📚📚 Read every day challenge - Fall/Autumn 2021 🍁🍂🦝

Very Interested! (With spoilers)

YOU WERE RIGHT! I didn’t want to give it away at the start but was so impressed! You knowing so quickly made me wonder how I didn’t until later in the book :flushed:

Yeah, I agree with you that probably PuraPura, the guardian, wanted him to make his own conclusions. I also got the feeling that guardian wanted to kind of set Makoto’s standard from the beginning. Like a, “this didn’t all happen for no reason” kind of warning. Where Makoto having low expectations can help keep him from being let down again.

That type of phrasing is really cheesy, haha. I’m not sure, but I imagine the author is trying to address how some people who are having thoughts of suicide feel like there’s no other future or option for them? Knowing that we all have options and that life can change is sometimes all it takes to make someone think twice about continuing to live! …now I’m seriously curious as to waht you’ll think of the very end :thinking::rofl:

This book is surprisingly heavy, isn’t it?? :flushed: As cheesy and predictable as it can be, I can’t believe how some of the story lines can also be so mature.

Bahaha I just love this. Beautiful way of thinking :raccoon: :paw_prints:

4 Likes

Home post

Day 36:

日本語: I read a lot of 伯爵と妖精 19.

中国語

中国語: I read 爱 and 确保安全.

16 Likes

my daily duty to わにかに … that I have been slacking on :caught_durtling:
日 7 :bookmark:
今日の日本の本: Bunpro [N5] leason ( ._.)

Imma get my life together ya’ll wait for me… I can do this Q(`⌒´Q)

15 Likes

Today I just read a page of パラサイト・イヴ. I like the book but it will still take a long time until I finish it.

混雑 こんざつ congestion; crush; crowding; jam N3
引き起こす ひきおこす to cause; to induce; to bring about; to provoke N1
苛立つ いらだつ to be irritated; to get annoyed; to lose one’s patience
クラクション car horn
直進 ちょくしん going straight on; going straight ahead

外来患者 がいらいかんじゃ outpatients

outpatients definition

A patient whose treatment does not require an overnight stay in a hospital or clinic.

I never heard the word in english yet so I added the definition.

17 Likes

:jack_o_lantern: My tiny summary post :ghost:

October 7 I was called a machine by a classmate for studying all day on campus (10h+) :robot: Time well spent, I’d say :eyes: :fire:
・Honzuki 6. (39% → 41%)

17 Likes

Summary Post

October 7th
Final Fantasy XIV

Random words
  • 気配 = けはい sign, indication.
  • 異様 = いよう bizarre, strange, odd.
  • 怯える = おびえる to be scared of, to become frightened.

16 Likes

Summary post

Day 37: October 7
What did I read?: ハイ☆スピード!
How much did I read?: 7.5 pages
How long did it take me?: 1 hour 47 min

I did not intend to read this much, but I just wanted to finish the scene xD My brain is dead :upside_down_face: But some good food for thought in this little scene. You can really see how much thought Rin puts into swimming, from the way he analyzes the reason behind Nagisa’s slipping times to the way he thinks about his own swimming and tries to improve his own performance. He’s constantly thinking about his form and rhythm while he swims, trying to find the form/rhythm that fits him the best and makes him faster. And although Nagisa’s technically his teammate, he’s basically coaching Nagisa, in a way - he’s able to note Nagisa’s weak points even while he’s swimming alongside him, and he figures out how to bring out Nagisa’s best performance so that they can cultivate that and hopefully make him more consistently fast. Interestingly, Nagisa is basically his opposite when it comes to that, he doesn’t think about what he’s doing or how he’s doing it at all :joy: That feels…right xD I like the way the author juxtaposes them here. There are some more interesting things happening here, but I think I need to digest those a little more.

