📚📚 Read every day challenge - Fall 2022 🍁🍂

Home・10月2日 continued

Read two more chapters of シャドーハウス 3 before the day ended. Every chapter I keep thinking “oh it’s getting interesting” and I’m waiting for it to reach its peak but it still seems to be building up the mystery. I’m thinking volume 3 is going to end on a massive cliffhanger, and I’ll have no choice but to invest in the series…

10月3日
Read chapter 38 of シャドーハウス 3. Well those pages were interesting… Is this going to turn into some kind of a battle royale?

I also read chapters 70 and 71 of 極主夫道 8. I accidentally fell asleep while waiting for Tan-chan to fall asleep so I didn’t get a chance to read any non-manga books today. However, PokeSpe also arrived today so I’m currently eyeing them…

27 Likes

:tiger2: :books: The Tanuki Autumn Onsen :hotsprings: :raccoon:

20221003 - 吾輩は狸である progress: 40.71% :crossed_swords:

Wagahai-cat devises a highly complex plan to conquer the mice menace, he scopes out the battlefield (the kitchen) and plans every detail like a military operation. He even likens himself to Admiral Tōgō, and that his hardships in this mouse-hunt are on par to the Admiral’s.

There is no way that a mouse will get the better of him now, he will definitely catch one, but for now he needs some rest before the going to war with the mice.

:fallen_leaf: Japanese found under the leaves :fallen_leaf:

Meowords

ステッキ ー Walking stick; cane
朧月「おぼろづき」ー Hazy moon (especially in spring) (new favourite word)

Congrats! :tada:

29 Likes

:maple_leaf: :jack_o_lantern: :snowflake: :christmas_tree: October 3 :christmas_tree: :snowflake: :jack_o_lantern: :maple_leaf:
Home Post

夜カフェ :cake:

Read only a couple of more pages today. It is definitely turning out to be an emotionally heavy chapter, and it just keeps getting worse, so I honestly didn’t feel like reading more. I might read something else later, although if I do, it’ll probably be the English novel I’m currently reading (Billy Summer by Stephen King).

Man, I just want this chapter of yoru cafe to be over, but I also don’t want to have to read it. :sweat:

26 Likes

:house_with_garden: Home post

10月01日

• ルーパーズ

10月02日

• ルーパーズ (end of chapter 11)

Updating the previous days now because I keep reading at late night and have absolutely no energy afterwards :smiling_face_with_tear: . Great start of the challenge so far! With the catch up of the couple chapters I had to do of ルーパーズ recently, I’ve been super into it and reading quite a lot of it lately. Managed to finish this last chapter in two or three sittings and it’s the longest we’ve had so far with 13000 characters so I’m pretty happy with that. I got curious, if anyone knows, what’s the average character number in a novel page?

I installed FF XV the other day just out of curiosity because I have it shared on Steam and played for a little bit. I might actually continue playing it but I need to watch a movie before that one of these days. I also re-installed Genshin Impact the other day, started it a long time ago but I made a new account because I want to play it fully in Japanese this time, we’ll see how that goes. The visuals and music in this game are absolutely gorgeous.

I tried using Game2Text for Genshin but it was terrible, it didn’t pick up anything because the text background is usually not black. To my surprise I tried the OCR of ShareX, the program I use to grab screenshots and audio for the Anki cards and it’s an absolute beast. It got everything I tried 100% accurate, so I’ll be definitely using that for the games where Game2Text doesn’t work, and for the VNs where Textractor doesn’t work either, like Zero Escape (I tried it but couldn’t get it to work in that one, if anyone did I’d appreciate some help!).

28 Likes

:fallen_leaf: Day 3, 3rd of October :maple_leaf:

:open_book: Back to my Home Post

Today I was extremely tired, but I managed to read two more DrDru stories! I almost stopped after the first one, because the website background changed to such a garrish color it hurt to read…

I read this story, which was about going shopping, and this story, which was about countries. I’m noticing how much it has helped me reinforce Katakana.

27 Likes

It really depends on the format of the book. Based on a maybe not-so-random selection of the books I’ve read (my bookshelf on bookmeter), I used jpdb to find the total amount of characters in the whole book, then I divided it by the amount of pages the book has (from bookmeter) to find an estimate.

