Quiet Mode: Don't want to draw attention to yourself?

I can’t read Japanese without my purple highlighter :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

4 Likes

This is something I’ve thought a bit about. I don’t really want to add color or color changes, since those are fairly eye-catching. If the entire upper field suddenly turned dark, that’d really stand out. Personally, I’ve managed to largely get used to the lack of color association… with a healthy helping of WaniKani Override, I suppose. :sweat_smile:

I’m not sure, though - is this a big problem? I’d love to hear all your thoughts on whether a tiny bit of color difference is needed. If it’s something that really hurts the usefulness of the user style, I should probably take a look at changing it up. What do you all think?

Well, on a second thought, I’m not sure anymore. I mean, in real texts there won’t be any highlights whatsoever to help you flip that switch in your brain to tell them apart… So in a sense, your quiet mode in its current state helps not to become too reliant on highlights…

I’m on the opposite side: the change in colors made me more attentive and I don’t make stupid mistakes like answering with the reading when the meaning is wanted. The difference between reviews on my phone (with colors) and on my computer at work (with you script) is very important, and it’s a very good surprise. By curiosity, did you think about this side effect when you did this style ?

Thanks a lot, really !

1 Like

Here’s an update for you all! Quiet Mode version 1.1 fixes a couple of spacing details and general bugs, and adds a new small-window mode for those that would like to use it. I’d say it isn’t really needed in most cases, but I added it in anyway… If it ends up being more detrimental than helpful (for example, you might end up feeling on edge), I might have to take it out again. Here’s a little demo gif I recorded:

Tiny window

I actually wrote this update just a couple of days after writing the first version, but I never got around to releasing it. Whoops.

Hope you enjoy! Let me know what you think.

I didn’t! I’m glad to hear it’s worked out well for you! :smile:

This is perfect for my work. Thank you so much!

1 Like

I usually end up doing my reviews in a coffee shop on my laptop, and I would looooove for someone to notice I was on WK and for them to come over and say, ‘hey, that’s WaniKani. How long have you been learning Japanese?’… Haha.

So far no luck on that. Can you make an opposite plugin which makes the colours even brighter? :stuck_out_tongue:

Joking aside, this actually seems really useful for quite a few situations. I’ll bookmark it for future reference.

1 Like

This looks really good actually surprised I never saw it before. I’ll try it out.
I don’t like doing reviews at work because I don’t want people to ask questions. I mean my boss doesn’t care I do promotional stuff for intel and even read the news without issue.
But even one of my co workers likes to say “your still going that Japanese crap when you just going to give up”

This script (style) is a lifesaver and worth a bump. :grin:

2 Likes

Made a Stylus version:

2 Likes

wow i was just about to talk about this bug i had and how a mode like this would be useful! it’s not 100% accurate but it’s pretty close.

a dark mode version of quiet mode would be really sick

edit: this thread was like 5 years ago my bad

This script really helped me do the reviews in my workplace, but it stopped working after the WK update. I would really appreciate an update.

2 Likes