📚📚 Read every day challenge - Fall 2022 🍁🍂

:maple_leaf: :jack_o_lantern: :snowflake: :christmas_tree: October 18 :christmas_tree: :snowflake: :jack_o_lantern: :maple_leaf:
Home Post

Orange :tangerine:

Finished the last chapter in volume 3 and I’m all caught up. Finally! :smiley:

Now, I just have current week things to read in 夜カフェ and 耳をすませば, then the new book club week will practically be here, so I’ll read the next week of those two plus Orange. Then Loopers!

I’ll finally be back to Loopers! :dancer: :dancer: :dancer:

Not sure I’ll be able to catch up before the club finishes, but it feels good that I’ll try. :3

I’m so glad you all think my Kiro is cute. He is super duper cute. And a real snuggler. He made me go to bed like an hour late because I didn’t want to have to move him from sleeping on me. Another place he likes to sleep is on the dining chairs when they’re pushed in. His own little hidey hole.

He’s so distracting, and it is hard not to look for him all the time. Like I want to know what that cute little ball is up to all the time. :pleading_face: :heart_eyes:

27 Likes

18 October 2022

:house: Home Post

Reading through the transcripts of a podcast for practice with listening and reading more natural Japanese. Reading manga is great, but I think that I need to take some more time with the fundamentals to make sure I’m properly processing it.

22 Likes
Reply (textractor woes)

@Scylie I was just trying it again to see if I could get it working this time and I actually could! The problem was, I think, I was relying on the automatic hooks and didn’t do a manual search. The hooks that the game gave me initially were all terrible, but the text search returned one hook that although it pastes some useless random characters sometimes (for example instead of character names), it seems to be fully functional and displays all the text regardless of the symbols, since they’re not too annoying and they don’t really break the sentences.

That should be good, but thanks again for offering help! If there’s anything that I’m missing that you think might still be useful to know I’m all ears :wink: . Or, well, eyes, since we read the forums…

10 Likes

Home post :bookmark: Oct 18 :maple_leaf:

・本好きの下剋上 11 (60% → 66%)

A few animals were mentioned in today’s reading. Like the amphibian オオサンショウウオ (Japanese giant salamander). It looks like this ancient kind of creature, same league as the coelacanth :eyes: Cute :3

26 Likes

Not Japanese but I finished my first book in Mandarin!

29 Likes

Yeah! Specifically, I looked at Chapter 51. I found a scan pretty quickly online to check, but it’s from the site I normally use to read scanlations, so this is the sort of stuff I would be reading (and also the site my friends would go read よつばと!on if I told them to go try to read it in english.) I’m like 99.9% sure this is a fan translation (but there’s no group or individual credit listed), and would have to check against the official english version. I think I read somewhere that あずまさん directly had a hand in localization, so that might be much better than this.

big text wall

This is the chapter where they go to the school festival to eat ふうかちゃん’s cake. The easiest place to start is with よつば herself. The translation appears to be doing a decent job of translating what she is saying, but not really capturing the manner in which she says it. She is really young, and あずまさん is intentionally writing her character’s dialogue with only hiragana (as well as a kind of broken but forceful style, often with hearing and repetition errors) to indicate this and separate her from the other characters in the series. This style is kind of lost here, and (to me, at least) it sounds like よつば is much older. Her thoughts throughout the chapter are a lot more well connected, and she’s using full phrases where you really would be expecting a child her age to be producing simpler utterances.

Now that I’m looking at it back to back, it might be a typesetting issue as well as a tone issue, あずまさん really does rely on text size and varying levels of boldness to communicate speaker tone.

There’s also something a little off about the way the dad is speaking in this translation, his dialogue throughout the chapter just kinda feels a little unnatural, but it’s hard to pinpoint exactly what the issue is. I’d probably have to go look at a chapter where he’s speaking with ジャンボさん to compare how he speaks to an adult versus how he speaks to よつば, but my guess is that this translation doesn’t have much of a distinction.

One other concrete example I can point to in this chapter is the way that the “customer service” tone is basically completely dropped when they are in the cafe talking to ふうかちゃん and her classmates (it’s a little split up over multiple pages, but if you read through you can find it)
In Japanese, the tone I get here is that they are using the rather polite language that you’d hear from store/restaurant servers, and then here in this panel ふうかちゃん is still using the polite form, but in a just more sarcastic way. The English here kind of loses that for me, and when her classmates are talking in actual polite language the direct meaning of what they are saying matches up but the manner in which it’s delivered doesn’t quite sound right for how you’d expect a customer service worker to be speaking.

The tl;dr version is basically: this translation does convey the direct meaning of what the characters are saying, but doesn’t convey how they are saying it. In a series like this, where so much of the comedy comes from the personalities of the characters, not just the situations they find themselves in, this feels like leaving out half the joke at best.

I actually don’t remember if I included this in my introduction, but I’m currently working towards a masters degree in Linguistics, and my main focus is on pragmatics (all the bits of information that get communicated indirectly through stuff like tone/speaking styles, what information gets included/left out of utterances, levels of formality, etc etc), so this is just something I pay a lot of attention to already lmao.

24 Likes

October 18 :heavy_check_mark: :mountain_snow:

山の霊異記 幻惑の尾根 , 7-15%

Another creepy story, this time about a forgotten tunnel. This time an explanation is offered. It was just the right amount of dark and spooky, I felt.
Looking forward to tomorrow’s story. I really like how they seem to be just the right length for me to be able to read one per day.

27 Likes

Main Post

On October the 18th I:

• Read today’s NHK Easy News.
25 Likes

Home post

Day 17:

Priority: :houses: 青桐. Skimmed through what I’d read before and then read a few more pages.

