๐Ÿ“š๐Ÿ“š Read every day challenge - Winter 2023 โ˜ƒโ„

:spiral_calendar: Day 48: February 17th :mountain_snow:

spacer:bust_in_silhouette: ใ‚ทใƒฃใƒ‰ใƒผใƒใ‚ฆใ‚น Volume 5 (45% โžจ 54%)

Plans for this weekend: book club reading.

22 Likes

February 18th

:snowman: Home post :snowflake:

Card Captor Sakura volume 10 โ€“ progress report
Yesterday: Began reading volume 10, read up to page 16.
Today: Continued up to page 103, finished chapters 39 and 40.

Kudos to both Sakura and Yukito who handled the confession and rejection very nicely even though Sakura didnโ€™t quite agree with Yukitoโ€™s comparison that her love towards him was just like the love towards her father.
Can I also give Yukito another heap of praise for rejecting a person much younger than himself in midst of all the (in my opinion) messed up relationship dynamics between minors and adults weโ€™ve had so far? Good job, Yukito, good job! :+1: From the little bit I remember, the platonic relationship between Yukito and Sakura becomes purely wholesome from that point on which I liked quite a bit.

โ€“โ€“โ€“โ€“โ€“โ€“โ€“โ€“โ€“โ€“โ€“โ€“โ€“โ€“โ€“โ€“โ€“โ€“โ€“โ€“โ€“โ€“โ€“โ€“โ€“โ€“โ€“โ€“โ€“โ€“โ€“โ€“โ€“โ€“โ€“โ€“โ€“โ€“โ€“โ€“โ€“โ€“โ€“โ€“โ€“โ€“โ€“โ€“โ€“โ€“โ€“โ€“โ€“โ€“โ€“โ€“โ€“โ€“

Word or expression of the day:
ๅฏฟๅ‘ฝ - (ใ˜ใ‚…ใฟใ‚‡ใ†) - life span

Honourable mention(s):
็…งใ‚Œๅฑ‹ - (ใฆใ‚Œใ‚„) - shy, a very shy person

22 Likes

Feb 18, Sat of Week 8 of Winter Q1 2023 :snowman::snowflake:

• ใ‚ฌใƒฉใ‚นใฎใ†ใ•ใŽ Ch.5

• ใตใ—ใŽใฎๅ›ฝใฎใƒใƒผใƒ‰ Vol.4 Ch.17 ๅฑฑๅฝข(ใ‚„ใพใŒใŸ)

Forced westernization.

• Ruri Dragon Vol.1

I finished the volume in one go with no lookup in between. Actually, I knew most vocabularies and could guess the rest. Also with some read-aloud (quietly).

Around 1.5 hour, I think. Cute.

• ใ†ใŸใ‚ใ‚Œใ‚‹ใ‚‚ใฎ
Words of the day
  • ใŠใใ‚‹ในใ = formidable. It is indeed ๆ(ใŠใ)ใ‚‹ + ในใ / ในใ—.
  • ใ™ใŒใ™ใŒใ—ใ„ = refreshing = ๆธ…ใ€…(ใ™ใŒใ™ใŒ)ใ—ใ„
  • ใ„ใ›ใ„ใฎใ‚ˆใ„ = cheerful; vigorous; assertive = ๅจๅ‹ข(ใ„ใ›ใ„)ใฎ่‰ฏ(ใ‚ˆ)ใ„ = ๅจๅ‹ข(ใ„ใ›ใ„)ใฎใ„ใ„
  • ใ‹ใ„ใ‚‚ใ = (not) at all; entirely = ็š†็›ฎ(ใ‹ใ„ใ‚‚ใ)
  • ใƒœใ‚พใฃใจ(.) = absentmindedly
  • ใƒ–ใ‚ซใƒ–ใ‚ซ(.) = baggy (of clothing)
  • ใกใ‚Šใขใ‚Š = scattered = ๆ•ฃ(ใก)ใ‚Šๆ•ฃ(ใข)ใ‚Š
  • ใ‚ทใƒฃใƒ™ใƒซ(.) = shovel
  • ใ‚ฝ้€ฃ(ใ‚Œใ‚“) = Soviet Union; USSR = ใ‚ฝใƒ“ใ‚จใƒˆ้€ฃ้‚ฆ(ใ‚Œใ‚“ใฝใ†)
  • ใ‚ใใพใˆใ‚‹ = to exercise moderation; to bear in mind = ๅผ(ใ‚ใใพ)ใˆใ‚‹
  • ๅผ•(ใฒ)ใฃ็ซ‹(ใŸ)ใฆใ‚‹ = to walk someone off (e.g. to police station)
  • ้€ฃ่กŒ(ใ‚Œใ‚“ใ“ใ†) = dragging some away (e.g. to police station)
  • ๆ•็ธ›(ใปใฐใ) = arrest; apprehension (policeโ€™s doing)
  • ๅฏ(ใญ)ใ‹ใˆใ‚‹ = to put to bed
  • ่ฌ€(ใŸใฐใ‹)ใ‚‹ = to work out a plan of deception. Has Furigana.
  • ๆฎ‹ๅฟ(ใ–ใ‚“ใซใ‚“) = brutal
  • ่ฆ‹็›ฎ(ใฟใ‚) = looks = ่ฆ‹(ใฟ)ใŸ็›ฎ(ใ‚)
  • ่ข‚(ใŸใ‚‚ใจ) = sleeves (e.g. of a kimono). Has Furigana.
  • ใใฎ้ƒฝๅบฆ(ใคใฉ) = each time it happens. Reading is just as in ้ƒฝๅˆ(ใคใ”ใ†).
  • ่’ธ็™บ(ใ˜ใ‚‡ใ†ใฏใค) = evaporation; disappearance without a trace
  • ่ฟฝๆ†ถ(ใคใ„ใŠใ) = recollection; reminiscence = ่ฟฝๆƒณ(ใคใ„ใใ†)
  • ๅ‡บๅ‘(ใ—ใ‚…ใฃใ“ใ†) = relocation (of an employee)
  • ่ปŠๅคซ(ใ—ใ‚ƒใต) = the worker pulling a rickshaw (ๅŠ›่ปŠ(ใ‚Šใใ—ใ‚ƒ))
  • ๆ•ฃ้ซช(ใ•ใ‚“ใฑใค) = haircut
  • ไธ้ซท(ใกใ‚‡ใ‚“ใพใ’) = topknot (hairstyle). Has Furigana.
  • ใƒœใ‚ตใƒœใ‚ต(.) = ruffled (hair)
  • ๆญฃ่ฃ…(ใ›ใ„ใใ†) = formal dress (uniform)
  • ๆกไพ‹(ใ˜ใ‚‡ใ†ใ‚Œใ„) = ordinance; law
  • ๆถˆๆฏ(ใ—ใ‚‡ใ†ใใ) = tidings; news
  • ่ƒŒไปป(ใฏใ„ใซใ‚“) = breach of trust
  • ้ฝŸ้ฝฌ(ใใ”) = inconsistency; discrepancy. Has Furigana.
  • ้˜ฒ็ฉบๅฃ•(ใผใ†ใใ†ใ”ใ†) = air-raid shelter. The third Kanji ๏ฝžๅฃ•(ใ”ใ†) is already enough to mean shelter. Has Furigana and explanation in context, but I find the Kanji interesting.
  • ้‹ๆฒณ(ใ†ใ‚“ใŒ) = waterway
  • ็ฝน็ฝ(ใ‚Šใ•ใ„) = suffering (from calamity). ็ฝน็ฝ่€…(ใ‚Šใ•ใ„ใ—ใ‚ƒ) in context and has Furigana.
  • ็˜ง(ใŠใ“ใ‚Š) = intermittent fever (often is malaria). Has Furigana and explanation.
  • ็‚Šไบ‹(ใ™ใ„ใ˜) = cooking. I recalled first Kanjiโ€™s reading from ็‚Š้ฃฏๅ™จ(ใ™ใ„ใฏใ‚“ใ).
  • ๅ™ด้œง(ใตใ‚“ใ‚€) = spraying. Second Kanji is ้œง(ใใ‚Š) = mist; fog.
  • ่€ƒๅฏŸ(ใ“ใ†ใ•ใค) = deliberate consideration
  • ใ”ๆณ•ๅบฆ(ใฏใฃใจ) = being banned
  • ่ฟ‘้ƒŠ(ใใ‚“ใ“ใ†) = outskirts
  • ็ฝชไบบ(ใ–ใ„ใซใ‚“) = criminal; lawbreaker
  • ๆ „้คŠๅคฑ่ชฟ(ใˆใ„ใ‚ˆใ†ใ—ใฃใกใ‚‡ใ†) = malnutrition
  • ้…’ๆฑ ่‚‰ๆž—(ใ—ใ‚…ใกใซใใ‚Šใ‚“) = sumptuous feast; debauchery. A pond of alcohol and a forest of (edible) meat.
  • ๆๆ‚ฆ่‡ณๆฅต(ใใ‚‡ใ†ใˆใคใ—ใ”ใ) = extremely delighted
  • ่ซธ่‚Œ่„ฑ(ใ‚‚ใ‚ใฏใ ใฌ)ใŽ = being bare from the waist up. Verb form is ่ซธ่‚Œ(ใ‚‚ใ‚ใฏใ )ใ‚’่„ฑ(ใฌ)ใ. Using ๅŒ(ใ‚‚ใ‚) instead in context. Has Furigana.

