📚📚 Read every day challenge - Spring 2022 🌸 🌱

:tiger2: :books: Tanuki Den (aka Homepost): Date 20220416 :cherry_blossom: :raccoon:

Tanuki Scroll XVI: 頭をそられた男 :fox_face:

Read today’s folktale, from Yamanashi Prefecture!

VERY BIG STRONG MAN returns and claims he has never ever been fooled by the likes of silly tanuki or foxes.

But today, he is very much bamboozled by a fox.

I love that foxes (or tanuki) put a leaf on their heads to transform.

:seedling: Japanese found in the tall grass :seedling:

New Words

ドロン ー Slipping away; vanishing; absconding
重箱 「じゅうばこ」ー Multi-tiered food box

Some replies

Really nice photos!! I love the last one with the fire pit looking out into the lake, so tranquil!

What on earth ?? :rofl:
I know you didn’t actually write-write this but it was easier than trying to quote the picture without it vanishing into the unknown when putting it in a details tag

Happy birthday!! :birthday:

26 Likes

Easter is my holiday, so thank you! It will be quiet for me, which is great!

Also Nicole, Happy Birthday to you!

8 Likes

Day 16 - Calendar

Today I continued with 魔女の宅急便 where I left off yesterday. I read from the middle of page 44 to page to page 61 and finished chapter 3.

@NicoleIsEnough Happy Birthday :partying_face: :birthday:

25 Likes

ohhh, yeah that’s what the chapter was about, tho I must have missed something because I can’t remember the part you mentioned in parenthesis :thinking: That’s probably why I couldn’t remember, kinda felt like nothing special happened. I’ll have to do a reread

hmm

5 Likes

Happy birthday to @NicoleIsEnough & belated birthday @Beyond_Sleepy, @Daisoujou and @Magillou! :tada::tada::tada: My birthday is tomorrow so will also be joining the April gang.

Last few days have been very full on work-wise. I have some ridiculous deadlines that I’m pretty much for certain not going to be able to meet and as a result been having to work 9am till 9/9.30pm last few days of the week. My big deadline is Tuesday midday so will either be way less stressed after then or way more if I miss it :sob::sob:

Anyway, this is relevant cos it means I’ve barely been reading, just been managing a sub chapter part of すべてがfになる each day (which are generally pretty short, maybe 5-10 pages). I’m at 81% now and one of the main characters keeps being like “I’ve solved the case!” but not actually sharing what has been solved, and I’m getting very impatient lol.

The only other reading I have done is some Japanese tweets, both tokimeki fan comics and also some Japanese folks talking about ‘Our Flag Means Death’ cos me and my boyfriend finished that show the other day and I’m 100% obsessed. Need to find me some gay pirate manga or LN to tide me over to S2 :smile:

28 Likes

April 16th!

Today I really needed to get some housework done before we have friends over tomorrow.

So instead I read Chapter 4 of Happiness, though I was only meant to read the first half for the ABBC!
Then I also read the first chapter of Volume 6 of Teasing Master Takagi-san.

Guess I’m staying up late to do the cleaning now… :grin:

(Home Post)

Happy birthday @NicoleIsEnough :tada: :birthday:

26 Likes

Today was a good day for reading: I read the remaining part for Week 3: 佐賀のがばいばあちゃん 👵🏼 (11 pages). The book is okay. A fairly easy read with slice of life scenes of the author living with his grandmother.

25 Likes

Day 16 / Calendar
I had a lot to do today, it was about 11 pm when I got to my PC (that’s where I find reading the most comfortable, which is important if you’re struggling with reading). Luckily, since this is the easiest week of ABBC imho, it was quite easy to get through this week’s material. Took me 30-ish minutes to get through 6 pages worth of dialog, great progress.

I would love to go back and see how I did the first week. We’re at the end of the first quarter of the challenge and it would be nice to see how much I improved in only 2 weeks or so. I feel like a lot, but would be great to have some data.

