📚📚 Read every day challenge - Spring 2022 🌸 🌱

I may not have caught up just yet, but that doesn’t stop me from posting anyway!

mwehe

7 Likes

Actually your reply (and link) was very useful to me, thanks for posting it. I think I’m gradually getting a clearer picture of ときて. I’ll need to look at it all again more carefully, but for now, the rough translation “on top of that” (rephrased as required) works well enough for me. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Day 14 / Calendar

Finally a single-day update. Today I had a lot of energy and time, which is the ideal condition. I’ve read 9 pages of 夜カフェ in about 1.5 hours, which is a great pace for me, a page every 20 minutes, with me doing other stuff at the same time even.

25 Likes

Replying to the post before last since I broke the reply chain with that one… Last one is here.

It been a bit over a week, always a bit of a struggle to post again after a long break like that.
I have been reading every day though! To keep it a bit less bulky, I’ll just do a summary of what I read in that time rather than daily breakdowns.

7.-14.4.

I have continued reading La quête d’ewilan intensively, and I do feel like it is getting easier (mentally - I still have to look up way too much! :joy:) I’ve been reading at least a little bit of this every day.
For Le petit Nicolas, there was only one day I didn’t read a chapter in this time frame, and that was a very busy day. I didn’t read my joker, the graded reader, at all. Which is fine, let’s keep that for emergencies!

Today, on the 14th, I actually hit 2 ‘milestones’ or major happenings of sorts.
For one, in La quête d’ewilan, today for the first time I read beyond my initial extensive listening. I then listened to the part I’d read afterwards. Currently thinking about whether it might be a good idea to listen to a full chapter first and then re listen to the chunks I read on a given day. Re listening felt good before, but it is a bit more of a time investment. :thinking:
For another, I finished Le petit Nicolas! :partying_face: The story part at least. There ~20 pages of quizzes on the stories and related subjects that look like fun, so I’ll still be doing those (In fact, I did a couple of them already :smiley:), but it does feel like I finished something. :sparkles: With that, I’m about 2 months ahead of the goal I set myself at the beginning of the year, to have finished one book in French within half a year. At this pace it honestly looks like I might be able to finish another by then, too! So, new goal, haha. And then when I’m in Paris for the JLPT in July I can pick up a couple new books and begin a new pile of 積読.

:sparkles: :partying_face:

My progress since last time

Le petit Nicolas (95→157/148p)
La quête d’ewilan: d’un monde à l’autre :headphones: (48→53/334m) :open_book: (3→17%)
A1 5 Minuten-Lektüren Où est le thym (2→NA/20 stories)

28 Likes

Day 14: two weeks already!

なぜ?どうして?かがくのお話1年生: 48% → 58%

Also started reading ハピネス with the current ABBC: 0% → 29%. The thread kept popping up in my forum feed, and I was frustrated as I wasn’t participating in it, and there’s still a month before the next ABBC. So I decided to jump in. This manga is much more interesting than graded readers for first year school students :sweat_smile:

I feel like I should start doing something about the new words I encounter, because I feel like an impostor otherwise :disguised_face: . Maybe start with learning 1 new word per day?

Words I added to SRS today:

• 気をつける - to be careful
  • ほとんど - almost; practically; barely :sweat_smile:
27 Likes

About that… When I first started reading, I did nothing at all about all the new words I encountered (so many!). After a while I started adding them to lists in my dictionary app(s), and from then every once in a while I conscientiously load them to Anki. And then…
:sweat_smile: Yeah, that’s as far as I ever got. Many books later, I still haven’t actively reviewed even a single word. I do run into many of them all the time though, and many have ended up sticking. And many I’m sure I’ll keep looking up forever, getting sick of them before I even remember what they mean. But reading a lot is its own srs in a way, right? Or at least way more fun. :wink:

20 Likes

Agree on both statements! Some words ended up sticking, even though I made no conscious effort to learn them. And some (especially り-adverbs and “helper” words like どう*,そして、だから…), I keep having to look them up again and again.

10 Likes

Happy belated birthday to @Magillou, @Beyond_Sleepy, and @Daisoujou! :cake:

And now that I am home, I can reveal that my “busy” period was traveling. Practicing safe internet habits by not saying I was gone from home. Go me?