Some others I can think of, ็‹ผ็‹ฝ(ใ‚ใ†ใฐใ„) and ็‹ผ็‹ฝ(ใ†ใ‚ใŸ)ใˆใ‚‹; and ๅ˜ฒ็ฌ‘(ใกใ‚‡ใ†ใ—ใ‚‡ใ†) and ๅ˜ฒ็ฌ‘(ใ‚ใ–ใ‚ใ‚‰)ใ†.

18 Likes

:snowman_with_snow: :snowflake: February 17 - 18 :snowflake: :snowman_with_snow:
Home Post

Yesterday
Shelter in Place by Nora Roberts

Today
Orange :tangerine:
ๅค่ฆ‹ใ•ใ‚“ใฏใ€ใ‚ณใƒŸใƒฅ็—‡ใงใ™ใ€‚ :speech_balloon:
ใƒ›ใƒ†ใƒซใƒปใƒกใƒƒใƒ„ใ‚กใƒšใ‚ฆใƒฉใธใ‚ˆใ†ใ“ใ 3 :christmas_tree:

Yesterday, I spent about 3-4 hours reading the last part of Shelter in Place by Nora Roberts and nothing else.

Today, I read the weekly reading for Orange (30 pages / 2 chapters), the weekly reading for Komi-san (12 pages / 2 chapters), and then just for fun I finally picked up the third volume of ใƒ›ใƒ†ใƒซใƒปใƒกใƒƒใƒ„ใ‚กใƒšใ‚ฆใƒฉใธใ‚ˆใ†ใ“ใ. I decided to see if I could read that in one day and not have it take too long. Just like this summer when I read volume 1 and 2, I didnโ€™t look up anything, instead I just kept reading and didnโ€™t find myself truly confused anywhere.

I donโ€™t know exactly how long it took me to read the whole volume, but 2-3 hours maybe? I donโ€™t know exactly when I started, so it is a bit of guess, but I donโ€™t think it can be much longer than that. :thinking:

I think this is the first time Iโ€™ve read a whole volume in one sitting (and one day). So that was kinda fun. :smiley:

23 Likes

:bookmark: Home post // Feb 18 :snowman_with_snow: :snowflake:

ใƒป่–ฌๅฑ‹ใฎใฒใจใ‚Šใ”ใจ๏ผ“ (62% โ†’ 64%)

Today was busy, but not bad :3

Yeah! :durtle_noice:

22 Likes

February 18th (Day 49) :snowflake: :cat2:

Home post :books:

ใ“ใฎๆœฌใ‚’็›—ใ‚€่€…ใฏ (10 - 13%)

Decided to tackle a little bit of the week 2 ใ“ใฎๆœฌใ‚’็›—ใ‚€่€…ใฏ assignment today. Iโ€™m enjoying the chaos thatโ€™s unfolding so far, but finding the protagonist a little obnoxious.

