📚📚 Read every day challenge - Fall 2022 🍁🍂

5159q8lwzRL.SL500

Read two pages in 鹿の王. It’s kinda difficult since it has many words and kanjis which I don’t know.Also if there was furiganas, they were maybe mentioned once (but I think per chapter). Kinda can’t remember that after reading it just once.
I try to add some vocabulary to Anki and hope if I train them I will remember it next time when encountering them.
Really slow at reading this book, so probably will try to read two pages per day and then read something easier.

26 Likes

:books: :video_game: :maple_leaf: :fallen_leaf: October 6

Steady progress on 狼と香辛料 (18% → 21%). I’m hoping I’ll speed up at some point but we are not there yet. I really hope I can read some VNs on the weekend at least. Don’t want to fall irrevocably behind on the ルーパーズ club :grimacing:.

27 Likes

On October the 7th I’ve read (so far):

Tadoku readers

温泉の科学 – にほんごたどく
吉四六さんの話 〜「ババクロウ」という魚〜 – にほんごたどく
湖山長者 ~ちょっとざんねんなお金持ちの話~ – にほんごたどく

23 Likes

I’m a bit late but would like to join too! My level is still low and this will be my first attempt at reading a book in japanese! :high_touch: I’ve chosen a book that looks like it could be good for a beginner: Pages don’t have a lot of text, story is hopefully simple, images, furigana… and it’s about Funassyi!!

First two pages were introducing funassyi the pear fairy. During day she works in PR/television for Funabashi city but at night she fights different games near the sea? The games include Sumo, races and じゃんけん. She seems to be exhausted.

Also got the summerbreak game in case reading the book is too exhausting and I wanna listen&read instead.

28 Likes

Deleted my Goblin Slayer Deck today, felt that the book that I have wanted to read since I started Japanese was 夜は短し歩けよ乙女, so I figure that is the deck I am gonna work through for now. Read みんなの日本語 CH3, and exercises. Didn’t read any books yet today. Not sure what it is but the last couple days I have been completely unmotivated. I am still reading, but not in the way I want to, which is good enough. I seem to be more motivated to watch ジョジョ at the moment. Which involves reading as I sometimes need to check the subs to make sure I got it or put in a new word in my SRS deck. So uhhhh yeah, sorry for the downer energy. Just tired today, but I did manage to do a bit of reading regardless!

27 Likes

:fallen_leaf::maple_leaf: October 6 :maple_leaf::fallen_leaf: home post link🏡

Read some sentences with sakubun.

24 Likes

07 October 2022

:house: Home Post

• Chainsaw Man (Chapter 20)

Yeah, right on the dot. He talks in a really archaic manner that even native speakers struggle with at times – imagine an overly dramatic medieval knight and then up the intensity.

24 Likes

Oct 7, Fri of Week 2 of Fall 2022 :maple_leaf:

• Spice and Wolf 6% => 9% (1 hour)
  • Death Note Vol.4 Ch.33

I feel like I need at least 1 material to be read relatively slow, although for this category it would be a weekly pace.

I can’t talk too much about Death Note (even a little fun part), because that would be a spoiler for the club.

27 Likes

:tiger2: :books: The Tanuki Autumn Onsen :hotsprings: :raccoon:

20221007 - 吾輩は狸である progress: 43.89% :scissors:

Master’s friend has become a walking advert - first, his amazing hat that doesn’t lose shape, and then his magical scissors which can be used in 14 different ways.

:fallen_leaf: Japanese found under the leaves :fallen_leaf:

Meowords

笊蕎麦「ざるそば」ー Zaru soba (also: ざる蕎麦)
纏綿「てんめん」ー Entanglement; clinging affection

The cover art for this is really cool

28 Likes

October 7th!

I finished Volume 5 of Happiness.
I really enjoyed this chapter, looking forward to starting Volume 6 now!

(Home Post)

25 Likes

:fallen_leaf: Day 7, 7th of October :maple_leaf:

:open_book: Back to my Home Post

Even more Tadoku books. This time it was じゃんけん, which was about how to play Schere-Stein-Papier in Japanese. I wonder why the three forms are called what they’re called, because obviously paper is かみ and not パー. Maybe something to look up this weekend. :smile:

And then I read 彼氏(かれし)がほしい! which was hilarious. It was about a girl that draws herself a boyfriend who becomes real, but oh no, she spilled water all over him! :joy: Kinda sad they didn’t have audio with this one, I wanted to hear the voiceactor go all out.

25 Likes

:maple_leaf: :jack_o_lantern: :snowflake: :christmas_tree: October 7 :christmas_tree: :snowflake: :jack_o_lantern: :maple_leaf:
Home Post

耳をすませば :black_cat:

Read the other half of this coming week’s reading (aka the one that starts tomorrow). I’m really enjoying this manga. I didn’t know what to expect, only what the first few pages implied. A guy have borrowed all the same books the protagonist does, and she becomes intrigued by him. And so I got intrigued by the story.

I like the whimsy in it. The feel of the seasons and its sound effects (it really sells me on the soundscape). I also like that there is real emotions and dramas going on with them. I feel like most of the people have their own lives going on all around, not just the protagonist. :slight_smile:

So yeah, enjoying the read. ^^

28 Likes

Home post :bookmark: Oct 7 :maple_leaf:

・ 本好きの下剋上 11 (35% → 37%)

Today I did not prioritize reading, was going to but I ended up putting it off. Will try to read Spice and Wolf tomorrow.

