Day 40: October 10
What did I read?: ハイ☆スピード!
How much did I read?: 5 pages
How long did it take me?: 1 hour 4 min
Makoto is talking about Haru + water and I am crying
Aki and Makoto are taking a break on the bench during practice, and Aki asks why Haru only swims freestyle. And the answer
^ yes, that
(my hopefully-correct rough translations in the spoilers) I’ve never asked him about it, but I think that, for Haru, swimming has a different meaning than it does for you and me.
And then later:
“In a word, instinct. It’s like asking a dolphin or a whale why it lives in the sea.”
Asking Haru why he only swims freestyle is like asking a dolphin or a whale why it lives in the sea.
It’s so true that it hurts, I have so many feelings about this sentence Makoto, you know.
I love this conversation. I want to read it forever. It’s one of my favorites so far. Ugh I have no words to express the feelings in my soul. Why are my emotions
On an unrelated note, we learn that Haru is the expert bricklayer in the class, apparently It does sort of strike me as something he’d be good at, though, for some reason. I low-key want to try too now, is that weird? I’m absolutely not handy at all, but it sounds sort of…satisfying, once you know how? I’m not watching bricklaying videos on Youtube right now
Here are some good words
- 焼き上がる (やきあがる) - to be fired (pottery) (can also mean to be baked (food); to be printed (photos))
- 翳り (かげり) - shadow or cloud (e.g. on someone’s happiness); shade; gloom (I thought this was a cool-looking kanji that the book used, it’s also written as 陰り)
- 生まれ持つ (うまれもつ) - to have (something) innate; to be born with (what a pleasantly logical word)
- 適性 (てきせい) - aptitude; aptness; suitability
- こげ茶色 (こげちゃいろ) - dark brown; olive brown
- 春めく (はるめく) - to become spring-like; to show signs of spring (this is such a cute word to me)