21 Likes

:snowflake: Day 49, 18th of February :snowflake:

:open_book: Back to my Home Post

Todayโ€™s page shows our two travellers heading out. They once again meet the old man. And I learned that ๆ—ฉใ€… can be read as ๆ—ฉใ€…(ใใ†ใใ†) (quickly) or ๆ—ฉใ€…(ใฏใ‚„ใฐใ‚„) (early).

Anyway, seems like the pld man wants to come with. Or he wants to give them something? Right, its ใ“ใ‚Œ not ็ง or other pronouns, so he wants them to take something with them. Seems to be a box that is supposed to help if they get lost?

20 Likes

Day 48
Just read a little bit more of Kindaichi Shounen vol.3. Already looking forward to the ridiculous overdramatic conclusion of the case.

3485 pages read

19 Likes

February 18th!

Today I read the next chapter of Teasing Master Takagi-san, finishing Volume 10.
Then I also read this weekโ€™s ABBC assignment of Ruri Dragon. It was very cute, and Iโ€™m looking forward to reading more.

(Home Post)

20 Likes

:performing_arts: Home :it:

February 18th

ใ‚ธใƒงใ‚ธใƒงใฎๅฅ‡ๅฆ™ใชๅ†’้™บ9
-

ใƒซใƒชใƒ‰ใƒฉใ‚ดใƒณ 1
-

The JoJolands
16 pages (finished chapter)

Demonic Heartbreak
33 pages (whole new chapter)

I thought I would read more of vol 9 until I fell asleep but I just ended up opening and closing it lol

20 Likes

:chocolate_bar: :love_letter: ๏ผ’ๆœˆ๏ผ‘๏ผ˜ๆ—ฅ :love_letter: :chocolate_bar: (Home Post Link)

Had a small victory at the arcade earlier! Most of the games are only in japanese, and to prevent people from stalling/prevent the games from getting stuck if thereโ€™s an error, the menus have a time limit (usually around 40 seconds to a minute) to pick a song/do options. These menus are also notoriously confusing and weirdly nested, since you are using a rhythm game controller to try to do things youโ€™d normally want a real controller/keyboard for. I finally figured out how to get into the song options menu in wacca and adjust the scroll speed and visual settings even with that tight time restriction!

changed to a readable scroll speed and suddenly i'm pretty good at wacca

Avg ~920k on scroll speed 2.0 (default) to getting ~980k+ and SSS ranks on scroll speed 3.0 โ€ฆ funny how that works :laughing: most really good players play on 5.0, but iโ€™ll have to work up to that i think

Read:

• ๅค่ฆ‹ใ•ใ‚“ใฏใ‚ณใƒŸใƒฅ็—‡ใงใ™ ch 1 & 2 - (chanting) book club book club book club
  • ใƒซใƒชใƒ‰ใƒฉใ‚ดใƒณ pg 1-17 - (chanting louder) book club book club book club god this manga is so cute, I really miss it and hope it comes back eventually :smiling_face_with_tear:
  • will do some more after dinner, feeling unusually motivated today
  • ๅคœใ‚ซใƒ•ใ‚ง pg 120 โ†’ 131 (chapter 10)
  • ไธ‰ใƒ„ๆ˜Ÿใ‚ซใƒฉใƒผใ‚บ ch 16

Still debating whether to also try out the IBC pick, but I think Iโ€™d like to finish ๅคœใ‚ซใƒ•ใ‚ง first. From the preview it looked like a challenging but still reasonable level for me (especially considering the slow pace and extra support of the clubs)

@NicoleIsEnough my copy of Making Sense of Japanese also got here today! I just went through the preface and introduction, but I already love this book :laughing: his sense of humor is greatly appreciated when so much of the non-fiction Iโ€™ve been reading is super dry, academic stuff

Speaking of! De-mystifying Translation | Introducing Translation to Non-translators ! Thereโ€™s a new open-source introduction to translation and translation theory book that some people here might be interested in! Itโ€™s written by a linguist, but itโ€™s intended to be accessible for broader audiences.

Word of the Day
ๅ‡กไบบใ€Œใผใ‚“ใ˜ใ‚“ใ€ใƒผ ordinary/average/mediocre person

25 Likes

Home

Only had some time for a little bit of ใƒใƒซใƒ†ใ‚ฃใ‚ข today. Just one more day of work, and then Iโ€™ll have a few days off and hopefully I wonโ€™t be so tiredโ€ฆ

19 Likes

February 18 :snowflake: Home Post

Played some more BU$TAFELLOWS today! I think Iโ€™m close to the end of the section now, but itโ€™s always kinda hard to tell. And then I have bad endings to consider :eyes: exciting times!

20 Likes

Played Genshin for some reason most of the day. So uhโ€ฆ Iโ€™ve been reading technically.

16 Likes

Read about 10 pages of ๅคœใฏ็Ÿญใ—ๆญฉใ‘ใ‚ˆไน™ๅฅณ today. Itโ€™s the weekend but starting tomorrow Iโ€™m gonna go pretty hard and try to finish this week. Iโ€™ve been going at slow place for the first chapter to get whatever names and vocab make up most of the novel, so my hope is I can just read the rest from here and see how it goes. I really love this story, so the likelihood Iโ€™ll reread it again is pretty high. So Iโ€™m not super concerned about missing things. Plus thereโ€™s the movie.

18 Likes

home post

19 feb

feel better than yesterday but still not fully with it. abandoned ๅ››ๆœˆใฏๅ›ใฎๅ˜˜ cos i wasnโ€™t finding it particularly enjoyable to read (maybe iโ€™ll go back to it? idk) so i thought iโ€™d give ่–โ˜†ใŠใซใ„ใ•ใ‚“ another go. i think i needed something a bit silly.

thanks for sharing this! looking forward to reading it!