28 Likes

I finished my first book of the challenge, 西の魔女が死んだ! It was a short read (~160 pages) and very poignant and bittersweet. I’d recommend it for N3-N2 learners with a bit of reading experience.

I’m trying to do the Natively Level+1 challenge, so I’ll probably tackle かがみの孤城 or 麗子の風儀 next. かがみ is a level 28, whereas 麗子 is unranked, but I’ve read half of it already and it’s not too difficult. I guess I’ll see what mood I’m in tomorrow!

28 Likes

2022-10-08T01:25:00Z

Is this the Studio Ghibli movie Whisper of the Heart? I didn’t know there was a manga for it as well.

12 Likes

Not directed to me, but yeah, it’s the original manga of the Ghibli movie. The Beginner Book Club is currently reading it.

A live action has also been made and will be coming to theaters in Japan on October 14th. (The making of the movie was just being showed on TV so I thought it was a timely coincidence.)

16 Likes

Summary Post

Day 7: October 7th
What did I read?: 夜の名前を呼んで
How much did I read?: 30 pages
How long did it take me?: 41 min

Well this took a sinister turn :fearful: Rei is just proving himself worthy of my adoration though tbh, he is pure good and I love him <3 His old “buddy” from magical med school, on the other hand :eyes: They are not buddies, that’s some big air quotes on that

This guy randomly shows up out of nowhere. He apparently went into research after graduation. He’s fascinated by rare things - so much so that he has no qualms about hurting them, even destroying them, to fulfill his curiosity. And what is he fascinated with now? The girl with the rare disease that causes her to turn things to night, of course. :eyes: The sinister vibes on this man are just…ugh, amazingly done imo. He’s smiling, polite, friendly, but you know and Rei knows that there’s absolutely nothing in his soul. And he’s clearly brilliant, which makes him all the more frightening.

Side note, I love that there is a magic med school that Rei apparently attended - and he was apparently a great student, because of course he was. Two brilliant minds, with opposite morals and philosophies. Both with magic at their disposal. Help me, but I love this set-up >< I hope Mira comes out of this ok :cry: But I have great faith in Rei, I feel like he will always save her <3

26 Likes

:fallen_leaf::maple_leaf: October 7 :maple_leaf::fallen_leaf: home post link🏡

I read lesson 2 of ジャックと豆の木 on wasabi, in which Jack foolishly exchanges a cow for a single magical bean.

24 Likes

Joining a little late!

2022, 4th Quarter

O C T
:books:
:interrobang::interrobang:
:interrobang::interrobang: :interrobang::interrobang: :wolf::mag: :rocket::mag: :rocket::mag:
要約

Due to (redacted), my reading in any language has dropped off dramatically. I’m joining this challenge again in order to get back in the habit of reading Japanese. (After that I’ll try to get back to Mandarin reading, too.)

Personal guidelines:

• Don’t read the thread while I have it open to post in that day.

• So as not to feel pressured to read all the posts since my last update. I can read the thread at another time if I have the energy (and if not, take my figurative hearts in bulk, because you’re doing great).
  • Minimal posts for minimal energy required.

• Read novels in two separate 10+min sessions each day.

• Ten minutes: a priority read. Preferably the same one every day.
    • Ten minutes: free read. Can be the priority, can be any other novel.
  • Reading novels beyond that is optional and can be reported here or not. Any manga read can be reported here or not. Read-alouds can be reported here or not.

• Stretch goal for a good week: finish a volume of manga.

Priority reads:

:rocket: ミニスカ宇宙海賊 1 (:star:)
:comet: 君の名は
:skull: 死神の浮力
:cat2: 三毛猫ホームズの推理
:magic_wand: ハリー・ポッターと不死鳥の騎士団
:orange_book: 小川未明童話集
:houses: 青桐

Additional options:

:mag: 硝子の塔の殺人 (:star:)
:dagger: 本陣殺人事件
:wolf: 狼と香辛料 1
:test_tube: 聖女の魔力は万能です

Manga:

:scissors: 魔王城でおやすみ 10 (:star:)
:shallow_pan_of_food: ダンジョン飯 4
:boom: 鋼の錬金術師 5
:notebook: デスノート 1
:notes: のだめカンタービレ 6
:black_joker: 遊☆戯☆王 1
:performing_arts: ヤマトナデシコ七変化 1

Read-alouds:

• Monday - :volleyball: ハイキュー 5
  • Tuesday - :shinto_shrine: ノラガミ 2
  • Thursday - :gem: 伯爵と妖精 (小説) 1

I read something or other in days 1-3, but don’t remember what. I hadn’t decided what I wanted to do by day 4, but I read 10 minutes each of 狼と香辛料 1 and 硝子の塔の殺人. On days 5 and 6 I read 10 minutes each of ミニスカ宇宙海賊 1 and 硝子の塔の殺人.

I believe I’m close to the end of volume 10 of 魔王城でおやすみ, so I’ll make finishing that my stretch goal for the week.

29 Likes

I’m in a very bumpy minibus in the Philippines so going to copy and paste my notes from yesterday.

7/10 12 pages Spy family (finished mission), 16 pages Orange, 5 pages 夜カフェ, went over rest of 耳をすませば

This was my reading on the plane so went well overall. I’ve read a bit today already on a short plane ride but will post more later, provided good internet.

28 Likes