Race to Your Goal! December 2020 JLPT

Congrats to @JoJoJapan and @BenMuella23! Great work leveling!

6 Likes

Congratulations to all that leveled up!
It’s becoming a bit much to keep track of you all. :laughing:

I have another 32 lessons waiting for me because I guru’d the first couple kanji. A few more to go.

3 Likes

Do the tango tango!

@FennelFox Hello, please could you add me to the leaderboard? My goal is to achieve level 60 by December 2020. I don’t know if its possible but I its something i’m striving for :slight_smile: Thank you!

2 Likes

You’re in! Welcome to the race! :slight_smile:
Let us know if you want to update your speed or goal (which I guess might differ from the standard level 60 since you’re aiming for december 2021).
And hope to see you around here in the forums! The more you participate, the sooner you’ll gain member status

2 Likes

Whoops, that was a typo definitely meant 2020 aha! I literally just made member status which is cool! Thanks for adding me to the race :smile:
I hope to see you around the community too!
Random thought but there is a thread for people who want to start Genki 1 together from July 11. They are going at the pace of 1 chapter a week with discussion and answer sharing on the thread. We are a similar level might you be interested? Genki I study group, starting July 11!

2 Likes

I’m going to be participating in that Genki group, and I also have a goal of 60 by December 2020. It’s possible but it’s gonna be tough I think… But what is fun, if it isn’t tough, right?

3 Likes

I think the genki group may be a bit too easy for me. Since I technically already finished 皆の日本語 book 1 and 2 and I guess Tobira too, though I have to admit I didn’t really follow the classes with that book for various reasons.
I might still lurk along and see if I can learn anything new, but I won’t be actively participating.

1 Like

Thanks for the invite! I’ll definitively take a look, but I don’t think I’ll follow the program since I’m currently looking for upper-intermediate level materials

1 Like

Have you looked into the kanzen master series yet? Seems like a solid series

1 Like

To be honest I have been neglecting proper N2 prep for a while now. I should get working on that soon if I want to attempt the test in December :thinking:

I’ve heard about the Kanzen Master series (there were a few threads about it, right?), but haven’t really looked into them…

3 Likes

since it’s a five book series for each level of JLPT, it looks to be very comprehensive to me, I haven’t used it yet but I’m gonna buy them for N3, probably around August-September

1 Like

I’ll be joining the genki study group as well! :raising_hand_woman: I once made it to chapter 10 by myself but that’s almost two years ago, so it’ll be a good review for me in the beginning and afterwards a good motivation to get beyond chapter 10 this time when studying together with others!

About kanzen master:
I’m currently using the grammar, listening and reading book for jlpt n4. I like the series and the grammar book is good for knowing which grammar point might turn up for the test but I think the explanations fall short sometimes, at least for my standards. So I usually look up new grammar points in Genki 1 & 2 and the Dictionaries of Basic / Intermediate Grammar (as Genki 1 & 2 don’t cover everything) to get to know more details and see more examples.
The listening book is so far my favorite because it tought me a lot about nuances to look out for in the listening section. But you get through the book quite fast, so it kinda feels like it’s not worth the price considering how quickly you’re done with it (I recommend buying second hand!).
I think I will buy at least the grammar and listening book for N3 as well (but second hand if possible) later this year. Partly because I intend to take the jlpt n3 next year but also because I think the grammar book is a good starting point to see what grammar to study after Genki 1 & 2.
I can’t tell though how kanzen master compares to other series like sou matome.

6 Likes

I feel like I already spent too much money on learning resources. I don’t really have much to begin with.
And I’m saving up for the lifetime of wanikani when the sale hits. I’ll still have some months left by that time, since I bought a year in May or April or so. But even more books? I already have so many. I’ll go through them all and then try online stuff first.

Also, I leveled up. Finally. Took me… well, let’s check… 11 days and 4 hours. Phew that’s a bit more than I would have liked. But so be it.
Got 90 new lessons opened up. At least 40 of that is vocabulary. I’ll do 20 now, 20 tomorrow and see where we end up.

11 Likes

Yes, I agree, go with what you have! Don’t buy unnecessary resources if you already have stuff at home or online for free!

I’m in a position to say that I can afford these kind of books if I really think it’s necessary for me but I always try to buy second hand first. (But it’s not because of the money - less consumerism and trying to live less ecologically harmful, you know… So I basically try to buy everything that I need second hand if possible, it’s not just about books). I bought the basic and intermediate dictionary second hand, for example. I think it was one of the best investments I made, I love these books to look up grammar points!

And congratulations on the level up! :tada: I just leveled up, too :partying_face:

4 Likes

I just leveled up to Level 4. I’m officially a WaniKani subscriber, and if I keep up pace, I’ll finish 60 before December 2020.

7 Likes

For a second there I read your name as ObiWan-Shinobu. Now it’s marginally less perfect, but credit where credit is due, that’s a cool name :rofl:

1 Like

I admit ignorance as to who or what Shinobu would be. But shinobi is another name for ninja, so that’s where that came from.

2 Likes

Welcome! Thanks for joining us! It’s great to have you.

@carlostdev thanks for adding them!!

Congratulations on leveling @krysta84, @frayderike, @ObiWan-Shinobi, and @SuperEyeRoller !!

.。゚+..。(^▽^)/+…。*゚+

I leveled too.

3 Likes