Good words
  • 浮上 (ふじょう) - surfacing; rising to the surface
  • 違和感 (いわかん) - uncomfortable feeling; feeling out of place; sense of discomfort; malaise; physical unease
  • 途切れ途切れ (とぎれとぎれ) - broken; intermittent; disconnected
  • しゃがむ - to squat; to crouch
  • 恥じる (はじる) - to feel ashamed
  • 思い込み (おもいこみ) - wrong impression; subjective impression; assumption; prejudice
  • 持論 (じろん) - one’s cherished opinion; pet theory
  • 肩口 (かたぐち) - top of the shoulders; tip of the shoulder; collar​ (this word makes me laugh for some reason xD shoulder mouth)
  • コンマ - decimal point (also means comma)
  • 得体の知れない (えたいのしれない) - strange; unfamiliar; mysterious; suspicious; of an unknown nature
  • 試行錯誤 (しこうさくご) - trial and error​
17 Likes

Summary post

Day 37: Read another 6 pages of よつば&!

17 Likes

:ballot_box_with_check: Day 38

I finished 手紙 today. 50 pages in a single day is a major record for me :flushed:
Maybe I can join 多読?!?

Final thoughts: 手紙 is immediately interesting, as it gives you drama and a new perspective from the very beginning. As with a lot of authors, you’ll see a lot of the same vocabulary used again and again (so many ways to say someone looked at something or furrowed their brow! Oo!) so that’s also great for learning too! Lots of kanji! The only drawback for me was that is got a little… Not unbelievable, not cheesy… a little on-the-nose at the end? Characters started giving a lot of strong life advice at the end, and the main character would sit and listen and take their opinions very seriously. Felt like less of a story for a second, and more like lesson time! The veeeery veery end is pretty interesting though. Gives you a lot to think about. I wonder if I were Naoki, what I would do differently…

:raccoon: :raccoon: Main Post :raccoon: :raccoon:

17 Likes

As if that’s a bad thing! D:<

11 Likes

Main Post

I think it’s a good time for another update post, before the weekend kicks off. Over the past few days I read 3 stories and a poem from 10分で読める物語 二年生. Some stories are easier or more enjoyable than others.

I didn’t really have much expectations before reading 夏休み、ぼくはおばちゃんちに行った, but it was much far more enjoyable than I thought it would be. It’s about a kid that comes from a pretty neat and organized city that goes to visit his grandma for the summer break. At first he doesn’t like going all the way out to the boonies to stay there. No one can blame him, there’s not much to do out there and the place is a mess. However the local kids invite him to play at the river and he changes his point of view. It’s kinda sweet and kinda funny story with a little bit of silliness to it.

空がある is a little poem about the sky and I liked it. Then there’s 三月の風, a story about the wind pulling pranks on people. Quite a good read as well. I didn’t really like みどり色の宝石, which is a shame because I like green and the artwork was pretty good.

There’s a haiku and two stories left for the weekend. I already put an order in for more manga to read after that, so stay tuned. :eyes:

17 Likes

Home post October 8th - restarted & finished graded reader 姿すがたおくさん, wrote up the remainder of chapter 3 for 王様ランキング, and worked with a friend to breakdown some sentences from them reading やがて君になる.

Not sure when is the right time to start 王様ランキング, although I still have quite a bit of vocab harvesting to do from it.
In the meantime I still have a few unread graded readers I should try read soon before they’re no longer useful to me, amd I’m party way through チーズスイートホーム (1).
I could resume reading 大海原と大海原 but I’m still quite a while ahead of the book club.

Oh awesome, didn’t want to risk blabbering if you were just making a joke =D

I hope this is interesting/useful rather than TMI, happy to answer any questions if you have them.

I’ve found it much more useful (and motivating) to make decks myself, although I have got good mileage from the core anime vocab deck, and I’ve started a Tango N5 deck for more listening practice (but I sometimes find it is like pulling teeth).

Yeah exactly, my Anki cards have a field for example sentences which I’ll add either from WK or from the manga I harvested them from.

When started out I also looked over some more conventional vocab lists (all vocab from Genki, Japanese top 1k words, etc) and combined that with a few beginner friendly manga. Between them that seems to have got decent coverage, at least for a beginner (although I didn’t include every word any from those lists).

Yeah, the amount of rare/specific vocab to learn is a tradeoff you have to consider.

In my case since I’m quite early into reading and Japanese, I’ve decided that in general it makes the most sense to focus my time on words which I’m likely to see often (and thus which will be reinforced often) - so I’m okay with rare-ish words if they also happen to be common in media I want to consume, but if its not common in media I want to consume then it’ll take a lot of time in Anki to commit that word to memory which may be better spent in other words.