21 Likes

:house:
February 19

ไธ–็•Œใ‹ใ‚‰็ŒซใŒๆถˆใˆใŸใชใ‚‰ pg32 โ†’pg37

Every night I tell myself Iโ€™ll read in Japanese for half an hour then go to sleep, but end up procrastinating for hours before doing so and then falling asleep after half a pageโ€ฆ tomorrow Iโ€™ll start reading in the morning instead, lol. Surely that will save me a lot of wasted time procrastinating for no reason :sweat_smile:

22 Likes

Feb 19, Sun of Week 8 of Winter Q1 2023 :snowman::snowflake:

• ใ‚ฌใƒฉใ‚นใฎใ†ใ•ใŽ Ch.6

• ใตใ—ใŽใฎๅ›ฝใฎใƒใƒผใƒ‰ Vol.4 Ch.18-19 (end volume)

Readable Japanese speech today. (Practically everyone in the series only speaks "English".)

Actually, this is a real dialogue, which is no way an interpretation.

• Komi Canโ€™t Communicate Vol. 1 Ch.1-3

Refreshing very short chapters.

• ใ†ใŸใ‚ใ‚Œใ‚‹ใ‚‚ใฎ
Words of the day
  • ใƒŠใƒซใ‚ทใ‚นใƒˆ = narcissist. A loanword with a syllable skipped, just like ใ‚ขใƒซใ‚ณใƒผใƒซ?
  • ใคใ‚‹ใฏใ— = a pickaxe = ้ถดๅ˜ด(ใคใ‚‹ใฏใ—). Beak of a crane (ใคใ‚‹ bird).
  • ใ›ใ›ใ“ใพใ—ใ„(.) = narrow-minded
  • ใคใคใŒใชใ„ = safe; free from accident. Kanji form is ๆ™็„ก(ใคใคใŒใช)ใ„, but without Furigana, it feels like, not being ๏ฝžใคใคใ‚ใ‚‹.
  • ่‡ฅ(ใต)ใ›ใ‚‹ = to lie down in bed (e.g. with an illness). Compare with ไผ(ใต)ใ›ใ‚‹ which is just to look down; to lie down (dodging bullets).
  • ๅฒ(ใ—ใฎ)ใถ = to reminisce. Similar sounding is ๅฟ(ใ—ใฎ)ใถ = to conceal oneself / to endure. Another almost similar sound is ๅ‡Œ(ใ—ใฎ)ใ = to endure.
  • ๆ‚–(ใ‚‚ใจ)ใ‚‹ = to go against; to deviate from. ้“็†(ใฉใ†ใ‚Š)ใซๆ‚–(ใ‚‚ใจ)ใ‚‹ in context. The verb has Furigana.
  • ๅŸ‹(ใ†)ใ‚ๅˆ(ใ‚)ใ‚ใ› = making up for. Verb form is ๅŸ‹(ใ†)ใ‚ๅˆ(ใ‚)ใ‚ใ›ใ‚‹. Probably somewhat similar to ่ฃœ(ใŠใŽใช)ใ† and ็น•(ใคใใ‚)ใ†.
  • ๆ†‚(ใ†)ใ•ๆ™ด(ใฐ)ใ‚‰ใ— = diversion from oneโ€™s worries = ๆ†‚(ใ†)ใ•ใ‚’ๆ™ด(ใฏ)ใ‚‰ใ™. This one doesnโ€™t have Furigana, but ๆ†‚(ใ†)ใ• with Furigana is seen.
  • ็”Ÿ(ใŠ)ใ„็ซ‹(ใŸ)ใก = personal history
  • ๅบƒๆผ (ใ“ใ†ใฐใ) = vast; boundless. First Kanji uses ๆ—งๅญ—ไฝ“ form in context. taru-adjective. Has Furigana.
  • ้ทนๆš(ใŠใ†ใ‚ˆใ†) = generous. Has Furigana.
  • ๅฎนๆ˜“(ใŸใ‚„ใ™)ใ„ = simple; easy. Has Furigana.
  • ่Šณ้†‡(ใปใ†ใ˜ใ‚…ใ‚“) = rich flavor
  • ็ฐ็Œ›(ใฉใ†ใ‚‚ใ†) = fierce
  • ๅฅ”ๆ”พ(ใปใ‚“ใผใ†) = free; unrestrained. Has Furigana.
  • ไนฑๅฟƒ(ใ‚‰ใ‚“ใ—ใ‚“) = insanity
  • ๅฅ‰ๅ…ฌ(ใปใ†ใ“ใ†) = public service / apprenticeship
  • ไธ็พฉ็†(ใตใŽใ‚Š) = fail to perform oneโ€™s social obligations / ingratitude; not returning a debt
  • ่ฆ‹่ˆž้‡‘(ใฟใพใ„ใใ‚“) = gift of money in token of oneโ€™s sympathy. Of course the first two Kanji is ่ฆ‹่ˆž(ใฟใพ)ใ„, but I wasnโ€™t sure of the reading of the third.
  • ไป•้€(ใ—ใŠใ)ใ‚Š = allowance / sending someone allowance
  • ๆ•ฐ็ (ใ˜ใ‚…ใš) = rosary; a string of prayer beads
  • ๅทซ่ก“(ใตใ˜ใ‚…ใค) = shamanism
  • ้œŠๅช’ๅธซ(ใ‚Œใ„ใฐใ„ใ—) = a medium
  • ๅฃๅฏ„(ใใกใ‚ˆ)ใ› = channeling a spirit
  • ็ฅˆ็ฅท(ใใจใ†) = a prayer
  • ๅฝผๅฒธ(ใฒใŒใ‚“) = Higan weeks (weeks at spring / autumn equinox); the week of Buddhist memorial services. Has Furigana.
  • ไพ›้คŠ(ใใ‚ˆใ†) = memorial services (to the departed). Alternative reading for the first Kanji, which is usually ใ‚ญใƒงใ‚ฆ (e.g. ไพ›็ตฆ(ใใ‚‡ใ†ใใ‚…ใ†)).
  • ่ฟฝๆ‚ผๅผ(ใคใ„ใจใ†ใ—ใ) = memorial services (to the departed). Base word is ่ฟฝๆ‚ผ(ใคใ„ใจใ†) = mourning.
  • ๆ…ฐ้œŠ็ข‘(ใ„ใ‚Œใ„ใฒ) = memorial monument
  • ่ฉๆๅฏบ(ใผใ ใ„ใ˜) = a temple with oneโ€™s family grave
  • ๅˆๆŽŒ(ใŒใฃใ—ใ‚‡ใ†) = two palms together = praying hand gesture. Sounds similar to ๅˆๅ”ฑ(ใŒใฃใ—ใ‚‡ใ†) = singing together; choir; chorus.
  • ๆบ€ๆœŸ(ใพใ‚“ใ) = serving oneโ€™s full term (years) of service
  • ไธปๅ‚ฌ(ใ—ใ‚…ใ•ใ„) = sponsorship
  • ่ˆตๆ‰‹(ใ ใ—ใ‚…) = steersman; coxswain (of a boat). First Kanji can also be read ่ˆต(ใ‹ใ˜). Has a different Furigana (ใ‚ณใƒƒใ‚ฏใ‚น = coxswain) in context.
  • ็ซถๆผ•(ใใ‚‡ใ†ใใ†) = boat race. Has a different Furigana in context (ใƒฌใ‚ฌใƒƒใ‚ฟ = regatta). Of course, the Kanji reading is similar to ็ซถไบ‰(ใใ‚‡ใ†ใใ†) (a competition) or ็ซถ่ตฐ(ใใ‚‡ใ†ใใ†) = (a running match, also car or horse).
  • ๅฑ…็•™ๅœฐ(ใใ‚‡ใ‚Šใ‚…ใ†ใก) = foreign settlement
  • ่ˆถๆฅ(ใฏใใ‚‰ใ„) = imported
  • ๅๆ„Ÿ(ใฏใ‚“ใ‹ใ‚“) = dislike; antipathy
  • ่‰ฒ็œผ้ก(ใ„ใ‚ใ‚ใŒใญ) = colored glasses; also, preconceived views. I thought of ๅŒ็œผ้ก(ใใ†ใŒใ‚“ใใ‚‡ใ†) which uses On reading instead.
  • ๅ—…่ฆš(ใใ‚…ใ†ใ‹ใ) = sense of smell. First Kanji from ๅ—…(ใ‹)ใ. I instead thought of ่‡ญ่ฆš(ใ—ใ‚…ใ†ใ‹ใ), where the Kanji comes from ่‡ญ(ใซใŠ)ใ„, and I remembered the On reading from ่‡ญๆฐ—(ใ—ใ‚…ใ†ใ) and ๅŠ ้ฝข่‡ญ(ใ‹ใ‚Œใ„ใ—ใ‚…ใ†).
  • ่ฅŸ่ถณ(ใˆใ‚Šใ‚ใ—) = the border of back hair; hairline at the nape of neck
  • ๆ–‘็‚น(ใฏใ‚“ใฆใ‚“) = speckles. First Kanji from ๆ–‘(ใพใ ใ‚‰).
  • ไฝ™่ˆˆ(ใ‚ˆใใ‚‡ใ†) = side show; performance
  • ่ถณ(ใŸ)ใ—ใซใ™ใ‚‹ = to top up; to supplement to
  • ่™šๅ‹ข(ใใ‚‡ใ›ใ„)ใ‚’ๅผต(ใฏ)ใ‚‹ = to put a a bold front; to bluff
20 Likes

