📚📚 Read every day challenge - Fall/Autumn 2021 🍁🍂🦝

:fallen_leaf: :raccoon: :new_moon: :: TANUKIDATE 20211006 :: :new_moon: :raccoon: :fallen_leaf:

Day XXXVI: 十二味のとうがらし :hot_pepper:

You’ve probably heard of the classic Shichimi, the seven spices of tasty, but this is about the super secret illusive magical 12 spices of legend! :hot_pepper: :hot_pepper:

Plot twist: the secret magic illusive 12 spices is just shichimi (7 spices) and puntacular dust (trash) (ごみ → 五味 = 5 spices), I have been duped :slightly_frowning_face:.

Today is International Cooperation Day! 国際協力の日
Jolly Cooperation! :pray: :sunny:

~ Tasty Words! ~
とうがらし (唐辛子) - Chilli Pepper
七味唐辛子 (しちみとうがらし) - Shichimi, that tasty seven spices, I’ve used this (the spice shaker thing) before (a lot) and never took note of the kanji or the hiragana… woops
赤とうがらし (あかとうがらし) - Red Pepper
アサの実 (あさのみ) - Hemp seed
青のり (あおのり) - Green Laver (Seaweed)
ちんぴ (陳皮) - Dried Citrus peel
さんしょ (山椒) - Japanese Pepper
ケシ (芥子) - Opium Poppy
すりゴマ (擂り胡麻) - Ground toasted sesame seeds
Mmmm, tasty

Whoooo! And don’t worry about the long post, it’s great to see how much progress you’ve made, all that hard work is paying off!

15 Likes

I started to read the No game no life manga, I read a little bit of パラサイト・イヴ book and a little bit of まいてつ visual novel.

保線 ほせん track maintenance
撫ぜる なぜる to brush gently; to stroke; to caress​
上目 うわめ upward glance; upturned eyes
ためらう to hesitate; to waver N2

14 Likes

:jack_o_lantern: My tiny summary post :ghost:

October 6 It’s too cold to read, must go hide under the blankets :cold_face: :snowman:
・Honzuki 6. (37% → 39%)

16 Likes

Home post

Day 35:

日本語: I read a lot of 伯爵と妖精 19.

中国語

中国語: I read 中外的不同, 一块钱, and 方仲永的故事. I added 爱心, 从前, 从此, and 知识.

16 Likes

Summary Post

October 6th
Final Fantasy XIV

Random words
  • 指示 = しじ indications, instructions, directions.
  • 庭師 = にわし gardener.
  • 志す = こころざす to aspire to, to set aims, to intend.
  • 再現 = さいげん reappearance, reemergence, return.
  • 執り行う = とりおこなう to hold a ceremony.
  • 催し = もよおし event, festivities, social gathering.
  • 再会 = さいかい meeting again, reunion.
  • 再生 = さいせい resucitation, rebirth; also playback or reproduction (music, video, etc). Generally just making something come back again, literally and figuratively, at least that’s how I understand it. The context for this one was to resurrect someone, to make someone come back from the dead → 再生させる。
  • 行方 = ゆくえ whereabouts, destination, where one is headed. Apparently also an outcome or course of events.

I really like vocabulary with 再 , it’s so easy to understand. It’s basically ‘second kanji + again’, so far at least, so every new word I come accross with this kanji is really easy to infer. I also thought about all the words with 込む and how they gave me a lot of trouble at first, and now somehow I developed a feel for those compound words that contain it and can often (though not always) tell the difference with their non-込む counterparts. However if you ask me to explain what 込む means I literally can’t tell, but somehow understand it without translating. Crazy.

16 Likes

Summary post

Day 36: October 6
What did I read?: ハイ☆スピード!
How much did I read?: 5 pages
How long did it take me?: 1 hour 14 min

You guys - as I was finishing my reading today, I was like, hm, the amount of the book on the left side seems to have gotten a lot smaller, am I…close to halfway? And I was - as of now, I’m exactly halfway through the book?? It’s gone so fast :o

Rin had An Idea for the team today, and as usual, Haru was Not About It

Basically Rin announces that he thinks they should all focus on practicing for the relay only - no practicing for or competing in any of their individual events. That’s his plan, to only compete in the relay, and he wants them all to join him in that. He says that if they don’t focus on the relay, they won’t win. BIG clash of philosophies ensues between Haruka “I don’t give an eff about winning or times” Nanase and Rin “My only goal in life is to win this medley relay” Matsuoka. As usual, Makoto mediates a bit, getting Rin to give them time to think about this idea for now. Nagisa, sweet little puppy, goes along with Rin’s plan right away - there’s a very cute moment where Rin snaps his goggle strap (that’s his Thing :tm:) and Nagisa copies it, he clearly looks up to him as much as he looks up to Haru. He’s gonna do it Just Like Rin. <3 But poor Haru feels like he’s just being pushed into stuff he doesn’t want all the time, and he’s not happy about it. He just wants to run away into the water, and I don’t blame him.

