📚📚 Read every day challenge - Winter 2022 ☃❄

Main Post

Have just finished reading through the little sidechapter and therefore finishing Spy x Family vol 5. The last two chapters in the main story were a bit more difficult to read than the others. I think that’s only fair as they were mission based, new characters and took place in a hospital. Was very tired on wednesday and it got late as well, so that didn’t go as smooth as I wanted. It also took a while for me to extract Fiona’s codename. とばり is how it’s pronounced and it is written as 夜帷. Neither of these immediately made sense to me, until I looked up how they translated it as Nightfall. That was kinda the missing step I needed to piece it together. Then using later I found the sentence 夜のとばりが下りつつある and the circle was complete… until I pieced together this post and had to retrace my steps to find it and also found an idiomatic expression related to it. Either way what should have been obvious, because I have read this manga in English before and all the codenames have a similar theme, wasn’t really that obvious in the moment and that led to this rabbit hole. :sweat_smile:

Anyway, my general impression of volume 5 is that is pretty good. It has a bit of everything you’d expect after a big event in volume 4 and also hinting at a new one. I feel I gotten closer to understanding the series and that the cold war setting is part of its difficulty. The sidechapter (see pics below) was very cute and that’s kinda where I leave it at.

Volume 5 - short mission-

I’ll be taking a pause from Spy x Family for a bit to read something different, starting with Tatsuki Fujimoto’s one-shot Look Back. I have read it before through mangaplus and it’s really good so I was looking forward to the volume release, which I almost immediately bought. Was not a big fan of Chainsawman, but Look Back was the work that made me appreciate Fujimoto as the real deal. It looked a bit daunting to me when I flipped through it last year. Now that I feel like I made a lot of progress, it seems like the perfect time to go back to it and actually read it for the challenge. I’m not entirely sure how long it will take me.

22 Likes