:raccoon: :books: The Tanuki Kotatsu Reading Den :snowflake: :raccoon:

February 19th
ๆ–ฐๆ›ธๅคช้–ฃ่จ˜ progress: 10.95% // Volume II: 25.39% :japanese_castle:

Todayโ€™s dilemma: when you donโ€™t have much time to commit to reading but the story gets exciting.

Words found under the kotatsu

็พฝๆŒฏใ‚Šใ€Œใฏใถใ‚Šใ€ใƒผ Influence; power
ๆทฑๅ‚ทใ€Œใตใ‹ใงใ€ใƒผ Major wound
ๆต…ๅ‚ทใ€Œใ‚ใ•ใงใ€ใƒผ Minor wound

Character Name List

Probably some spoilers, but this is a historic novel, so can spoilers really exist for things that have (for the most part) actually happened :thinking:

Volume I: 1535 - 1555

ๆ—ฅๅ‰ใ€Œใฒใ‚ˆใ—ใ€- Hideyoshi (as child)
Nicknames: ็Œฟใ€Œใ•ใ‚‹ใ€/ ้‡ๅฃฒใ‚Šใ€Œใฏใ‚Šใ†ใ‚Šใ€
Name serving Nobunaga: ๆœจไธ‹ ่—คๅ‰้ƒŽใ€Œใใฎใ—ใŸ ใจใ†ใใกใ‚ใ†ใ€

Family
ๆœจไธ‹ๅผฅๅณ่ก›้–€ใ€Œใใฎใ—ใŸ ใ‚„ใˆใ‚‚ใ‚“ใ€- Father
โ€“ โ€“ ไน™่‹ฅใ€ŒใŠใจใ‚ใ‹ใ€- Old friend (serves under ็น”็”ฐ)
็ญ‘้˜ฟๅผฅใ€Œใกใใ‚ใฟใ€ใƒผ Step-father
ๅคงๆ”ฟๆ‰€ใ€ŒใŠใŠใพใ‚“ใฉใ“ใ‚ใ€// also ใŠๅฅˆๅŠ ใ€ŒใŠใชใ‹ใ€ใƒผ Mother
ใŠใคใฟ - Older sister
ๅฐ็ซนใ€Œใ“ใกใใ€- Baby brother
ๅŠ ่—คๆธ…ๆญฃใ€Œใ‹ใจใ† ใใ‚ˆใพใ•ใ€// also ๅผพๆญฃใ€Œใ ใ‚“ใ˜ใ‚‡ใ†ใ€- Ojisan (only distantly related (before marriage))
โ€“ Married to: ใŠใˆใค (sister of ใŠๅฅˆๅŠ )