25 Likes

Day 16

なぜ?どうして?かがくのお話1年生: 60% → 63%

Read about worlds biggest flowers that smell like poop and rotting flesh to attract insects that normally eat this. I was tired and only looked up 3 words (there were more unknown words than that). I think I got the gist anyway, as illustrations helped.
死骸しがい - dead body
うんち - poop
臭いくさ - smelly

みんなの日本語初級I: 0% → 4%

Also read through first chapter of first part of みんなの日本語. I came back to it because I had my first one-on-one lesson with a Japanese tutor and most of what I was able to say came from what I learned from MNN (drill exercices seem to work) or Tobira Beginning Japanese. I hope I stick with the textbook this time.

25 Likes

WIN_20220416_17_10_12_Pro

I finished eight pages. Two children and Dad prepare a birthday party for Mom.

New vocabulary:

だれ
誰も no one, with a negative verb

サンドイッチ sandwich

れいぞうこ
冷蔵庫 refrigerator

27 Likes

:seedling::deciduous_tree::seedling:
\huge\color{ #A3E4D7}\mathrm{🌿Day 16🌿}
:seedling::deciduous_tree::seedling:

\small \color{ #A3E4D7}\mathrm{★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★}

Today I chose to keep reading about コナ, having it “easy” is pretty motivating. Whereas before I looked forward to reading よつばと!every day, I now compare it to Satori Reader and go “… nah, I’d rather do that” … :sweat_smile: Well, I’ll get back to よつば eventually. The important thing is I’m maintaining/reinforcing a reading habit and learning a lot :upside_down_face:

\small \color{ #A3E4D7}\mathrm{★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★}

Tooltip

The flowers above the “Day #” links to my post for the previous day, and the flowers below link to the next day, except for the latest day ofc, they link somewhere special :wink:

messages/replies

Also, happy birthday @NicoleIsEnough :birthday::tada::balloon: and thanks for the belated birthday greeting @sycamore :grin:

Thank you:) it’s the Norwegian^^; Sea tho (somehow I felt mildly offended on behalf of the ocean :ocean::joy:)

28 Likes

Summary post :bookmark:

April 16th :seedling:

・薬屋のひとりごと (26% → 28%) (again)

I reread chapter 11. Also reading the comments in the book club thread helped. Can’t believe I missed the part where Maomao literally says the lady probably faked the whole sleepwalking situation. So turns out court lady didn’t want to be a court lady and woo the emperor, but would rather prefer to be with her childhood friend the military officer. Unless I misread again, 1 am is not a good time to be awake.

Yay, can continue reading as normal tomorrow. Rereading stuff due to confusion is not my favorite activity.

oh btw, this word sounds so not English, like a deep sea creature dwelling in the land of cursed words creeping its way up on the shore to show its face. Like one of these especially cursed durtles.

Yeah, I should go to sleep

30 Likes

:shamrock: :blossom: :seedling: Link to Home Thread :seedling: :sheep: :shamrock:

Is it ironic that I missed a day just on the same day I posted last time… when I had JUST posted that I found the material pretty good for every day reading? Oopsie. Well, never mind. Luckily I have not missed another day since. Though yesterday when I wasn’t at home it was also more of a last minute thing…

I’m mostly reading ハピネス and am like three quarters through volume 3! I did not really look up anything about the series before reading and I was caught a little of guard by how dark it actually is so far. Still pretty hooked though! After I found Death Note pretty draining I actually thought I wouldn’t read a manga for a while… then I thought “wellll, first three volumes are free, I should at least give it a try”… and now here I am, fairly certain I’m gonna read the whole series and it will be most of my reading for this challenge :sheep:

28 Likes

No, you got it!

… but it is right? :fearful:
thought process:

1. write the French word
  2. change “-isme” into “-ism”
  3. bam, English word.

Checking, yes it is. I missed the much more common alternative, though.

