📚📚 Read every day challenge - Fall/Autumn 2021 🍁🍂🦝

Summary post

September 13
・Started Honzuki 6. (2% → 3%)

Truly, a tiny read

15 Likes

Forty more pages of マ月期 manga, it is a little bit silly but it was still fun reading it. There was lots of hugging and kissing in the manga. In my next post I will summarize the story.

Then I read some more まいてつ visual novel.

15 Likes

Reading Update: 9月9日〜13日

Materials:

:red_square: 月刊少女野崎くん3
:red_square: ふらいんぐうぃっち1
:red_square: 授乳

I didn’t have a ton of time over the weekend, but read a little from 野崎くん and ふらいんぐうぃっち. I also started to read 授乳, but I got a call just as I began reading, so I really only started it today. Also, no, ふらいんぐうぃっち was not on my initial reading list. I saw that it’s free to read on Bookwalker until the 16th, and, well…I couldn’t resist. :sweat_smile:

Not much to say about 野崎くん just yet, but I have some thoughts on the other two.

ふらいんぐうぃっち

I remember watching a few episodes of the show and thinking it was cute, and the manga so far doesn’t disappoint! Right off the bat I was (re?) introduced to a very useful word for me: 方向音痴 (person with bad sense of direction). Without fail, I will look at a map and go in the wrong direction before realizing and turning myself around. :upside_down_face: Her cousin, 圭, already seems like a trouble maker, but her other cousin, 千夏, is pretty cute. She makes some great expressions.

The bonus cherry on top is, of course, 真琴’s (MC’s) cat. I’m very much a cat person, and I can’t help but automatically gravitate toward cat characters.

授乳

It took me over an hour to read three pages… :sob: Granted, with books where I look vocab up, I try and read straight through a couple of pages first and then reread them while checking the meanings of words I didn’t understand. But STILL. I think I got a little spoiled because toward the end of the last book I read, there weren’t too many words I needed to check. This one, though…let’s just say I stared at some sentences for a while. I think I understand the gist of what I read, though.

New Words I Enjoyed Learning

方向音痴 ほうこうおんち:person with bad sense of direction
出不精 でぶしょう:homebody
居候 いそうろう:freeloader
奇々怪々 ききかいかい:very strange, bizarre
愛想笑い あいそわらい:insincere smile

:house_with_garden: (click for home post)

16 Likes

Thank you all for the warm welcome! :slight_smile:

9 Likes

Summary Post

Day 13: September 13th
Satori Reader: Secret, episode 39.

Random words
  • ガヤガヤ = noisily, clamorously (from people talking).
  • 裏腹 = うらはら opposite, contrary.
  • 時差ぼけ = じさぼけ jet lag.
  • 横になる = よこになる to lie down.

14 Likes

Summary post

Day 13: September 13
What did I read?: ハイ☆スピード!
How much did I read?: 4 pages
How long did it take me?: 1 hour 24 min

Man, lots of explaining on these pages :sweat_smile: First about the relay practice, and why Rin’s fast in the short lanes, then about the class project. Reading non-dialogue portions is definitely not my strongest suit. Something is up with Makoto (but lord knows Haru isn’t going to ask what it is xP at least, he hasn’t yet.). This class project is pretty cute though, they’re like, actually making the bricks for the flower bed? Like from clay, from scratch? I didn’t realize that for some reason lol, I assumed they’d be premade. I don’t think “making bricks” has ever even occurred to me as a thing you could just…do. But it sounds cute :grin:

This part talks about the events that each of them have competed in in the past, and I find it interesting that there’s literally no mention of backstroke for Makoto at all at this point (his specialty in the anime). Just breaststroke and freestyle. I remember there being A Reason why he gets into backstroke, but I guess I sort of thought he’d have some background competing in it before it becomes His Thing. :thinking: It’s just weirding me out, thinking about Makoto not swimming backstroke lol

Good words from today:

• 重点 (じゅうてん) - important point; emphasis; stress; importance; priority
  • 過言 (かごん) - exaggeration; overstatement; saying too much (such lovely, literal words)
  • 感じ取る (かんじとる) - to perceive; to sense; to take in; to grasp; to feel
  • 思い思い (おもいおもい) - just as (each) one likes; as (each) one pleases; as (each) one prefers; (each) in one’s own way (I think this word is really cute for some reason)
  • 拘る (こだわる) - to be obsessive about; to be fixated on​ (as in, Haruka Nanase is fixated on freestyle :rofl:)
  • メド継 (めどけい) - medley relay (thank you Google)

So I played around with it on Google a little bit more and I think the grammar point is actually んばかりに! Here’s a video in Japanese that I think I actually understood, wao, learning Japanese grammar in Japanese

Welcome welcome! :wave: :wave: I love Yotsuba, that was the first thing I ever read ^^

Yes it does! I like that :o

18 Likes

Summary post

Day 13: Today I read two more pages of よつば&!and read aloud one chapter of ハイキュー!!

18 Likes

Slow and steady wins the race, they say :sweat_smile:

Sept 12: Read about two pages of 糞尿譚 (until 53/158)
Sept 13: Read about a page of 糞尿譚 (until 55/158)

Also I forgot to mention, last week I had a chat with my Japanese tandem partner about the book (I gave him the link to the Aozora text, and he read the whole thing in an evening :rage:) and it turns out that on my second read through of the passage that made me give up last time, my understanding was much better. Also, I’ve started to learn the readings for the character’s names, and you won’t believe it but knowing who is who suddenly adds so much more depth to the story :grin: :woman_facepalming:

17 Likes

@tiny_river_otter
@Flicki
Welcome! :blush:

It didn’t occur to me either, and now I started googling how to make bricks :grin:

7 Likes

Summary

September 10
:maple_leaf: 10
total: 77/100

• 生命式 (45 → 47%)

September 11
:maple_leaf: 11
total: 78/100

• 生命式 (47 → 48%)

September 12
:maple_leaf: 12
total: 79/100

• カラフル (30 → 35%)

September 13
:maple_leaf: 13
total: 80/100

• カラフル (35 → 40%)

Managed to come back to カラフル on Sunday, like I planned! It was surprisingly dark and cynical with the classmate talking calmly about selling her body for the expensive stuff and the park scene.

Also follow up to Devotion of Suspect X/容疑者Xの献身 (read in English).

I can confirm that it’s a fast read, as I finished it in 2 days :grin: (and I’m still slower in English than in Polish).
I have mixed feelings, but I liked it enough to re-check 手紙 and besides not having an English translation (which I knew of already) I discovered it doesn’t even have an ebook either. So I’m not going to read this one soon, sorry @Axazel :cry:. And then I remembered that maybe ABC nominated another of author’s books - and I was right, but that one also doesn’t have an ebook. Whyyy @Belerith . I need my built-in dictionary and large font :fearful:.
On the other hand, I think my hunch about reading it in English for now might have been right, because that kind of book gains when read very quickly? I’m not sure how it would feel if it would be dragged out for 10 weeks, even with ABC speed.
@NicoleIsEnough because you’re the only left from the original discussion without @, although I suspect you’ll probably notice this post anyway :stuck_out_tongue:

16 Likes

:house_with_garden: home post
yesterday’s entry

:heavy_check_mark: Day 5 (9月 13日) :sparkles:

What did I read:
上級への扉 (textbook): main text of chapter 3 during my lesson. That was a really interesting passage about robots. No unknown words (wow I was surprised myself)
日本の歴史366
2 stories today, ~15min
雨と君と :raccoon: aaah, I told you guys, this tanuki overfixation is getting serious… I browsed on LINE manga some series, and found the one windupbird mentioned and read the sample (only 30 pages T_T )… it was so so cute :sob: I think I need to buy this

What I learnt:

関白かんぱく =chief advisor to the the Emperor (adviser)
壊すこわ =to demolish (in this context)
御成敗式目ご せい ばいしきもく = Formulation of Adjudications forgotten this already, lol
守護しゅご =1. protection, safeguard 2. shugo (Kamakura or Muromachi period military governor)
地頭じとう = lord of a manor, estate steward
執権しっけん =regent to the shogunate

17 Likes
I don't knooow

I don’t know, there’s so many cool and popular books you can only get physically. Whyy indeed. :sob: I think there’s a handful or so that’s available as ebooks, out of what, 20?
Aside from Suspect X I could only find ダイイング・アイ, ナミヤ雑貨店の奇跡 (This one doesn’t seem to be a crime novel? Or maybe it is, I only read the summary), 流星の絆, プラチナデータ, 白夜行.

I read 1,5 pages of 使ってはいけない日本語. :sleeping: I was super exhausted that day.

I finished chapter 4 of キノの旅, and started week 5 of 授乳.

I read chapter 24 of 赤毛のアン, and finished week 5 of 授乳.

I read chapter 5 of キノの旅. And then I read the first chapter of ブルーピリオド, because I’d randomly seen the beginning of a video on youtube singing its praises earlier in the day, and I somehow already owned the first volume. Must have been a freebie at some point. :thinking: I really enjoyed it! It’s about this person discovering art as a channel of communication in high school, and so far it is just lovely.

16 Likes

I learnt all the names of the prefectures (and how to write their kanji) this summer and I was amazed how many I just completely had never heard of!

8 Likes

Few days since I posted. I’m on holiday this week travelling around Wales. So nice to be away from work stress and hoping that I’ll also get to do a fair bit of reading :slight_smile:

Read since last update 4 days ago:
ハリーポッター賢者の石: 52%-> 64%
ブルーロック: volumes 2 & 3

In my last update I talked about reading the first volume of ブルーロック (soccer sports manga) and was like…

Well it did it, it well and truly hooked me. The pacing of this series is just so good, and there’s been some real fun twists I did not see coming at all. I wouldn’t even have read past the first volume I think if I hadn’t also had the second one free but now it’s taking all my self control to try to wait until the next big coins back period on bookwalker before just getting the whole series. Not sure I’ll manage - I need to find out what happens next! This is how bookwalker get you hahah.

16 Likes

Are you finding the second volume easier as well after reading the first one?

If you’re on LINE they have sets of stickers of our :raccoon: friend.

5 Likes

hmmm…possibly. I think I noticed a bit of a jump in ease with the third volume. In general, I’ve found it a pretty manageable series to read difficulty-wise, probably because one of the other main things I’ve read multiple volumes of is ハイキュー which is also a sports manga which I think helps quite a bit as while it’s a different sport there’s a lot of cross-over in the vocab and just general style.

2 Likes

Home post

September 14th read 2 pages of 大海原と大海原, I’m conflicted about whether I should slow down to let the club catch up, or just shoot ahead and finish it ASAP.

Today I also typed up all the lines from the first chapter (~ 14 pages) from 王様ランキング to continue gathering vocab from it for Anki, accidentally skim reading parts of it, I think I understand the gist of the first chapter.

16 Likes

:ballot_box_with_check: Day 14

Read section 2, chapters 1 and 2 in 手紙!That’s three days in a row of two chapters :sparkles:

:raccoon: :raccoon: Main Post :raccoon: :raccoon:

Thank yoooou!! Also woo for learning Japanese in Japanese!! :laughing::notes: It feels like an arrival when that happens (at least it does for me)

It’s not your fault :sob::sweat_drops: I hope it makes it’s way to an ebook soon.

15 Likes

9月14日:

What did I read:

• 大海原と大海原, Pages 11-18

Was a little bit harder than yesterday, because I didn’t know some of the grammar, but I still was able to get the grasp of the meaning without help with the exception of two sentences. Also noticed two mistakes in Russian fan translation that I read parallely to check my comprehension. XD

Words I didn’t know: 寝すぎる, 起こす, 優しい, 寝ぼすけ, 伝える, 着替える.

16 Likes