I just read my bit of Japanese for the day, finishing the fourth booklet in volume 2, level 4, Ask Graded readers. I have a lot of fun things to share from this booklet that covered bizarre, but real events/crimes that have happened in Japan and one in Canada. (So the third non-fiction booklet in this volume. :exploding_head: Every other volume have one, but this one has 3? What happened?!)

I will share tomorrow. I drove 4,5 hours today to get home and had to cap it with grocery shopping and some unpacking, etc. So me tired :sleeping:

22 Likes

A bit late, but I managed to finish this week’s chapter for Week 2: 佐賀のがばいばあちゃん 👵🏼 (read 8 pages). Now I can finally read the comments in the thread :slightly_smiling_face:

25 Likes

:deciduous_tree::herb::deciduous_tree:
\huge\color{#EACC95}\mathrm{☕️Day 14☕️}
:deciduous_tree::herb::deciduous_tree:

\small \color{ #B9B0A0}\mathrm{★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★}

Today I read another chapter of コナの大ぼうけん. I’m learning more with less effort reading on Satori Reader than when I’m reading よつばと! and translating so I’m reevaluating my approach to reading in light of this. I’d like to keep reading よつばと but for now I’ll make it a weekend thing while reading on Satori most days and see how I like that balance.

\small \color{ #B9B0A0}\mathrm{★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★}

Tooltip

The flowers above the “Day #” links to my post for the previous day, and the flowers below link to the next day, except for the latest day ofc, they link somewhere special :wink:

Replies 🎂

Only by like 7 hours in my case​:ok_hand::ok_hand::ok_hand::stuck_out_tongue:

Yes please🙃

Happy belated birthday Magillou😊

Thank you all for for wishing us happy birthday :slight_smile:
———————
By the way @Daisoujou I went and updated your info in the participant list :stuck_out_tongue:

29 Likes

Summary post :bookmark:

April 14th :seedling:

・薬屋のひとりごと (23% → 26%)

Finished chapter 10. Thoughts: Fellow servants’ perspective on Maomao: A pitiful girl, must protecc. Maomao’s thoughts on yabuisha: Good person, but horrible doctor. Maomao about Jinshi: Beautiful, but an annoying slime. I liked Maomao and Gaoshun’s interaction, they seem to get each other.

Preparing for exams, very endeavor, I ganbaru, much tired.

30 Likes

Day 14 :heavy_check_mark: :cat2:

三毛猫ホームズの推理 ~56% to 60%, end of 3.1

In the end I did feel that this section dragged on a bit, and I didn’t particularly like where it led, but I can’t be too disappointed because there really were some hilarious moments in there. 「まるでヤクザね] :joy: I felt a little bad for 幾子, especially when her looks were being criticized, but she really was rather insufferable, and seemed perfectly unable (or unwilling?) to read Katayama’s indifference to her.

words and expressions I liked

咳払い - clearing one’s throat
言いよどむ - to hesitate to say
尻もち - falling on one’s backside (jisho also says “mochi tied to a baby’s back if he starts walking before his first birthday in order to cause him to fall on his backside” :flushed: What’s up with that??
行儀よくする - to mind one’s manners
頭に来る - to get mad, to get pissed off, to lose one’s cool
余計なお世話 - it’s none of your business
相手が悪い - out of one’s league, outclassed
一同 - all present, all concerned
喚き散らす - to rant and rave
正面から - head-on (eg confronting a problem)
とっとと - quickly, hurriedly, at once (so many と!)

27 Likes

April 14 :cherry_blossom: Home Post

A bit early for me today but I might not be able to post later so now! I finished another bad end and started one of the last two major forks I have left :eyes: The end is getting more and more in sight and things are really about to go down, I’m sure.

I did have a nice little bit where I had on autoplay (because there was a kitty in my lap so I couldn’t press buttons :joy:) and it was totally fine! If it was a section with a bunch of weird vocabulary it would’ve been different, but as it was I was totally comfortable following along at that pace, so that felt pretty cool! Makes me think I should probably try watching anime and such more, subtitle pace might be less of a problem now. Progress! :tada:

28 Likes

April 14th!

