📚📚 Read every day challenge - Fall/Autumn 2021 🍁🍂🦝

Thanks!
I’ll keep the part about switching between characters in mind. Overall seems like book is pretty interesting.

Right now I’m reading ahead of time and started chapter 2. I also took volume 2 into account. Though I think I can slow down and just read both Wadanohara and Deer King simultaneously. :thinking:

1 Like

At first the author published the series of four books, which I read. Some time later she released a fifth book, which is still on my tsundoku pile :sweat_smile:

Agreed! I found it to be a real page turner during some sections.

To clarify this a bit: There are two independent main story lines, and the book (which is organized into numbered sections and subsections) switches between them with each new subsection (most of the time). So it’s not really jumping around but rather switching back and forth. But I agree with Naphthalene that there are a lot of characters being introduced in both story lines, and they basically all play a role at some point later in the book. I ended up taking notes for who is who :sweat_smile: (This is the author’s style btw, she is very strong on world-building and tells a lot of the background story of the world, which of course also plays a role in the overall narrative.)

I loved the general setting (medieval fantasy), and I loved both main characters (from the two story lines). But! :grin: There’s a bit of a thing going on where they try to find out what happened and why, and so they keep speculating about what it might be, and keep repeating what they currently know and what the theories are (in a very deep way, with lots of complicated - to me - vocabulary), and those passages I found very tiring (especially in volumes 3 and 4). I had several points where I thought I should drop the book for good, but then it switched over to the other story line, and it was again so great that I just couldn’t stop. :woman_shrugging:
So overall, yes I liked it quite a bit. But I’m having a hard time to unconditionally recommend it.

Oh btw, @Vanilla if you want to extend your vocabulary in the (mild spoiler ahead) medical realm, and if you are into medieval fantasy (maybe not? :thinking:) then this might be something for you actually… (Can provide a few vocab-heavy sample pages if you are interested.)

9 Likes

Thank you for your detailed input!
Sounds good in general, so I’ll give it a try.

It’s going to be a noticeable jump in difficulty though, so wish me luck I guess.

4 Likes

Sure, I’ll take a look! What I kinda decided on was actually genre jumping and just finding stuff on the harder side within that genre if I can since I’ve been pretty limited to slice of life/romcom so far. I’ve got some fantasy and military themed stuff lined up, but medical seems like a good one too. although with my small tsundoku I’m trying to clear and the other books I have lined up, it may be 20+ books till I get to it :upside_down_face:

6 Likes

Super late, but I just made my first purchase of actual novels in Japanese so I might as well supplement my studying with some peer pressure as I get through them.

Currently reading 私の穴がうまらない and No.6 and 秋の牢獄 is next! (yeah I’m catching up with the intermediate book club.

I track all my study activity in an old-fashioned notebook so I suspect I will promptly forget about this page, but alas.

Sept
01 02 03 04 05
06 07 08 09 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30
Oct
01 02 03
04 05 06 07 08 09 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30 31
18 Likes

Home post - September 17th - read 1.5 pages of 大海原と大海原 from chapter 4.

Today's words

海月 くらげ / クラゲ Jellyfish - although it looks like this takes a bunch of different forms.
バカンス vacation from the French… vacances (this got me)
無理する to work too hard, to push oneself too hard
途中 とちゅう en route, on the way

17 Likes

Summary

September 16
:maple_leaf: 16
total: 83/100

• 生命式 (47 → 49%)

September 17
:maple_leaf: 17
total: 84/100

• 生命式 (49 → 53%) (story 8/12)
15 Likes

Yesterday’s reading was another slow page and a half of 魔女犬ボンボン in the morning, and the first mini-chapter of Chi’s Sweet Home in the evening.

Today though! I read 3.5 pages, in around the same or less time than it took me to read 1.5 pages the last couple days. The flow was much better, which made it much more enjoyable. The prince’s retainer (in an effort to keep the prince from running amok out of boredom) is recounting rumors about a corgi puppy who became a witch’s familiar, and seems to even have his own magic as well! (That would be ボンボン).

18 Likes

:ballot_box_with_check: Day 17

Read section 2, the rest of chapter 5 in 手紙! Phew, that was a looong chapter.

:raccoon: :raccoon: Main Post :raccoon: :raccoon:

14 Likes

Reading Update: 9月14日〜16日

Materials:

:white_check_mark: ふらいんぐうぃっち1
:red_square: 授乳
:red_square: 月刊少女野崎くん3

In a move that was pure me, I messed up calculating what time it would be for me when ふらいんぐうぃっち1was no longer free to read. (As it turns out, I can still read the full volume because I added it to my cart and “bought” it? Thought it was a time limited one, but in the end, I guess not.) The plus side to my mishap was that I finished reading it well before time was up. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

Overall, I liked it a lot! The characters all have their subtle quirks, they get into cute situations that slowly expand the world of witches, and it was just a nice, relaxing read. I might pick up more volumes the next time Bookwalker does one of those coin back specials.

