Questions about leveling up

How long does it take to level up (on average)? wkstats.com says my average level up time is 7 days and 7 hours. Is this a fast or slow time? Do higher levels contain more content and therefore my level up speed will go down? What do you think is a good level up speed to aim for? I’m very new to wanikani so I apologize in advance if this is posted in the wrong category :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

The level-up cycles vary by level; there are “Fast Levels” and “Normal Levels”. I’m not sure which are fast/slow exactly, but I know that 1 and 2 are fast. This means that it takes half as long to attain the fastest level-up time possible.

I would say that there isn’t a “speed” to aim for; you’ll be ready to level up when you’re familiar with the content from the level before.

Hi! Welcome to WK!

(Also, I put this post under ‘Requesting Help’. )

2 Likes

thank you!

1 Like

Level 1 and 2 can be done in 3 days 10 hours, but until the 40s all levels take at least 6 days 20 hours, so 7 days 7 hours is fast.

8 Likes

That’s fast nice job! What’s important is to be consistent and go at a pace you’re comfortable with and allows you to really learn the kanji. Personally, i have an average of 160days+ per level :wink:

3 Likes

it is not important at all imo.
please enjoy your stay !!!

2 Likes

Hello hello, welcome!

To the point that very many users have ended up in trouble because of it.

If you are consistent in that speed, about 6 months from now, Burn reviews will get added to your daily review allotment. This means two to three hundred reviews every single day.

A lot of people start with loads of enthusiasm, but when enthusiasm wanes as it always, always does with a year+ endeavour, some lose momentum, and get mired in the fact that they have hundreds or thousands of reviews piling up in a matter of days.

As has been said so many times: it’s a marathon, not a sprint. Full / high speed WK takes maybe 2 hours a day. But you also need time for grammar / vocab / reading / listening / speaking (if you’re aiming to go beyond the passive skills).

So going fast in WK is fun, but a balanced study diet is always best. If you don’t have 2-4h to spend on Japanese a day, 7 days a week, I wouldn’t worry about being fast or slow. I think versatility and sustainability should be a top priority, because that will get you the best progress.

Welcome again and best of luck!

10 Likes

For levels 1 and 2, it wouldn’t be particularly fast, but as others said, what’s important is going at a speed you’re comfortable with.

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.