After a busy day at work, I have absolutely no attention span at all this evening. :sweat_smile:

Luckily I’d already read 13 pages of ふしぎねこのきゅーちゃん during my lunchbreak today!
I managed to read a chapter of しろくまカフェ this evening too, so I’ve managed to do a reasonable amount of reading altogether.

(Home Post)

28 Likes

Oh thank you so much, haha. It’s occurred to me a few times but I somehow never end up actually changing it. Super glad Satori Reader is already working well for you. By the way, because I forget how upfront they make this part: if you have questions beyond their explanation, you can post them and they’re great about responding to anything with detailed answers.

Happy belated birthday to you too!!!

Summary post

A little better overall, today I read ~5400 characters and it wasn’t too awful. Slowish, but fine. Early on there was some whacky vocab… gotta know about 一斉射撃 (いっせいしゃげき), “volley firing.” Somehow that didn’t make it into Genki back when I did those books. The one particularly hard section, which luckily didn’t last too long, was a harsh rebuking of チャーハン cooking techniques. Specialized vocabulary really brought me back to those beginner days of literally 6+ unknowns in a sentence, oof. Otherwise I did fine though, and there were some nice longish sentences with words I know well enough by now that proved that I can feel out a little more grammar better, and that I’ve learned a lot of words in the past month or so. Whether through coincidental WK levelling or SP vocabulary, there are some words I’m running into nonstop recently, which is nice.

The story is taking its turn into seriousness more or less now. Parenting is a clear theme going on with this one. I don’t know how hard it’s going to lean into it, but there were a few suggestions of touching on work turning Japanese dads borderline absent in their children’s lives which I’m here for if it wants to really go there.

Two new words/phrases that excite me today. First, 腹の虫が鳴く (はらのむしがなく), to rumble (stomach). So… the stomach bugs are crying? I love and hate that. Second, お袋の味 (おふくろのあじ). Super straightforward, mom’s home cooking. It’s a sweet one.

And with that, I’ll keep reading something that isn’t Summer Pockets as much as I can, shouldn’t be breaking the streak, but after today I won’t be updating for a few days. See ya again soon. :slightly_smiling_face:

29 Likes

I swear bugs come up in the weirdest places (for me) in Japanese. 虫がいい (selfish) and 虫が好かない (dislike) I always forget the meaning of and either have to guess from context or check. 虫の息 (dying breath) comes up a lot and always makes me giggle during inappropriate scenes. There’s a whole bunch of 虫 related ことわざ (see here) which makes me think bugs are the horses of the East…at least for idioms :stuck_out_tongue:

11 Likes

April 10th-14th :cherry_blossom: :cat2: :cherry_blossom: (Days 10-14)

Home post

Yet another bunch of busy days… Been feeling extremely exhausted - really looking forward to getting some extra sleep over Easter. I could only bring myself to read one or two NHK easy articles daily, so I don’t feel like I have much to report on. Though I did find this incredibly cute one today: 三重県みえけん水族館すいぞくかん 「スナドリネコ」のあかちゃんが人気

Just how fumken precious are these lil beans. I can’t get over the video of them squealing and fighting. Best damn article ever :cat2: :cat2: :cat2:

Happy belated birthday @Beyond_Sleepy, @Daisoujou and @Magillou! :birthday: :birthday: :birthday:

28 Likes

I read chapter 10 of 夜カフェ today, the first time I’ve read a whole chapter on a workday! やった!

Also I think I read an NHK article first thing in the morning (Todai pops them up on my phone’s notification bar) but I seriously can’t remember what it was about. That’s the problem with reading pre-coffee.

Oh wait, it was the same article @Greti33 read!

31 Likes

Two can play at that game …! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: Have you checked out miraibunko.jp yet? :star_struck:

4 Likes

Summary Post

April 14
Shadow Tactics: Blades of the Shogun

Another day, another mission. Not a lot of vocabulary again. The game is fun and all, but language wise… I don’t think it’s going to teach much. Not because I know everything, which I definitely don’t, but because dialogue is rather short and super fast, and there’s no way to stop it so I end up missing words that are worth looking up. I understand enough to see what I need to do in the mission and some more details about the story. But all in all, I don’t think it’s being very productive. I don’t know, we’ll see.

Also happy belated birthday @Magillou , missed your mention yesterday :slight_smile: .

26 Likes