📚📚 Read every day challenge - Spring 2022 🌸 🌱

I can’t do that here (or any styling I think)

But if it’s in here… than it’s just
Like this?かんじ
<ruby>Like this?<rt>[spoiler]かんじ[/spoiler]</rt></ruby>

[details=" Here, I’ll try!かんじ "]
Ah. Nope. The “hide details” tag breaks :expressionless:
[/details]

6 Likes

Day 3 / Calendar

The day might not be over yet, we’ll see, just did some morning reading because I’m not sure if I’ll be free later tonight.
I’ve read 4 pages of 夜カフェ sofar. This feat took me 1 hours and 11 minutes, so around 18 minutes a page. Considering the wall of text aspect of it, I think this is acceptable for now. For reference, the recommended amount for this week comes out to about 15 pages, which I would be able to achieve at this rate in about 4 days

27 Likes

Home post

Day 1:

日本語: I read a fair amount of ミニスカ宇宙海賊, a bit of からかい上手の高木さん 17 (and finished it), and a bit of ヨコハマ買い出し紀行.

中国語: I read an intermediate entry on Mandarin Bean, two pages of some random 漫画 (apparently called 骑士幻想夜), and a bit of 孩子最爱读的中国民间故事.

29 Likes
Apr
01 02 03
04 05 06 07 08 09 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30
May
02 03 04 05 06 07 08
09 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
30 31
29 Likes

You complete those checkmarks by putting an X in the middle by the way

[X ] (without the space) turns into .

4 Likes

:tulip: April 2 :tulip: :house:
Fixed up my Bookmeter
Read: 夜カフェ
Finished first 1/2 of Chapter 2 (8 pages)
Time:16 minutes
Read this week’s part for the Beginner’s book club. This (and the Jack Jeanne light novel) are my first times reading Japanese novels so I’m not really used to reading vertically. I still occasionally lose my spot or accidentally reread a line but it feels like I’m starting to adjust the more I read.

New Vocab

a lot of onomatopoeias
もたもた dawdling; tardily
どっかり flumping (into a chair)
ぐったり wearily; listlessly
引き出し drawer
押しのける to push aside

28 Likes

There is another way for details tag => vanilla HTML.

Like this?

かんじ

<details>
<summary><ruby>Like this?<rt>

[spoiler]かんじ[/spoiler]

</rt></ruby></summary>

That's right. 

</details>

2 enter’s below the last tag will make Markdown possible inside HTML.

10 Likes

Home Post

Yesterday I went to the sauna again (after quite the break, for various reasons) and read a nice chunk of The Little Prince. Afterwards I convinced @Myria to read this week’s assignment of 佐賀のがばいばあちゃん to me while I was cutting some vegetables. This way we could both read the section AND get food at the same time! The nicest thing was that I could not only make her rewind and replay sentences just by voice control, she also has a built-in dictionary functionality that I could access to get explanations of unknown words. 5/5 would definitely use this service again :grin:

39 Likes

Home post

I read 三毛猫ホームズ🐈 chapter 1, part 2. It was 20 pages and since it’s the beginning of the book, and we’re establishing the setting with new vocab, and I’m not used to the style yet, that felt like a lot. I’m glad the next section will be shorter.

@omk3
I used to live in Tokyo, so I notice place details when a story is set there. There are a lot of parts of the city I never had occasion to go to, so I don’t always recognize everything. But the places mentioned so far have been on the train lines I often took.

24 Likes

It really was a lot! I had to break it into two parts, even if I had already read the first part before.

I’d be very interested in your comments if you notice anything that may go over the head of a reader with absolutely no local knowledge (like me) then. :slight_smile:

7 Likes

Here’s my contribution to this challenge.

Apr
01 02 03
04 05 06 07 08 09 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30
May
02 03 04 05 06 07 08
09 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
30 31
28 Likes

I’m a little late to the party, but I’d love to join this challenge with all of you! I’m planning a trip and starting a new job very soon, but learning Japanese is still a big priority for me. It’s been a goal of mine to read more (and learn more grammar) this year, so this is right up my alley. I won’t maintain a home post with a calendar, but I’ll pop in and write updates occasionally :smiling_face: :smiling_face: It’s also really entertaining to see what everyone else is reading!

Right now I’m reading ハピネス volume 1 with the book club, articles on NHK News Easy, and also working my way through the Ace Attorney trilogy on my 3DS!

33 Likes

That assessment is making a lot of sense now that I think about it. It still doesn’t feel like upper N2 grammar but I am only a few pages in so I will re-evaluate at a later point in time. It just kinda made me question my own abilities when seeing that.

Also makes sense. Then again I’ve been binge-watching 名探偵コナン while crocheting/stitching so it is safe to say that while I might not be able to read all the kanji, the vocabulary is very familiar, lol.
I call it the Latin Learner Problem - murder, politics and war? Not a problem. Holding an everyday conversation and asking how someone is? Nope.