Once I’m further along this tradeoff will change, sometimes even now I’ll add rarer words to Anki and just suspend them so they don;'t appear in my reviews, with the expectation that I’ll unsuspend them at a future date when I run out of more common words to learn. Even if those words don’t make it into Anki, they are still just waiting in my Google sheets vocab lists.

Only natural =D

Sorry for being so verbose,1:30am so not the best time for copy editing my words down.

15 Likes

:fallen_leaf: :raccoon: :new_moon: :: TANUKIDATE 20211008 :: :new_moon: :raccoon: :fallen_leaf:

Day XXXVIII: この音とまれ! pg. 17-23 & 山女 :hotsprings:

Read 6 pages of この音とまれ! and I am really tripping up over the grammar and slangy words, there’s only about 1/4 in length here than the other story but it took me probably more than twice as long to read.

And read today’s 百物語, about a one-eye ghost lady who haunts a mountain onsen. It originates from Gunma prefecture, didn’t read the prefecture page but had a quick glimpse and the Gunma prefecture symbol is really cool:

Gunma

~ New Words! ~
同然 (どうぜん) - just like [something] / virtually the same as [something]
草津地方 (くさつちほう) - Kusatsu Region (Gunma Prefecture)
山小屋 (やまごや) - A hut or shack, especially one on a mountain
湯滝 - Yudaki Falls
月明かり (つきあかり) - Moonlight
今頃 (いまごろ) - About this time / Around this time
木こり (きこり) - Woodcutter / Lumberjack

15 Likes

Waves from England

8 Likes

Home post

Day 37:

日本語: I read a lot of 伯爵と妖精 19.
Read-aloud: We read a chapter of ふしぎの国のバード.

中国語

中国語: I read 盘子 and 谁知道得多. I added 总, 发明, 启发, 骂, and 父亲.

15 Likes

I learn English in this thread :cowboy_hat_face:

Yeah, is a non-bad!
This classmate is a good person tho, said it with a tone that implied “I can’t believe how you’re able to do this, that’s crazy (and amazing)”. What they don’t know is that that day was one of my most productive days, not an average one. I have too many days where I’m distracted most of the time. Today was one of them ;u;

stays tuned :eyes: :eyes:

13 Likes

:jack_o_lantern: My tiny summary post :ghost:

October 8 I’ve reached the answer :eyes:
・Honzuki 6. (41% → 42%)

16 Likes

8日10月 :bookmark:
今日の日本の本: 文プロの短編集
Today I did a review of the Bunpro [N5] 1-3d passages! It’s really amazing how much you can improve over time. Because alot of times with me constantly moving forward on to new words, kanji and grammer it’s hard to notice that I’ve made progress!!! Keep reviewing it’s worth it :durtle_noice: gn

16 Likes

Summary post

Day 38: Today I read another five pages of よつば&!

16 Likes

:house_with_garden: home post

:heavy_check_mark: Day 28 (10月 6日) :sparkles:

What did I read:
TODAI app article. Just one article while I was on the metro. It was about this fossil

this thing is a microorganism Tardigrade, the fossil was found in the Dominican Republic and the little insect was trapped in amber over 16 million years ago :exploding_head::exploding_head: it was mentioned as the smallest animal with legs, since it’s less than 1mm long! It seemed to be preserved intact inside the amber too!

Also, how is ミリ an N2 word

暁のヨナ, read-aloud with bookclub gang, this was the shortest chapter this volume, we were done in less than an hour!

:heavy_check_mark: Day 29 (10月 7日) :sparkles:
I ALMOST MISSED THIS DAY OUT!
I was so busy and out running errands all day. I remembered just before bed, so I read
暁のヨナ, ch40, almost all, and looked vocabulary up, 40min.

:heavy_check_mark: Day 30 (10月 8日) :sparkles:
WOW!! 30 DAYS!!!
What did I read:
TODAI App , and article about China fining some huge company a ridiculous sum for violating the no monopoly law

I also found interesting the furigana for this name

Lastly, started reading on 徳島県, but I will conclude tomorrow!

17 Likes