Question about how Wanikani works

When you have an item on enlightened and it is presented to you again, and you get it wrong, does the item go back to apprentice and the whole process starts again? Or does it go back to Master? or what? Please advise.

1 Like

Below Guru levels, items go back 1 level per 2 mistakes you make (but usually you only make 1 or 2 mistakes per review), so if you get an Apprentice 4 item wrong, it will go back to apprentice 3. Above Guru however they go back 2 stages. So An Enlightened item you get wrong would go back to being Guru 2, since it skips Master and back to englightened.

2 Likes

Additionally, it is possible to send items back further, if you repeatedly fail both answers during the review session.

Sometimes, I intentionally do so for items I feel really unsure about, since Guru 2 might not give me enough extra repetitions to fully learn the item.

I had no idea it worked like this… :exploding_head: I wonder if this is a valid argument against the use of back to back scripts (and perhaps why WK hasn’t added that feature yet), as it’s unlikely you’ll get an item wrong more than twice when using them?

I’ve been using back to back for ages because I think it just feels nicer, but I’ve no doubt had many items that haven’t been sent back as far as they would of had I not been using it. Whether that’s bad or not, I don’t really know…

1 Like

it’s not often, but it happens with leeches, especially if you’re doing a big batch sort of review session. But, yeah, normally you probably won’t answer something wrong more than once. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks for the replies.

2 Likes