Good words

一本 (いっぽん) - single-minded focus on (…​after a noun, usu. as 〜一本で, 〜 一本に, etc.)
間髪を入れず (かんぱつをいれず) - immediately; instantly; with nary a pause; without a moment’s delay (what a fun word - literally like, a space so small a hair can’t enter)
願ったり叶ったり (ねがったりかなったり) - everything working out as desired
戸惑う (とまどう) - to be bewildered; to be perplexed (the door to confusion has been opened~ oooo)
やり合う (やりあう) - to argue with; to quarrel​
引き摺り込む (ひきずりこむ) - to drag in; to pull in
毅然として (きぜんとして) - with resolution
無理強い (むりじい) - forcing; compulsion; coercion; pushing (to do)
優勝候補 (ゆうしょうこうほ) - favorite (top choice) for the championship (favourite); best bet for the title
顔がほころぶ (かおがほころぶ) - to break into a smile; to smile broadly; to beam
迷い込む (まよいこむ) - to stray into; to lose one’s way (and enter); to wander into

I’m guessing so :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

18 Likes

Summary post

Day 36: Today I read 5 pages of よつば&!

14 Likes

wow you’re smashing your challenge!

11 Likes

(Predictive) Welcome back @Axazel !

8 Likes

Hehehehe Thank you!! :notes: (Gonna make a proper post a little later!) How’s your recovery going??

It’s so heart warming to see you and everyone making progress each day here! (I’m happy to be back :kissing_smiling_eyes:)

12 Likes

Home post October 7th today I spent a bunch more time typing up and capturing words for 王様ランキン and then to round it all off I read 2 pages of チーズスイートホーム to finish chapter 9.

Oh I’d completely forgotten to mention that, really great actually, much better than the matching surgery I had previously on my other arm. I can bend it and use it in ways which last time took me many more weeks to regain. Thanks for asking and remembering =D

18 Likes

How do you capture them? I imagine you don’t use pokeballs :stuck_out_tongue: .

4 Likes

Hmmm it seems I have to pick how seriously to interpret the question… yet I am very tired…

less serious interpretation

Sadly I haven’t been able to source a reliable supplier of pokeballs since the start of the pandemic, so I rely primarily on more old school methods

It is mostly a combination of being very sneaky and shotgun cocking noise

more serious interpretation

I type up all the non-trivial dialogue into a Google doc, do lookups with Yomichan, and words that I don’t know which seem possibly useful make their way into a Google spreadsheet (one tab/sheet per manga), and if they’re lucky eventually end up in Anki.

Sometimes words are reoccurring within a story but don’t seem useful more generally and so possibly aren’t worth really learning, in which case I’ll make an Anki recognition only deck for a specific manga / game to contain these, but most words end up in my general vocab deck.

Later on when I start reading properly I’ll often re-use that same Google doc and add breakdowns below each of the non-trivial sentences.

I’ve been toying around with writing some programs to do some more of this distillation for me, I have started automating some of it (e.g. verb inflection lookup, jlpt lookup, etc.), but so far doing the word foraging by hand isn’t very time consuming and I end up learning a bunch from it.

6 Likes

:fallen_leaf: :raccoon: :new_moon: :: TANUKIDATE 20211007 :: :new_moon: :raccoon: :fallen_leaf:

Day XXXVII: あこや姫 :evergreen_tree: & pages 1-17 of この音とまれ! :sound:

The day I decide to start on この音とまれ! (which has a koto!) is also the same day that the folktale involves a koto, this is obviously a sign that I need to buy a koto (I wish, those things are expensive and the postage costs… :scream: ).