Some cute screenshots that I liked

I would gladly accept this mandrake. Just look how happy she is!

Where's My Chito Navi

I…I want a Chito Navi…

For real, though, I love this cat.

授乳 is still going slow. :sweat_smile: I swear, I keep coming across words I’ve known the reading to for years, and yet I stare blankly at the kanji…I’ll keep chugging along, though.

I read a little of 野崎くん yesterday right before bed to keep the streak alive. I have family visiting, and it looks like they’re expecting me to be with them from morning 'til night for the next four days. :upside_down_face: That manga’s probably going to be the main thing I read until their trip is over. The section I read yesterday focused on 野崎’s editor (剣さん), who apparently went to both high school and college with 野崎’s old, tanuki-obsessed editor (前野)? It was amusing. :grin:

Clearly 前野 works for the wrong magazine. If only there was one that published a tanuki-centric manga, if even that exists? :thinking: :wink:

:house_with_garden: (click for home post)

16 Likes

Home post

Day 16:

日本語: I read a lot of ミステリと言う勿れ (finished v9 and am caught up :sob:), some of それでも歩は寄せてくる, a bit of スキップ・ビート, and a bit of 魔王城でおやすみ. ETA: also some of のだめカンタービレ. /eta

中国語

中国語: I read 雨水.

14 Likes

It’s not actually on the harder side language-wise, most of it is very accessible. But there are some dense passages with lots of weird vocab…

goes off and flicks through books

Or maybe not? Looking through the first two books again, I could not find much that was really that weird (from my current perspective) so maybe it was just a more beginner me being overwhelmed? :woman_shrugging: I did not want to go as far as books 3 and 4 (where I remember most of the dense and boring stuff was happening) because that would be massive spoilers in case you want to read it at all.

7 Likes

Lmao that cracked me up. I know that feel.

But it doesn’t have to be hard necessarily, just at least average I guess. What I noticed was that across genres, there’s just so many words that I wouldn’t have seen since basically all my books have been modern Japan futsu life. So long as it doesn’t have blatantly simple writing despite being a new setting/theme (e.g. konosuba), I’ve noticed a good amount of new words. Its just that within valid choices for the same theme, I’d prefer to go with the one with harder writing to maybe get some grammar icing on the vocabulary cake. For the medicine category, I currently have no other contenders so it’s not like the difficulty would be too much of an issue.

One example is re zero vs unnamed memory for the fantasy slot. Ive read the web novel for re zero and have the first light novel (unfinished :upside_down_face:), but I wanna try out unnamed memory since I heard the writing was hard and I’ll just stick with whichever feels like it’ll benefit me more assuming I like UM.

5 Likes

Today I didn’t have much time to read. Somehow instead of reading I spend my time browsing sites and buying books. One of the books I bought I started reading right away パラサイト・イヴ.

It’s the book the Parasite Eve games are based on. I managed to read the first four sentences or so. I want to be finished with it until Christmas Eve. Until now book reading seemed to be impossible for me, maybe this time I will actually finish reading a book in japanese.

14 Likes

9月17日:
Day 10

What did I read:

• 大海原と大海原, Pages 34-42

I’m done with chapter 2. Was able to read last pages smoothly with almost no looking up for things! Kuromaki goes to do her own tasks, telling to Wadanohara that she will meet them later. Party successfully reached Sea Country, but is stopped by Sakemichi.

Words I didn’t know: 結局, 詫び, 特別, 立ち去る

P.S. I successfully bought 鹿の王 on Booklive today, and will start reading it tomorrow alongside with Wadanohara (on which I’m planning to slowdown a bit, since I’m going a little bit too much ahead of Book Club schedule).

15 Likes

Yay! Please tell me how you like it :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Summary post

September 17
・Read Honzuki 6. (10% → 13%)

I just remembered I left off at a place where something happened to one of the characters, but now I’m too tired to read and check it out xD

Fellow Haikyuu fan :eyes: :sparkles: :volleyball: Was the first manga series I read in Japanese :3

Sounds like there’s no 5G in the microchip after all :eyes:
…And a compartment to the super secret kanji in brain? 0: :secret: :brain:

13 Likes

Will do!
Might also occasionally poke you with questions, if that’s okay. :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

I’d be delighted!
(Doesn’t mean I will be able to answer them, though :sweat_smile:)

3 Likes

:fallen_leaf: :raccoon: .☆:TANUKIDATE: 20210917:☆. :raccoon: :fallen_leaf:

Day XVII: ボラシシ (小惑星) :space_invader:

~☆~ Special Late Night Edition ~☆~

I’ve not had very much time at all today, so it’s late bedtime reading!
There’s still 21 minutes left of the day… it’s still good.

Two little asteroid friends drifting eternally together in the Kuiper belt.

Not that I’ll think I’ll ever has need of the word, but it’s a cool word:

近日点通過 = perihelion passage

Now away to bed! :zzz:

14 Likes