Friends & Acquaintances
ไป็Ž‹ใ€ŒใซใŠใ†ใ€- Big kid friend
ๆ–ผ็ฆใ€ŒใŠใตใใ€(Nickname - full name: ็ฆๅคช้ƒŽใ€ŒใตใใŸใ‚ใ€) // ๆฅŠๆ™ฏ็ฆใ€Œใ‚ˆใ†ใ‘ใ„ใตใใ€(Chinese name/birth name) - Timid kid friend (older than Hideyoshi)
โ€“ ไบ”้ƒŽๅคงๅคซ ใ€Œใ”ใ‚ ใ ใ‚†ใ†ใ€// ็ฅฅ็‘žใ€Œใ—ใ‚‡ใ†ใšใ„ใ€(Chinese name) - Father
โ€“ ๆขจ็ดใ€Œใ‚Šใใ‚“ใ€- Mother
ๆจๆฌก้ƒŽใ€Œใ™ใฆใ˜ใ‚ใ†ใ€- Previous servant to ไบ”้ƒŽ, later the adoptive father of ๆ–ผ็ฆ, and owner of a tea ware shop - and employer of, and master to, Hideyoshi

Hachisuka Clan
่œ‚้ ˆ่ณ€ๅฐๅ…ญใ€Œใฏใกใ™ใ‹ ใ“ใ‚ใใ€(also ๆญฃๅ‹ ใ€Œใพใ•ใ‹ใคใ€) - Head of the Hachisuka clan
โ€“ ไธƒๅ†…ใ€Œใชใชใ„ใ€- Younger brother
โ€“ Married to ๆพๆณขใ€Œใพใคใชใฟใ€
โ€“ โ€“ ไบ€ไธ€ใ€Œใ‹ใ‚ใ„ใกใ€- Son

Retainers:
็จฒ็”ฐๅคง็‚ŠๅŠฉใ€Œใ„ใชใ  ใŠใŠใ„ใฎใ™ใ‘]
้’ๅฑฑๆ–ฐไธƒใ€Œใ‚ใŠใ‚„ใพ ใ—ใ‚“ใ—ใกใ€
้•ทไบ•ๅŠไน‹ไธžใ€ŒใชใŒใ„ ใฏใ‚“ใฎใ˜ใ‚‡ใ†ใ€
ๆพๅŽŸๅ†…ๅŒ ใ€Œใพใคใฐใ‚‰ ใŸใใฟใ€

Others:
ๅ›ฝๅ‰ใ€Œใใซใ‚ˆใ—ใ€- Gunsmith/blacksmith
ๆธก่พบๅคฉ่”ตใ€Œใ‚ใŸใชใน ใฆใ‚“ใžใ†ใ€- Deserter - Nobushi (Nephew to Koroku)
้›ฃๆณขๅ†…่จ˜ใ€Œใชใ‚“ใฐ ใชใ„ใใ€- Spy disguised as a Komuso
ไป็”ฐๅฝฆๅใ€ŒใซใฃใŸ ใฒใ“ใ˜ใ‚…ใ†ใ€- Subordinate

(่œ‚้ ˆ่ณ€ๆญฃๅˆฉใ€Œใฏใกใ™ใ‹ ใพใ•ใจใ—ใ€- previous head of the Hachisuka clan)

Saito Clan
((questionable) Alliance with the Hachisuka clan)
ๆ–Ž่—ค ้“ไธ‰ใ€Œใ•ใ„ใจใ† ใฉใ†ใ•ใ‚“ใ€- Head of the Saito clan
โ€“ ๆ–Ž่—ค็พฉ้พใ€Œใ•ใ„ใจใ† ใ‚ˆใ—ใŸใคใ€(also: ้ซ˜ๆ”ฟใ€ŒใŸใ‹ใพใ•ใ€) - Son

ๆ˜Žๆ™บ ๅ…‰็ง€ใ€Œใ‚ใ‘ใก ใฟใคใฒใงใ€(common name: ๅๅ…ต่ก›ใ€Œใ˜ใ‚…ใ†ในใ„ใ€) - serves under Dosan
โ€“ ๅˆๅธ‚ใ€ŒใพใŸใ„ใกใ€- Underling / foot soldier

ๅ €็”ฐ ้“็ฉบใ€ŒใปใฃใŸ ใฉใ†ใใ†ใ€- Chief retainer
ๅผฅๅนณๆฒปๅ…‰ๆ˜ฅใ€Œใ‚„ใธใ„ใ˜ ใฟใคใฏใ‚‰ใ€- Retainer (cousin to Jyubei)
โ€“ ๆ˜Žๆ™บๅ…‰ๅฎ‰ใ€Œใ‚ใ‘ใก ใฟใคใ‚„ใ™ใ€- Father
ๆ˜ฅๆ—ฅไธนๅพŒใ€Œใ‹ใ™ใŒ ใŸใ‚“ใ”ใ€- Military commander

Oda Clan
็น”็”ฐ ไฟก้•ทใ€ŒใŠใ  ใฎใถใชใŒใ€- Leader of the Oda clan (Married to the daughter of Saito Dosan)
โ€“ ๅฏๆœˆใ€Œใ†ใฅใใ€- Nobunagaโ€™s faithful, old horse :horse:
โ€“ ็น”็”ฐไฟก็ง€ใ€ŒใŠใ  ใฎใถใฒใงใ€- Father and previous leader of the Oda clan
โ€“ โ€“ ็น”็”ฐไธŽไธ‰้ƒŽใ€ŒใŠใ  ใ‚ˆใ•ใถใ‚ใ†ใ€- Younger brother
โ€“ โ€“ ็น”็”ฐไฟก่กŒใ€ŒใŠใ  ใฎใถใ‹ใคใ€(Other name: ไฟกๆˆใ€Œใฎใถใชใ‚Šใ€) - Son (half-brother to Nobunaga (different mother))

