šŸ“ššŸ“š Read every day challenge - Spring 2022 šŸŒø šŸŒ±

I do use Yomichan, but in cases where I canā€™t use it directly on the text, I typically just type the word/sentence I want to look up into some blank text field, then mouse over it with Yomichan in order to decipher it haha rather than using a different dictionary. I prefer my Yomichan setup to other dictionaries because it gives me several different dictionary definitions, including one monolingual one, and it also tells me if a word/kanji is in WK or not.

Plus it gives me the ability to instantly create an Anki flashcard from the word and import in the surrounding sentence, though Iā€™m not at a point where Iā€™m really bothering to mine words from print books. My Yomichan flash cards have all come from digital text. But in the future, I anticipate using it to mine words from print books as well.

My main concern is that I donā€™t want to become too tied down to relying on a reading format thatā€™s compatible with Yomichan if I want to read. I want to be able to buy print books, for example, even though the format is perhaps less conducive to convenient learning. I own plenty of ebooks, but I also enjoy books as physical objects, and some books are only accessible in print form. When reading something, I want my focus to stay on enjoying content that I want to read and not trying to optimize it for learning. I donā€™t want to get to a point where Iā€™m passing up things that I genuinely want to read because theyā€™d be harder to use Yomichan with.

Itā€™s not too different from how I read in Spanish, honestly, which I do mainly by reading print books and then looking up definitions on my phone or computer.

11 Likes

@Belerith I hadnā€™t considered the possibility the kanji was only used for its reading. I remember wondering if it was ć›ć„ćµć, but when I was thinking that I wasnā€™t putting together most anything of the note, so I abandoned the idea. (Only after that did I figure out that the typography seemed to change when a new word began.) Thanks! :smiley:

So yesterday (April 15) I ended up only read like a paragraph of Japanese to be able to get the tick. Waited waaaay too late in the day to do. It is nice to be home and Iā€™m falling back into bad habits at an alarming rate. :joy:

Anyway, today I started with Japanese instead (April 16) so now I finished the first story in the current booklet. I will see if I will read more later.

While I was traveling I spent less time in front of screens, so my eyes are so tired, especially my left eye is like ā€œwhy you looking at screens so much, stop itā€. Also, Iā€™ve decided to try and get up one hour earlier (something I did while traveling) but Iā€™ve been going to bed really late, so today I have shadows under my eyes. If I donā€™t start getting to bed at a good time for the new wake up time, I guess Iā€™m going back to what I did before travels. Meh.

17 Likes

Thatā€™s interesting. If you want to send a ransom note or something in English, itā€™s easy enough to find all the letters you need in a newspaper or magazine. Not necessarily so for all necessary kanji. I guess they could have used kana, but a kanji with the same reading might work as well in a pinch. Surprised to see that in a graded reader though.

3 Likes

Am I really the first one who clicked yes? Was not expecting that haha

I use yomichan on my laptop as well as on my tablet. Sometimes I also read on my kindle, but definitely a lot less often overall. A kindle (or paperback) is definitely nicer in terms of eye strain but as long as I still have to look up as much as I do now yomichanā€™s A+ dictionary functionality is just worth it for me (+ I like using it for mining). The whole reading/look-up process is just a bit faster and more comfortable with yomichan compared to a kindle, IMO. I especially like being able to see a bunch of entries from different dictionaries at once without having to click buttons all the time :sweat_smile:
Maybe Iā€™m just lazy (who am I kidding, I definitely am) but I really like the convenience :laughing:
I think I will probably read more on paper in the future, once vocab isnā€™t as much of a struggle anymore. So far I donā€™t really have any books in mind that donā€™t also have a digital version so I donā€™t have a reason to switch yet :woman_shrugging:

10 Likes

Happy Birthday? 4x

10 Likes

Hey, thank you! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

9 Likes

I was showing my friend a site that estimates how many kanji you know earlier and left it up in chrome. Just came back and realized the one I stopped on was the one in ē„™ēƒ™

Yeah I was pretty surprised too. But I guess the vibe I get from this thread is a lot of people are trying to just get some reading done rather than people who do their studying through books, so I guess it makes sense. People who study intensively with books as their main source of new knowledge probably would answer yes more often.

7 Likes

:open_mouth: Happy birthday!! :partying_face:

Oh hey, I remember that one! :grin: Was one of the first things I read in Japanese I think. On some website though, not a book. Nostalgia.

6 Likes

My only studying at the moment is reading. It may not be especially structured study, but it has helped me see unexpected progress in a relatively short time, much more than actual studying has ever done. I look up every unknown word and every unknown grammar, but I also get much enjoyment from the reading itself. Not sure if others would see it as studying as I donā€™t actually srs anything (yet?), but I know from experience this is the way I learn languages best.

Happy Birthday!!! :birthday: :partying_face:

12 Likes

Why do you think so? Because one can add words from Yomichan to Anki with one click?
All my vocab comes from books, and I use Anki; still I add my cards manually (for one because my card layout is a bit special, and also because adding a word feels like the first review already).
For your other question, I do own a laptop and I use it a lot, but somehow I prefer reading on my phone. Sometimes I use my laptop to look up stuff while reading on my phone :crazy_face:

13 Likes

It just makes sense, really, but the one click is a part of it.