Book Characters Pages Char/Page
Honzuki 1 158 457 351 451
Sword Art Online 1 141 359 352 402
Konbini Ningen 60 188 168 358
Kiki’s Delivery Service 84 180 256 329
Watashi no Shiawase na Kekkon 1 94 572 288 328
Kusuriya no Hitorigoto 1 106 624 328 325

So the average based on this tiny sample would be 366 characters per page :3

26 Likes

Oooh that’s really helpful <3 thanks for taking the time! :raccoon:

14 Likes

Is that words or characters? I haven’t logged that stat for my past books, but for my current one it’s about 356 characters/page :thinking:

12 Likes

Nice catch! You’re right, I was looking at the word count instead of the character count :sweat_smile: Fixed now! cc @rikaiwisdom

12 Likes

Kinda funny, since the average is so close to 365, if you e.g. read 10000 characters per day you’ll also read about 10000 pages in a year.

14 Likes

…omg, this is making me question my reading goals :joy:

I don’t know if you saw in the tadoku/extensive reading thread, but @Naphthalene conquered the amazing achievement of reading 300 books in just over 7 years and is almost at 100 000 pages too (95188 pages). I’m just like, … that’s a crazy pace! Such consistency! How in the actual! :exploding_head:

consults bookmeter how many pages I’m at now :female_detective:

19 Likes

If I remember correctly, @Naphthalene’s bookmeter stats doesn’t include manga, so that is even more :exploding_head: !

13 Likes

True! :exploding_head: I’m gonna keep using bookmeter for both manga and books, so I’ll have to keep track of those pages manually. I kinda knew already, but now I definitely can’t keep using google docs for tracking books anymore, I must switch to excel. Docs can only hold so much reasonable table in one page :sweat_smile:

16 Likes

:books: :video_game: :maple_leaf: :fallen_leaf: October 2

Had some time to read so I read some more 狼と香辛料 (8% → 12%), pretty decent progress compared to other days.

:books: :video_game: :maple_leaf: :fallen_leaf: October 3

And some more 狼と香辛料 (12% → 14%), but it’s slow going. Hopefully I can get back to reading one of the VNs soon, but finding time has been hard lately.

27 Likes

I hate how frequently this comes up, so let’s just say what’s a Daisoujou reading post without constant, seemingly un-diagnosable health problems making it harder? Keeping this short cause my hands ache –

It’s pretty good that I read 4200 characters of Flowers today, all things considered. Still slipping on so many kanji I know, but the actual understanding portion was easy. There’s been more character development and I quite like pretty much the whole cast at this point. I’ll try to talk in more detail soon since it’s been a while, but my very slow on and off pace has left me not that far in still (just started chapter 6, right after solving the “disappearance” of Ichigo.

29 Likes

October 3rd!

Today I read chapter 20 of Shadows House. This week the bookclub is reading chapter 19 and 20, but I accidentally read 19 last week so I only needed to read 1 chapter today.
The story is getting super interesting, I really want to see where it goes.

(Home Post)

28 Likes

Home post :bookmark: Oct 3 :maple_leaf:

・ 本好きの下剋上 11 (20% → 26%)

Today was great! :3 Why youtube while eating dinner when there are books to be read? #ascendance-of-a-reading-habit

(I might actually need to acquire some eye drops for more intense days tho :caught_durtling: )

32 Likes

Today I only managed to read 4 pages of the Shin Kanzen Master Reading JLPT N1 book.

For some reason I’m always super busy and don’t have much time to read.
:sob:

24 Likes

Yes, I am using Natively to track the total. One advantage is that it gives you a separate page and book count for different categories, thus avoiding @Redglare‘s problem.

The issue instead is that Natively only tracks unique books, you can’t add re-read.
I have 940 unique books on Natively, but that includes 2 short stories, so 938. I’ve re-read at least 1+1+1+30+20 volumes from manga series I dropped for a while and decided to re-read from the start, some first volumes that got free on Booklive (even though I had previously read the physical version) and 薬屋のひとりごと 1 with the WK book club. So at least 991… soooo close.
(The first manga I completed was back in 2009 though, so that’s over more than 13 years… someone born the day I read my first manga in Japanese is now old enough to use WK :joy:)

30 Likes

On October the 3rd I’ve read:

• Today’s NHK Easy News
  • Finished reading わんわん探偵団。I managed to understand most of it, but I do need to reread all three stories again – this time more carefully, taking notes on items I don’t know. There are also two more わんわん探偵団 books, but I don’t have them and I want to concentrate on the books I do have.
  • Played some more 二ノ国、which provides a good source of reading – quest log, item descriptions, dialogues, including those with ordinary citizens, tutorials, the マジックマスター book…
27 Likes