Retainers (Under Nobuhide rule):
ๅนณๆ‰‹ ๆ”ฟ็ง€ใ€Œใฒใ‚‰ใฆ ใพใ•ใฒใงใ€
โ€“ ไบ”้ƒŽๅทฆ่ก›้–€ใ€Œใ”ใ‚ใ†ใ–ใˆใ‚‚ใ‚“ใ€(nickname: ไบ”้ƒŽๅทฆใ€Œใ”ใ‚ใ†ใ–ใ€) - First son
โ€“ ็›ฃ็‰ฉใ€Œใ‘ใ‚“ใ‚‚ใคใ€- Second son
โ€“ ็”šๅทฆ่ก›้–€ใ€Œใ˜ใ‚“ใ–ใˆใ‚‚ใ‚“ใ€- Third son
โ€“ ้›จๅฎฎๅ‹˜่งฃ็”ฑใ€Œใ‚ใ‚ใฟใ‚„ ใ‹ใ’ใ‚†ใ€- Servant
ๆž— ็ง€่ฒžใ€Œใฏใ‚„ใ— ใฒใงใ•ใ ใ€(common name: ๆ–ฐไบ”้ƒŽใ€Œใ—ใ‚“ใ”ใ‚ใ€/ nickname: ไฝๆธกใ€Œใ•ใฉใ†ใ€) (served under Nobunaga too)
โ€“ ็พŽไฝœๅฎˆใ€Œใฟใพใ•ใ‹ใฎใ‹ใฟใ€- Younger brother
้’ๅฑฑ ไฟกๆ˜Œใ€Œใ‚ใŠใ‚„ใพ ใฎใถใพใ•ใ€(common name: ไธŽไธ‰ๅณ่ก›้–€ใ€Œใ‚ˆใใ†ใˆใ‚‚ใ‚“ใ€)
ๅ†…่—ค ๅ‹ไป‹ใ€Œใชใ„ใจใ† ใ—ใ‚‡ใ†ใ™ใ‘ / ใ‹ใคใ™ใ‘ใ€

Retainers (Under Nobunaga rule):
ๆŸด็”ฐๅ‹ๅฎถใ€Œใ—ใฐใŸ ใ‹ใคใ„ใˆใ€(Nickname: ๆจฉๅ…ญใ€Œใ”ใ‚“ใ‚ใใ€)

Others:
ๅธ‚ๅทๅคงไป‹ใ€Œใ„ใกใ‹ใ‚ ใ ใ„ใ™ใ‘ใ€- Archery master/instructor
ๅนณ็”ฐไธ‰ไฝใ€Œใฒใ‚‰ใŸ ใ•ใ‚“ใฟใ€- Master of military strategy
ๆต…้‡Žๅˆๅณ่ก›้–€ใ€Œใ‚ใ•ใฎ ใพใŸใˆใ‚‚ใ‚“ใ€- Military commander
โ€“ ๅฏงๅญใ€Œใญใญใ€- Daughter
ใŒใ‚“ใพใ - Former worker/servant, friend of Hideyoshi

Shiba Clan
ๆ–ฏๆณข็พฉ็ตฑใ€Œใ—ใฐ ใ‚ˆใ—ใ‚€ใญใ€- Head of the Shiba clan, at Kiyosu castle
โ€“ ๆ–ฏๆณข็พฉ้Š€ใ€Œใ—ใฐ ใ‚ˆใ—ใ‹ใญใ€- Son

Imagawa Clan
ไปŠๅท็พฉๅ…ƒใ€Œใ„ใพใŒใ‚ ใ‚ˆใ—ใ‚‚ใจใ€- Daimyo

Retainers:
ๆพไธ‹ไน‹็ถฑใ€Œใพใคใ—ใŸ ใ‚†ใใคใชใ€(common name: ๅŠ ๅ…ต่ก›ใ€Œใ‹ใธใ„ใ€)
้ฃฏๅฐพ่ฑŠๅ‰ใ€Œใ„ใฎใŠ ใถใœใ‚“ใ€
ๅคš่ณ€่ƒฝๅ…ซ้ƒŽใ€ŒใŸใŒใฎใ† ใฏใ—ใ‚ใ†ใ€(nickname: ่ƒฝๅ…ซใ€Œใฎใ†ใฏใกใ€)

Takeda Clan
ๅคช้ƒŽ็พฉไฟกใ€ŒใŸใ‘ใ  ใ‚ˆใ—ใฎใถใ€- Commander
(Married to the daughter of Imagawa Yoshimoto to tie the clans)

Non-affiliated
ไธŠๆณ‰ ไฟก็ถฑใ€Œใ‹ใฟใ„ใšใฟ ใฎใถใคใชใ€(also: ไธŠๆณ‰ ไผŠๅ‹ขๅฎˆใ€Œใ‹ใฟใ„ใšใฟ ใ„ใ›ใฎใ‹ใฟใ€) - Founder of the ๆ–ฐ้™ฐๆตใ€Œใ—ใ‚“ใ‹ใ’ใ‚Šใ‚…ใ†ใ€school of Kenjutsu
โ€“ ็–‹็”ฐๅฐไผฏใ€ŒใฒใใŸ ใ—ใ‚‡ใ†ใฏใใ€- Disciple
โ€“ ็ฅžๅพŒไบ”ๅ…ญ้ƒŽใ€Œใ‹ใ‚“ใ” ใ”ใ‚ใใ‚ใ†ใ€- Disciple

ๅกšๅŽŸ ๅœไผใ€Œใคใ‹ใฏใ‚‰ ใผใใงใ‚“ใ€- Kensei; legendary swordsman

Historical People
  • ้˜ฟๅ€ไปฒ้บปๅ‘‚ใ€Œใ‚ใน ใฎ ใชใ‹ใพใ‚ใ€ใƒผ Japanese scholar & poet (700s)

• ็™ฝๆฅฝๅคฉใ€Œใฏใ ใใ‚‡ใ„ใ€ใƒผ Chinese poet (Bai Juyi / Bo Juyi) also known as: ็™ฝๆฅฝๅคฉใ€Œใฏใ ใ‚‰ใใฆใ‚“ใ€in Japan. (Late 700s)

• ้“ๅ…ƒใ€Œใฉใ†ใ’ใ‚“ใ€(or ้“ๅ…ƒ็ฆ…ๅธซใ€Œใฉใ†ใ’ใ‚“ ใœใ‚“ใ˜ใ€ใƒผ Japanese Buddhist Priest, writer & poet (also known as ๆ „่ฅฟ็ฆ…ๅธซใ€Œใˆใ„ใ•ใ„ ใœใ‚“ใ˜ใ€) (Early / mid 1200s)

• ็ฉบๆตทใ€Œใใ†ใ‹ใ„ใ€ใƒผ The one and only Kukai or Kobo Daishi - a Buddhist monk. Posthumously given the title of: ๅผ˜ๆณ•ๅคงๅธซใ€Œใ“ใ†ใผใ† ใ ใ„ใ—ใ€born as: ไฝไผฏ ็œž้ญšใ€Œใ•ใˆใ ใฎ ใพใŠใ€(late 700s / early 800s)