13 Likes

Want it in the form of listening practice? Had to go search this up, but I just knew BL pirates had come up before:

I’ve heard it before, but it’s definitely uncommon these days. Last time I saw it referenced was ah…a silent film. :joy:

10 Likes

Summary Post

April 16
Shadow Tactics: Blades of the Shogun

Vocabulary
  • 報復 = ほうふく retribution, revenge.
  • 不可欠 = ふかけつ indispensable, essential.
  • 気絶 = きぜつ fainting, losing consciousness.

25 Likes

Oh intruiging! I’m not entirely sure the best way to get hold of drama CDs from the UK but the LNits based on is available digitally so will give that a bit of a read and if it seems promising then try to figure out how to get hold of the CDs :thinking: thanks!

5 Likes

Summary Post

Day 16: April 16th
What did I read?: ふしぎ駄菓子屋銭天堂 Vol 2
How much did I read?: 14 pages
How long did it take me?: 1 hour 4 min

Read a whole chapter today! This one was interesting because one of the featured characters from the first book returned :o I low-key forgot about him (it has been a while since I read the first one lol) but at the end, I was like oh yeah that guy xD Once again getting outsmarted by Beniko, albeit indirectly this time xD He deserves it~ He apparently hired a detective to try and find Beniko because he was still mad lmao, but that backfired big time. I love how the detective hates this guy, too. Literally no one likes him :joy:

Good words
  • しっぺ返し (しっぺがえし) - returning tit for tat; retaliating
  • なにげなく - unintentionally; calmly; inadvertently; innocently
  • 横柄 (おうへい) - arrogant; haughty; insolent
  • 身を乗り出す (みをのりだす) - to bend oneself forward (esp. in curiosity or excitement); to hang out (e.g. over a balcony)
  • ひっきりなし - continually; continuously; incessantly; without interruption​
  • つぎたす - to top up (drinks, water, rice, etc.); to replenish
  • 悪態をつく (あくたいをつく) - to use abusive language; to curse; to call someone names
  • ぽつねんと - solitarily; in a lonely fashion; all alone; by oneself why is there onomatopoeia for being alone :joy:
  • 厚紙 (あつがみ) - cardboard; thick paper the logic of this word pleases me
  • 復讐 (ふくしゅう) - revenge
  • 気晴らし (きばらし) - recreation; diversion; relaxation
  • まっぴら - (not) by any means; (not) for anything; wouldn’t do for anything; had enough; flatly refusing​ I like the kanji of this, it’s 真っ平

@NicoleIsEnough Happy birthday! :tada::birthday::balloon:

30 Likes
I want to vent. I don't want to end the Easter Triduum in a bad mood so I decided to complain out loud in a safe place.

This evening, I was at the longest Easter Vigil that I could ever remember attending. Now that the COVID-19 measures are lifted, we can have full church attendance. We didn’t have any baptisms taking place and we didn’t do all the readings, yet the Mass took a whole three hours before it was done. The Vigil started at 6:30 pm but I had to be there an hour before for choir rehearsal. We finished after nine in the night but I had to wait almost an hour afterwards before I could go home. My brothers were altar servers and had to help pack up the church but my mother decided to take the chance to chat with other attendees. If I didn’t start acting vex, she might have chatted longer. I still had to chores to do when I came home and it’s that time of the month for me: TMII’m on my period.

In any case, I didn’t want to lose my streak so I still read a few pages of しゅごキャラ! 1 today. I also have a reading streak going on my Kindle app. I don’t want to have to restart it for the fourth time this year so I also read a few pages on my Kindle.

Happy birthday and many returns of the day! @NicoleIsEnough

27 Likes

April 16

Finished chapter 1 of Spy x Family. Turns out it was a long chapter! May read some more or something else before the end of tonight.

Progress on Tadoku graded readers
44 / 44 level-zeros
12 / 12 level-ones
1 /10 level-twos
x / 18 level-threes

31 Likes