Yeah, that sounds somewhat familiar. I’m taking it as a reminder to dig out my 電子辞書 from wherever I stashed it :sweat_smile:

First off: Thanks for welcoming me :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: The website is a great idea I’d love to see expanded on.
Again, it makes sense that books of the same series are about the same level. I’ve read 容疑者Xの献身 partially in German (DNF due to various reasons outside my control) so my understanding of its difficulty might be even more skewered towards easy because I know partially what is going on.
I’ll give the thread a good scroll to see what is going on/what the plans for the page are. I might have a suggestion but I’ll give it a good thinking-over first.

14 Likes

Doing end of week posts instead of daily.
Short daily updates are in my home post.

3 days into the challenge! I finished 人狼サバイバル 絶体絶命! 伯爵の人狼ゲーム which I was halfway through at the start of the challenge.

Some no spoiler thoughts on 人狼サバイバル 絶体絶命! 伯爵の人狼ゲーム

Had a great time reading. The theme was interesting. Because the story is told from the protagonist’s point of view, I was as confused (and even a little bit anxious!) as the protagonist to what’s going to happen next throughout the story.

I’m not sure if the series is going to be a continuous plot from one book to the other or will it be more episodic. I hope it’s the former. Will be getting the next book in the series to find out.

General reading experience thus far

Tbh, I encountered many words I didn’t know or grammar that I’ve yet to learn. But my main objective for reading now is to get used to… reading, hah. So my strategy was to simply continue reading without stopping to look things up.

I could eventually infer the meaning of some words as I continued the story, but there were also some which I couldn’t. For the words I could infer, some appeared so frequently that I eventually learnt them. For those that I couldn’t, they didn’t affect my understanding of the overall plot which was nice.

I plan to revisit a book in detail if I find myself still stumbling with certain words or grammar after awhile. But for now, I’ll be focusing on simply moving forward. Go go go!

The book clubs just started a new week, so I’m in the middle of reading through the chapters for them now (ハピナス and 夜カフェ(1)). Will pick up a new book starting next week!

27 Likes

just got to this one and I think it’s actually 大島ーおおしま :cat2:

8 Likes

:rofl: Of course it is! I suffer from kanji blindness, apparently :sweat_smile:
Everyone please disregard my list until I get over it…

8 Likes

It’s been awhile since I read 容疑者Xの献身 but I suspect it got bumped a little higher into the 30s because there’s a little bit more poetic flare to the writing and IIRC the author goes off on tangents about chess which is definitely outside the expected vocab for a book on murder.

I feel this so much hahaha. I mostly read crime novels and watch crime shows. I have an extensive vocab around types of death, names of crimes, body parts, etc but yesterday someone was asking me for details about the library I was at in Japanese and my mind just…blanked. I struggled through some explanations but man, explaining a murder plot to my tutor vs. explaining library membership details was a trip. The words are there in my passive vocab but not in my active. :sweat:

As for reading - yesterday I picked up 三毛猫ホームズの推理 and read the first 18 pages which puts me at part 1, end of section 1. I’ll start ch. 1 section 2 today and see how far I can get - I’m trying to get decently caught up to everyone.

I will say that compared to the other 赤川 books I’ve read, I would rank this one as more difficult. He’s using a far wider array of vocabulary and the writing has more “poetic flair” as I call it. It’s not a huge jump, but I don’t think I’ve ever seen him describe a character in such detail as he did 片山, nor use such pretty turns of phrase in general. I wonder if because this is his long running series and I’ve been reading his one-offs. Maybe these are his pride-and-joy books and the one-offs were just quick cash on the side. :thinking:

Nah, it’s still helpful. Think of it as crowdsourcing information and you provided the initial template. :slight_smile:

14 Likes

I’m glad to hear it, because I had seen you describe his writing as simple and I was wondering why I was having trouble with some phrases, and why I was enjoying others so much :grin: He really seems to take joy in his descriptions in this one.

You’re too kind. My excuse is that I was already tired and it was late at night when I compiled it, but I really seem to have not entered a single name correctly :joy:

6 Likes

If you get a chance, read the 試し読み on this book - 夜警. That’s far more representative of his writing that I’ve read so far. Very straight forward, shorter sentences, dialogue heavy.

5 Likes

Day 3 has come and I read another page. Sadly, not much dialogue and a lot of words I had to look up - including one word I remember when I learned it first but could not remember for the life of me remember the reading :sweat: Granted, it was also used in a context that I didn not know before:

それでも草薙を見る目には警戒心が宿っていた。

So far, I only knew it in the context of “staying a night somewhere (an inn or hotel)” not in the context of a certain feeling staying in someone’s eyes. Fun to learn.

The last sentence of the page, while easy to understand was pretty hard to translate and I’m still not happy with it. I might have to look over it again and dissect it on paper to turn it into a proper German sentence.

25 Likes