• ๆบ้ ผๆ”ฟใ€Œใฟใชใ‚‚ใจ ใฎ ใ‚ˆใ‚Šใพใ•ใ€ใƒผ Prominent poet and warrior (1100s)

• ๅนณ ้‡็››ใ€ŒใŸใ„ใ‚‰ ใฎ ใ—ใ’ใ‚‚ใ‚Šใ€ใƒผ Military commander and court noble, claimed to be an ancestor of Oda Nobunaga (Mid-1100s)

• ๆก“ๆญฆ๏ผˆๅคฉ็š‡๏ผ‰ใ€Œใ‹ใ‚“ใ‚€๏ผˆใฆใ‚“ใฎใ†๏ผ‰ใ€ใƒผ 50th Emperor of Japan, claimed to be an ancestor of Taira no Shigemori, thus ancestor to Oda Nobunaga (Mid-Late 700s)

Volume II: 1555 - 15??
(currently 1556)

Oda Clan
็น”็”ฐ ไฟก้•ทใ€ŒใŠใ  ใฎใถใชใŒใ€- Head of the Oda clan
โ€“ ็น”็”ฐ ไฟกๅบƒใ€ŒใŠใ  ใฎใถใฒใ‚ใ€- Older brother
โ€“ ็น”็”ฐ ไฟก่กŒใ€ŒใŠใ  ใฎใถใ‚†ใใ€(also: ไฟกๅ‹ใ€Œใฎใถใ‹ใคใ€) - Younger brother

ๆœจไธ‹ ่—คๅ‰้ƒŽใ€Œใใฎใ—ใŸ ใจใ†ใใกใ‚ใ†ใ€- Hideyoshi
โ€“ ๆœจ่‚ก ๆจฉไธ‰ใ€ŒใใพใŸ ใ”ใ‚“ใžใ†ใ€(Nickname: ใ”ใ‚“ใž) - Servant

ๆต…้‡Ž ๅˆๅณ่ก›้–€ใ€Œใ‚ใ•ใฎ ใพใŸใˆใ‚‚ใ‚“ใ€- Military commander
โ€“ ๅฏงๅญใ€Œใญใญใ€- Daughter
ๆŸด็”ฐ ๅ‹ๅฎถใ€Œใ—ใฐใŸ ใ‹ใคใ„ใˆใ€(nickname: ๆจฉๅ…ญใ€Œใ”ใ‚“ใ‚ใใ€) - Military Commander

ๅฑฑๆทต ๅณ่ฟ‘ใ€Œใ‚„ใพใถใก ใ†ใ“ใ‚“ใ€- Magistrate
โ€“ ๅฑฑๆทต ็พฉ้ ใ€Œใ‚„ใพใถใก ใ‚ˆใ—ใจใŠใ€- Father (Chief Vassal)

Maeda Clan
ๅ‰็”ฐ ๅˆฉๅฎถใ€Œใพใˆใ  ใจใ—ใ„ใˆใ€(childhood name: ็Šฌๅƒไปฃใ€Œใ„ใฌใกใ‚ˆใ€) - Military commander

Saito Clan
ๆ–Ž่—ค ็พฉ้พใ€Œใ•ใ„ใจใ† ใ‚ˆใ—ใ•ใคใ€(also: ้ซ˜ๆ”ฟใ€ŒใŸใ‹ใพใ•ใ€) - Military commander
โ€“ ๅญซๅ››้ƒŽใ€Œใพใ”ใ—ใ‚ใ†ใ€- Brother
โ€“ ๅ–œๅนณๆฌกใ€Œใใธใ„ใ˜ใ€- Brother
โ€“ ๆ–Ž่—ค ้“ไธ‰ใ€Œใ•ใ„ใจใ† ใฉใ†ใ•ใ‚“ใ€- Father

Akechi Clan
ๆ˜Žๆ™บ ๅ…‰็ง€ใ€Œใ‚ใ‘ใก ใฟใคใฒใงใ€(common name: ๅๅ…ต่ก›ใ€Œใ˜ใ‚…ใ†ในใ„ใ€) - Military Commander
ๆ˜Žๆ™บ ๅ…‰ๅฎ‰ใ€Œใ‚ใ‘ใก ใฟใคใ‚„ใ™ใ€- Military Commander and adoptive father of Jyubei
โ€“ ๆ˜Žๆ™บ ็ง€ๆบ€ใ€Œใ‚ใ‘ใก ใฒใงใฟใคใ€- Son, and retainer to Jyubei

Imagawa Clan
ไปŠๅท ็พฉๅ…ƒใ€Œใ„ใพใŒใ‚ ใ‚ˆใ—ใ‚‚ใจใ€- Daimyo

Takeda Clan
ๆญฆ็”ฐ ไฟก็Ž„ใ€ŒใŸใ‘ใ  ใ—ใ‚“ใ’ใ‚“ใ€- Daimyo

Asakura Clan
ๆœๅ€‰ ็พฉๆ™ฏใ€Œใ‚ใ•ใใ‚‰ ใ‚ˆใ—ใ‹ใ’ใ€- Daimyo

21 Likes

:spiral_calendar: Day 49: February 18th :cloud_with_snow:

spacer:scream: ๅค่ฆ‹ใ•ใ‚“ใฏใ€ใ‚ณใƒŸใƒฅ็—‡ใงใ™ใ€‚ Volume 1 (0% โžจ 7%)

spacer:dragon_face: ใƒซใƒชใƒ‰ใƒฉใ‚ดใƒณ Volume 1 (0% โžจ 10%)

spacer:tangerine: orange Volume 7 (0% โžจ 7%)

๐Ÿ” ๅๆŽขๅตใ‚ณใƒŠใƒณ Volume 14 (9% โžจ 16%)

I always enjoy the cases where Ran suspects Conan is Shinโ€™ichi.

spacer:sun_with_face: ๅคขใฟใ‚‹ๅคช้™ฝ Volume 5 (19% โžจ 36%)

A very productive-feeling Saturday!

20 Likes