my second volume for the year. I skipped three days as well, one to attend my sisterโ€™s birthday party and two separate days because I didnโ€™t want to stop reading the English book I was reading at the time.

20 Likes

:spiral_calendar: Day 58: February 27th :ice_cube:

spacer:girl: ใ‹ใ‚‰ใ‹ใ„ไธŠๆ‰‹ใฎ(ๅ…ƒ)้ซ˜ๆœจใ•ใ‚“ Volume 11 (45% โžจ 52%)

Busy week so far. Looks like Iโ€™ll be just barely getting my reading in later tonight as well.

20 Likes

Summary post

Day 57: February 26th
What did I read?: ใƒšใƒณใ‚ฎใƒณใƒปใƒใ‚คใ‚ฆใ‚งใ‚ค :penguin:
How much did I read?: 7 pages
How long did it take me?: 35 minutes

Day 58: February 27th
How much did I read?: 4 pages
How long did it take me?: 14 minutes

Day 59: February 28th
How much did I read?: 5 pages
How long did it take me?: 22 minutes

Limping across the finish line here HAHA QUITE LITERALLY BECAUSE I STUBBED MY TOE ON A CART TODAY AND TOTALLY BROKE MY TOE NAIL/MADE MYSELF BLEED SOMEHOW, but I did manage to slightly pull it together and read something for the last few days of the challenge :joy: I feel bad I kind of went MIA for this second half :upside_down_face: Overall, I read 44/59 days, which isnโ€™t terrible for this time of year but also not the best lol. I finished 3 manga volumes and read ~140 pages of Penguin Highway (which is a little less than half the book - honestly not bad considering I only started it about a month ago and my reading days have been less than consistent in this second half of the challenge). Looking back at what all I read made me miss my sweet magic man Rei :sob: I want another volume of that to come out :upside_down_face:

Anyway, thatโ€™s a wrap on the Winter Challenge! :tada: Congratulations to everyone whoโ€™s made it this far - whether you read a little or a lot, I hope you got something out of the challenge and enjoyed your time in the thread :3 As usual, Iโ€™ll be taking a break in March (I think I might try to focus on English reading, actually :eyes:), but Iโ€™ll still be around lurking and liking posts from those of you who are continuing on! As usual, everyone can feel free to post in this thread until the next challenge starts on April 1st - hope to see you guys again in the spring :grin:

26 Likes

I did the week one reading for ใƒฌใƒ™ใƒซ๏ผ— and I enjoyed it quite a bit. Very mysterious set up - looking forward to how it plays out! Itโ€™s a faster read than I was expecting, partially because itโ€™s paperback (so any words to look up takes a smidge more time) and partially because my last ๅฎฎ้ƒจใฟใ‚†ใ book had a decent number of lookups, but itโ€™s been smooth!

Thereโ€™s something so satisfying about a physical book, and an older copy especially :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: Aged paper just smells good.

Edit: Oh and happy end of challenge! Iโ€™ll probably stick around with any stragglers who just like posting about their reading every day :sweat_smile:

23 Likes

Home

• through the end of vol 3 of ใ‚ขใ‚ฟใƒƒใ‚ฏ!! This series began in 2007, and volleyball terminology must have changed between then and 2012 when HQ and 2.43 began, because there are some terms they use in addition to or instead of the ones Iโ€™m used to. Theyโ€™ll still say โ€œreceive,โ€ but theyโ€™ll also call them โ€œcuts.โ€ I have yet to see ใƒฏใƒณใ‚ฟใƒƒใƒ abbreviated as ใƒฏใƒณใƒ. Middle blockers are called centers, and (wing) spikers are called (side) attackers. In this, they say that the opposite hitter (right wing spiker) is the pillar of the team and is known as the super ace, whereas usually itโ€™s one of the two left wing spikers whoโ€™s the ace and the pillar of the teamโ€”and a super ace is just, well, an ace whoโ€™s a cut above the rest. A genius ace, if you will. I have two more volleyball series; I wonder where theyโ€™ll fall, terminology-wise.
  • 22 pages of ใ“ใฎๆœฌใ‚’็›—ใ‚€่€…ใฏ, leaving off on pg 88. Finished ch 1 and started ch 2!
  • played a bit of ใญใ“ๅณถ็‰ฉ่ชž and ใใฟใฎใพใก ใƒใƒซใƒ†ใ‚ฃใ‚ข
Some vocab of note:

ๆ–น้‡ (ใปใ†ใ—ใ‚“) [n.] policy; course; plan (of action); principle. From the original meaning of โ€œmagnetic needleโ€ (Iโ€™m assuming from the kanji a compass needle).