Free choice: :test_tube: 聖女の魔力は万能です 1. Current goal is just to finish this so I no longer have it as a choice, since how easy it is makes it too easy to reach for.

26 Likes

:books: :maple_leaf: softlyraining’s spooky book stack :jack_o_lantern: :open_book:

October 18th:
:orange_square: 名探偵コナン (24% → 35%)

More Conan today. He’s escaped from the police and enlisted the help of his neighbor to (eventually) make a medicine that will reverse the effects of the poison. A number of references during this reading session: the professor is named Agasa (Agatha Christie), there’s a restaurant in this universe called Columbo (named after the lovable, trenchcoat-clad TV detective), and we get a shot of different books on one of the shelves in Shinichi’s father’s study (where he quickly decides to snag a new moniker for himself: Conan Edogawa).

What books/authors can you spot?

29 Likes

Summary Post

Day 18: October 18th
What did I read?: 夜の名前を呼んで Vol 2
How much did I read?: 30 pages
How long did it take me?: 40 min

Yeah I skipped another day :see_no_evil: I said I was going to be on the struggle bus this challenge, I’m just barely hanging on some days :upside_down_face:
But this chapter was so cute and fun - today we get to meet Stela, Rei’s super-cool and outgoing inventor friend. She has zero concept of personal space (like she literally just falls out of the sky onto Rei lmao) and she greets Mira with a hug, giving poor Mira a heart attack

The little shadow friends chasing after her lost soul lmao please

Stela apparently doesn’t have much in the way of magical abilities, but she makes some pretty cool stuff, like 空レヨン (crayons you can use to draw in the air)

Look at her and Mira having fun with them :D

With a bonus shot of Rei watching them with that completely adorable look on his face

Stela also gives us the gift of cute blushy Rei :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: She made him blush by saying that the way he protects Mira reminds her of “that person,” who is apparently someone Rei’s looked up to like crazy since they were young. I’m guessing it’s Rei’s mentor/adopter figure, who we haven’t really seen yet but whose existence was implied in Rei’s fever dream. CUTEEEE :pleading_face:

30 Likes

Only time for a little bit of 異世界の名探偵 today. It has finally entered the mystery portion of the story and I seem to have absorbed/internalized a decent chunk of the recurring fantasy vocab so it’s a lot smoother sailing now.

26 Likes

Starting to see gains from reading NHK every day. My tutor had recommended the Smart News app but that thing was loaded with so many Trackers I didn’t feel comfortable having it on my phone. So for now I will just stick with NHK and the occasional Yahoo news (for subversive celebrity PR articles posing as news).

27 Likes

The more you post about it, the more I feel like I should copy :eye: :eye:

Idk when I’ll be able to add on more to-do, but I want to now. Thank you for the inspiration!

11 Likes

Home

Not having a very good time of it today, so I didn’t read very much.

I read SPY×FAMILY mission 12. I forgot this series is harder than the other stuff I typically read, likely at least partially because of the political vocab. I have less than zero interest in politics, why did I get invested in this series (well, I know why, because of all the hijinks and the fake family that doesn’t realize they’re a real family, but still).

Anyway, I remember when the episode that corresponds to this chapter came out..

and in response to Yuri’s reaction to Loid, anime-only fans were making posts on tumblr like, “You got something you wanna tell the class, Yuri?” and how he’s bi and how Loid is a Briar magnet and whatnot, and, god, I wish that were the case. As long as it didn’t turn into some threesome shit, that would be so much better than the reality, that Yuri has incestuous feelings toward his sister and thus no man other than himself will ever be good enough for her and he refuses to admit that “Loid Forger” might just well be.

Ooh, the dodgeball chapter is coming up this volume! I can’t wait! And it seems the next volume is when we meet Bond.

Some vocab of note:

虚々実々 (きょきょじつじつ) [四字熟語, noun, の-adj.] full of wiles and tricks; match between persons of equal shrewdness mobilizing all of the tricks each can muster; shrewdly avoiding the opponent’s strong points and attacking their weaknesses
前後不覚 (ぜんごふかく) [四字熟語, noun, な-adj.] having no recollection of one’s actions

26 Likes

The articles I am following keep getting longer so I am debating keeping the 2 articles a day minimum or should drop it down to 1 to avoid burnout. Their latest Ukraine story was like a full breakdown since the unmanned drone strike in Kyiv. I had been learning the words the last couple days and am now reading them much more comfortably.

Highly recommend you at least try out an article that looks interesting. I am using the 10ten Firefox add-on to help me get through the reading but I am using it less and less as I go on.

14 Likes

If you want a bit of variety in your articles sometimes I read https://realsound.jp/ - has book and movie and tech reviews and such. I’m mostly in it for the book reviews, but in general it’s been good for a bigger descriptive vocab workout than NHK usually gave me (which leaned towards politics a lot which I find tedious to read about in English even).

19 Likes

Thanks for the tip! I am pretty happy reading political stuff, but I am into a lot of other things, so thanks for the suggestion!

12 Likes

October 18 :maple_leaf: Home Post

Finished off ブルーロック volume 4 earlier! I meant to read more actually but I got distracted by other stuff again, as it goes :joy:

27 Likes

:books: :video_game: :maple_leaf: :fallen_leaf: October 18

Read the usual 狼と香辛料 ( 55% → 58% ). I think I was actually faster than usual but when I reached the usual 3% read I got lazy and got distracted until the hour was up. I should probably not look at the percentage and just see how much I can actually read staying focused for an hour.

29 Likes