I managed 17 pages of この音とまれ! (though about 10 of which were wordless intro pages), it was quite hard going, I’m not really used to reading conversational Japanese, it was pretty kanji heavy too (thankfully, furigana), and I also can’t be lazy and just copy-paste anything I don’t understand into Jisho :sweat_smile:
Thanks again @Redglare! :+1:

Today is Anti-Theft day, 盗難防止の日!
So you guys better not be stealing anything today :eyes: :eyes:
The reason for it being today is a pun 「10(トー)7(ナン)」= とうなん → 盗難 : theft.

~ New Words ~
[Mountain Name]山の麓 (やまのふもと) - At the foot of [Mountain Name], new kanji too! 麓. The singular meaning of the kanji is “foot of a mountain” as well.
惚れる (ほれる) - To fall in love with / to be charmed with
老松 (ろうしょう) - Old pine tree

16 Likes

It was mostly curiosity, as I haven’t really thought about how I would go about it myself. I think I do prefer it over just grabbing a common deck someone else made. Eventually you’ll still go through a lot of common words and you can add references to reading material. On the another hand it is probably nice to have the more rare/series specific vocab as well.

Of course capturing words made me associate it with pokemon as well.

4 Likes

Hope everyone is doing well, and is enjoying all their reading time!

My streak is completely broken, and I fell off the reading wagon the last couple of days, but that’s okay right now. My wife and I are on a mini vacation after work craziness, so I’m just enjoying that.

Buuuuuuuuuut, look what 完全版 I found for €9:

My wife and I have another week off after this, but she hopes to be finishing her doctoral thesis in that time. So I’ll likely be back to my regular schedule come Monday.

Have a great day, everyone!

19 Likes

:ballot_box_with_check: Day 29 - Day 37

I read 130 pages in the past week, bringing me to Section 5, Chapter 4 in 手紙.

I have just a couple days to read the rest (about 50 pages), since I need to return the book before moving to England! Because I’m now focused on speed, it’s about getting the info quick and moving on. I am barely looking up words–which means I’m finally understanding the book?! This feels like a HUGE improvement to me.

Thoughts on the story (spoilers are blurred, so don't worry about looking here)

This book has given me so much stress. I just want everything to be fine for Naoki and his brother, but I know that if things always go well there won’t be a story to tell.
Where it’s good is how things do or don’t go well is usually hard to guess. Like, it was really easy to predict that Naoki would somehow lose his restaurant job, or the band, even if I had no idea on what way that would happen.
Lately there’s a character that feels a little too unrealistic to me. There are always these philosophical lectures the character gives Naoki. It feels a little strange because they’re supposed to be the CEO of a giant company, but they will go to meet with Naoki specifically. Then, they give Naoki the most mysterious and edgy advice. It’s like some Jedi talk from Star Wars.
The ending so far is really heartfelt. I’m still scared for what happens next. At the same time, it’s all so emotional and kind of sweet.

:raccoon: :raccoon: Main Post :raccoon: :raccoon:

16 Likes
Very Interested! (With spoilers)

YOU WERE RIGHT! I didn’t want to give it away at the start but was so impressed! You knowing so quickly made me wonder how I didn’t until later in the book :flushed:

Yeah, I agree with you that probably PuraPura, the guardian, wanted him to make his own conclusions. I also got the feeling that guardian wanted to kind of set Makoto’s standard from the beginning. Like a, “this didn’t all happen for no reason” kind of warning. Where Makoto having low expectations can help keep him from being let down again.

That type of phrasing is really cheesy, haha. I’m not sure, but I imagine the author is trying to address how some people who are having thoughts of suicide feel like there’s no other future or option for them? Knowing that we all have options and that life can change is sometimes all it takes to make someone think twice about continuing to live! …now I’m seriously curious as to waht you’ll think of the very end :thinking::rofl:

This book is surprisingly heavy, isn’t it?? :flushed: As cheesy and predictable as it can be, I can’t believe how some of the story lines can also be so mature.

Bahaha I just love this. Beautiful way of thinking :raccoon: :paw_prints:

4 Likes

Home post

Day 36:

日本語: I read a lot of 伯爵と妖精 19.

中国語

中国語: I read 爱 and 确保安全.

16 Likes

my daily duty to わにかに … that I have been slacking on :caught_durtling:
日 7 :bookmark:
今日の日本の本: Bunpro [N5] leason ( ._.)

Imma get my life together ya’ll wait for me… I can do this Q(`⌒´Q)

15 Likes