21 Likes

:chocolate_bar: :love_letter: ๏ผ’ๆœˆ๏ผ’๏ผ˜ๆ—ฅ :love_letter: :chocolate_bar: (Home Post Link)

Welp! We did it! Another challenge in the books! Congrats, everyone! Whether you managed to read every day or not, I hope you feel like you got some good practice in! Iโ€™ve loved reading everyoneโ€™s updates, and it really really is true that having a group of people working on the same sorts of goals can be motivating; It definitely was for me this challenge. More than a few days where I dragged myself out of bed to go read my chapter of ไธ‰ใƒ„ๆ˜Ÿใ‚ซใƒฉใƒผใ‚บ, do some anki, and post a quick update. :sweat_smile:

Missed no days, and ended up reading 12 volumes of manga (and change), 3 childrenโ€™s books, 1 short story, and 1 short visual novel.

Read:

• ๅคœใ‚ซใƒ•ใ‚ง pg 145 โ†’ 169 DONE! - oh man it feels good to finish this finally, it feels like Iโ€™ve been nibbling on it forever. Wanted to end off the challenge proper with a bang though
  • ไธ‰ใƒ„ๆ˜Ÿใ‚ซใƒฉใƒผใ‚บ ch 25

Word of the Day:
ๅ‘ผใณๆจใฆใซใ™ใ‚‹ ใ€Œใ‚ˆใณใ™ใฆใซใ™ใ‚‹ใ€ใƒผ to address (someone) without using a suffix such as โ€œ-sanโ€ or โ€œ-chanโ€; to refer to (someone) without a title suffix

February Goals

:white_check_mark: Finish ๅคœใ‚ซใƒ•ใ‚ง vol 1
:white_check_mark: Finish ใƒ›ใƒชใƒŸใƒค and pick a new easy manga before the ABBC and BBC
:negative_squared_cross_mark: Pass the ๏ผ™็ดš full mock test in the kanken game
:negative_squared_cross_mark: Finish parts 1 and 2 of ๆ–ฐๅฎŒๅ…จใƒžใ‚นใ‚ฟใƒผ N3 reading book

I did, finally, at long last, finish ใƒ›ใƒชใƒŸใƒค. Originally a stretch goal to try to finish in December, I managed to stretch it out until February :laughing: It took a little bit of extra work on the last day, but I also managed to finish ๅคœใ‚ซใƒ•ใ‚ง volume 1! For manga this month I read about 5 volumes in total, as well as joined the ABBC and BBC book clubs and start with those readings.

I didnโ€™t end up deciding to work too much on the 9็ดš test, because I was still struggling with some stuff on 10็ดš, but I did manage to do some writing practice every day, and passed the full 40 minute 10็ดš test last week! Definitely getting easier to work with. Current in game time is about 8 hours + a few extra hours of writing practice outside the game. Level 10 might โ€œonlyโ€ be 80 kanji, but at the end of the day thatโ€™s still going from not knowing how to write any kana to being able to comfortably do hiragana, katakana (less comfortably), and those 80 kanji, so Iโ€™m still pretty happy with my progress here.

Then for the ๆ–ฐๅฎŒๅ…จใƒžใ‚นใ‚ฟใƒผ seriesโ€ฆ I basically dropped the ball on this one. I did about 5 days worth of lessons, which isnโ€™t nothing! But itโ€™s definitely not as much as Iโ€™d hoped to get done.