Most people who study intensively are going to care about efficiency and quality of their lookups more probably. The ratio of people who srs quite a bit and get nearly all or all their words from books is also probably higher. When youā€™re reading for 4+ hours a day and your entire studies revolve around it, youā€™re probably a lot more likely to wanna use yomichan compared to someone who reads less and does other stuff. Then you have the fact that kindle and stuff isnā€™t copy pastable.

Its also the fact thatā€¦well, I browse communities of people who do that and from my experience a vast majority uses tools like that. Compared to the 1/11 here, it seems reasonable to think that they probably use those tools more despite the low sample size and nonrandom sampling.

1 Like

It is, itā€™s just incredibly limited. As opposed to kindle on PC, kindle on mobile doesnā€™t add the source to the copied part, so itā€™s preferable for copying. Also thereā€™s the limit they have on how much youā€™re allowed to copy.

That said, I donā€™t like reading on my phone, the screen feels too small. And I donā€™t like reading on PC, the screen is too big :crazy_face: - and also I donā€™t usually feel like starting it up just to read something. So I use a kindle.

Anyway, I also get all of my new words from reading, and I add them to an srs. And since I like sentence mining I actually type out the example sentence, too! Since I add most of my cards on mobile, itā€™s become great practice using kana swipe, haha. Itā€™s not as efficient, sure. But like @NicoleIsEnough said (happy birthday!), that first step is a bit of review/study time for me. :slight_smile:

Efficiency isnā€™t the goal, for me. I have fun reading, and fun learning new words. So I donā€™t mind spending the time.

14 Likes

Oh no kidding, TIL.

Well, let me change that part to include people who intensively study for 4+ hours are probably more likely to do so on PC as well lol.

1 Like

I read multiple hours a day usually, but normally on the phone or tablet. (where lookups work fine). Though, probably over 50% physical now. Reading on the PC just feels uncomfortable; Iā€™d rather do it on the sofa or bed. I add all the words through koohi or jpdb anyway to Anki, so I donā€™t need the added functionality.

Also I probably end up drifting to do other stuff too easily on the PC :stuck_out_tongue:

7 Likes

:house:
16th of April
Day 16

Woooo, 54% ā†’ 75% of å›ćƒŽå£°! With the first few pages of today, I was sort of lost with what was going on. I got the gist, but there was a sentence I couldnā€™t make sense of at all. The rest of the pages were a lot easier.

The panel

Actually, pretty much the entire panel confused me lol.

Bit of a rant about today's reading experience

Thereā€™s a few pages of the manga after each chapter/section that are written in handwriting style, with a fair bit more kanji than the rest of the pages, with no furigana, unlike the rest of the pages! I can read a lot of them thanks to WK, and most are easy to look up because I know the readings, but thereā€™s also a few unknown ones, or words I donā€™t know how to read.

I normally have no difficulty looking them up because I can just quickly handwrite them into google translate using the chinese handwriting input. But today, the input just would not work properly :roll_eyes:. I could write them using the trackpad and click on the right kanji, but then it wouldā€¦ disappear. Nowhere to be seen in the search bar, in Notes, in DeepL, in Google Translateā€¦

My laptop has a lot of problems.

I ended up quickly memorising the shape of the kanji in Bookwalker, double-clicking then writing them into DeepL on my phone. Very time-consuming, especially as I did that a bunch of times. Good thing itā€™s holidays at the moment, or I would never be able to do so.

I read a lot lying down on the sofa, with my laptop on my bent knees and holding my phone in front of it. Itā€™s quite comfortable. I use a MacBook Air though, not sure how that compares with other laptops :slightly_smiling_face:

Aaaand happy birthday @NicoleIsEnough!! :confetti_ball:

21 Likes

It is interesting, but I also feel like level 4 tries to be close to ā€œnormalā€ Japanese, but with restrained vocabulary (and some restraint on grammar too, probably). Perhaps it isnā€™t as much ambiguity though. However, outside graded readers, Iā€™ve mostly read manga, so I canā€™t really compare well.

In any case, it is interesting to introduce such a thing in a graded reader, perhaps they actually just followed how that letter was originally written? I havenā€™t looked into the case outside what was told in the booklet.

Some further rambles: I do find level 4 to be quite good for me at my level. Maybe a touch too easy, but if there is difficulty in a sentence it tends to be only +1, so I can really better understand something I wasnā€™t clear on. And/or I get enough from context that I can just roll with it. Both of those make the difficulty just right for me.

@NicoleIsEnough Happy birthday! :partying_face:

6 Likes

Im not sure if all these people replying to me think I said ā€œallā€ and not ā€œmore likelyā€ and are trying to disagree or just feel like sharing their routine all of a sudden lol

1 Like

For my part I just felt like sharing. It sounded like you were assuming why we voted as we did, and it didnā€™t feel like your assumption applied to me. I assumed you were gathering info since you were interested in that sort of thing, so I guess I also wanted to provide some additional data.

13 Likes

Iā€™m not exactly sure of what you are interested in knowing. I was writing a reply before you wrote this, but it also was me talking about my method of study without using yomichan. I thought youā€™d find it interesting to know why exactly we donā€™t use yomichan. But then again, I donā€™t study for +4 hours a day so Iā€™m not sure if I qualify :sweat_smile: .

5 Likes

Ah no, the one user was just surprised at the low ratio and I figured part of it had to do with the population being asked

Ah, I just never saw people using ttu or any of the textractor+CIT stuff on this forum, so I was curious how many people did.

Just how many people used yomichan for reading, really. I originally only actually had the one poll at the top.

2 Likes