Overall Challenge Goals

Now, when I wrote my goals in my original post, I was envisioning the end of March as a time frame, since I was planning to not take that month off (like I did with december in the winter challenge), so hereโ€™s progress towards those:

• Finish every volume of manga I currently physically own in 2023 - I have read 12 volumes of manga this year, which still puts me ahead of pace for completing this by the end of the year!
  • I want to transition into reading more stuff which is pure text. - This one is an unqualified success already. Read 2 magic treehouse books, 1 japanese original childrens book, a short visual novel, and also a short story!
  • finish working through the ๆ–ฐๅฎŒๅ…จใƒžใ‚นใ‚ฟใƒผ่ชญ่งฃN3 - again, I have sort of dropped the ball on this one, but thereโ€™s still time for march! I donโ€™t know about finishing the whole book by then, but I could certainly make a sizeable dent in it.

March Goals:
I think both trying to read ๅคœใ‚ซใƒ•ใ‚ง and work on ๆ–ฐๅฎŒๅ…จใƒžใ‚นใ‚ฟใƒผ ended up being a little too much for me this month, so I think Iโ€™m going to take march off from trying to read a book book and just focus on those.

• Do some ๆ–ฐๅฎŒๅ…จใƒžใ‚นใ‚ฟใƒผ N3 reading every day - Not going to set a hard goal on this because some sections are wildly different difficulty depending on how familiar I am with the concepts already
  • Pass ๏ผ™็ดš kanken test
  • Keep up the manga streak - I was hoping to do 3ๆœˆใฎใƒชใ‚ชใƒณ in ๏ผ“ๆœˆ, but I think that might be a bit much to bite off for me right now, so Iโ€™ll keep going with the book clubs and with ไธ‰ใƒ„ๆ˜Ÿใ‚ซใƒฉใƒผใ‚บ. I think Iโ€™d like to finish that series in March, though, so I can actually do ๅ››ๆœˆใฏๅ›ใฎๅ˜˜ in ๅ››ๆœˆ :laughing:

Iโ€™ll still be hanging around through march again, but for everyone whoโ€™s taking a break I hope to see you all again in April! :tada:

25 Likes

:performing_arts: Home :switzerland:

February 28th

ใ‚ธใƒงใ‚ธใƒงใฎๅฅ‡ๅฆ™ใชๅ†’้™บ10
-

ไธๅฏ่งฃ(ใตใ‹ใ‹ใ„)ใชใผใใฎใ™ในใฆใ‚’ 1
23 - 47

My deadlines are approaching at work and I think Iโ€™m on time. Hopefully that means Iโ€™ll have more time for reading soon.

ไธๅฏ่งฃ(ใตใ‹ใ‹ใ„) did get a bit better, so Iโ€™m even more hopefully now with encouragement from the folks who have already read it. I also like that it doesnโ€™t have furigana. It feels like a more real test of my reading skills.

24 Likes

February 28 :snowflake: Home Post

A pretty neutral day for the technical end of the challenge; I played some more Steins;Gate and made it through the wall of science terminology I was in the middle of :joy: some things are very consistent across spike chunsoft games haha. Back to the Future appeared yet again today, though not by name this time :laughing:

Anyway Iโ€™ll be sticking around for the next month like usual, so no big wrap-up post for now. I might do some reflection in the next couple of days if the mood strikes, but otherwise Iโ€™ll see you guys in March and/or the next challenge! :grin:

23 Likes

February 28 :heavy_check_mark: :cityscape:

ใƒฆใƒผใƒˆใƒญใƒ‹ใ‚ซใฎใ“ใกใ‚‰ๅด , 51-59%

I really wanted to finish the chapter yesterday, and have the day free for ๅŠ่ฝใก today, but sleep is important too.

February Recap

This month didnโ€™t go as well as I hoped, but it did have its highlights. I finished 3 books, and made good progress in two others. I missed two days of reading, but I had a day when I read 72 pages, and another when I read 124, both a record for me. I read a total of 805 pages this month, which seems little next to Januaryโ€™s 1110, but still not bad at all.

24 Likes